Christian Ehrhoff bought out; Signs with PIT, 1yr $4M

Hoss

@TSNBobMcKenzie: BUF has initiated compliance buyout procedures on Christian Ehrhoff. Not official just yet but BUF has begun the process.

Looks like I'll be eating a nice crow this morning. Did not think this was possible.

The spending will have to increase this offseason even more.

Edited by Tankalicious

I don't like this move. Jettisoning a real NHL defenseman because there might be a cap hit in 5 or 6 years? It's too clever, and too cautious, by half.

5-6 years down the line were going to have a roster full of first round picks reaching the end of restricted free agency, so I get the fear, but if he goes and signs with the islanders and plays well I'm gonna be pissed.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

I think Ehrhoff will end up getting more on the open market than he was making in Buffalo.

@JoeYerdonPHT: How bad does Darcy Regier look now for the summer of 2011? Leino and Ehrhoff both bought out.

Good point.

Edited by Tankalicious

5-6 years down the line were going to have a roster full of first round picks reaching the end of restricted free agency, so I get the fear, but if he goes and signs with the islanders and plays well I'm gonna be pissed.

With his choice of teams to go to, I highly doubt the Islanders will be his ultimate destination..

My guess would be that Ehrhoff has expressed a strong desire to be out of here and that the Sabres expect him to play like he did at the EoY in which case they're (marginally) better off w/out him. Since the contract makes him untradeable, out he goes. I now expect his NMC keeps him off waivers - otherwise this makes very little sense.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.