Christian Ehrhoff bought out; Signs with PIT, 1yr $4M

Hoss

My guess would be that Ehrhoff has expressed a strong desire to be out of here and that the Sabres expect him to play like he did at the EoY in which case they're (marginally) better off w/out him. Since the contract makes him untradeable, out he goes. I now expect his NMC keeps him off waivers - otherwise this makes very little sense.

I agree with all of this. I think Ehrhoff wanted out and may have even demanded his exit.

With his choice of teams to go to, I highly doubt the Islanders will be his ultimate destination..

I agree. That is just the scenario that would piss me off the most.

How awesome is it that the worst team in the league just cut its best defensemen. They really should look into tweaking the draft lottery system to try and address things like this.

5-6 years down the line were going to have a roster full of first round picks reaching the end of restricted free agency, so I get the fear, but if he goes and signs with the islanders and plays well I'm gonna be pissed.

Wherever he goes, he's gonna be a pretty solid NHL defenseman.

I get the fear too, but there are so many things that can happen between now and then -- including the likelihood that he simply plays out his contract.

I think the cap issue is a fig leaf and that this move is actually motivated by the desire to tank and lock in Eichel.

If it were really a cap move, it wouldn't make sense because he has to clear waivers -- and if someone claims him (and I don't understand why someone wouldn't), the Sabres are still stuck with the hypothetical future cap hit.

I get the fear too, but there are so many things that can happen between now and then -- including the likelihood that he simply plays out his contract.

I think the cap issue is a fig leaf and that this move is actually motivated by the desire to tank and lock in Eichel.

If it were really a cap move, it wouldn't make sense because he has to clear waivers -- and if someone claims him (and I don't understand why someone wouldn't), the Sabres are still stuck with the hypothetical future cap hit.

If he has a NMC, then he DOESN'T have to clear waivers. He can agree to going directly to bought out.

Could this move in some way predicate a larger move coming ? i.e. Myers ?

Edited by bunomatic

Instead of putting this board's filter to the test I'll just say this is moronic. And this is coming from someone who wants to tank this season to high heavens.

It was obvious that Ehrhoff no longer wanted to be in Buffalo, but I'm surprised that he's being CBOed in lieu of a trade..

I guess the cap recapture did have some negative affect.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2014/03/30-thoughts-changing-odds-in-nhl-draft-lottery.html

"10. Asked about other teams being interested in Tyler Myers, Murray said there was no offer remotely close enough to make him consider dealing either Myers or Christian Ehrhoff. The GM added the "cap recapture" possibilities at the end of Ehrhoff's contract (eg., a $10-million penalty if he retires with one year remaining) are a concern and affect trade scenarios."

I'm fine with that - but don't worry about 2020 - trade him.

Even if cap is $80MM then, that $10 cap hit is 12.5% of the full cap. Ehrhoff WILL be retired by then. That cap hit isn't a hypothetical with him gone this offseason.

Which of the 'young studs' they're bringing in now do you want them to let go for peanuts then?

Take the talent hit now and keep the sheet clean moving forward.

@RealKyper

# Sabres Ehrhoff has the option to not go on #NHL waivers. Won't get his buyout agreement until he notifies club he is opting out of waivers

We can't all get what we want. He's a top pairing Dman at a great cap hit. In two years when the team is much improved he'd be a major asset to winning.

TM and TN most likely didn't want any negativity around the team with so many younger guys around. Makes sense from that perspective.

If he has a NMC, then he DOESN'T have to clear waivers. He can agree to going directly to bought out.

It looks like you're right -- good call.

However, I still believe this is a tanking-motivated action, not a fear-of-future-cap-hit action.

Worry about now instead of 2020? When we'll actually be competing? Bad idea.

I don't like your tone - I might have to go post in the other thread instead. ;)

By 2020 the cap will probably be 100 mil and there is only one possible way the cap recapture really comes into play then anyway so it isn't worth thinking about.

When does this current CBA expire?

No. They obviously should be haha.

One nuance of this situation is whether you will post in the other thread. On the one hand, you want your thread to have more posts in it and be the one that "survives" the merger. On the other hand, you want to jump in on that conversation. There are a bunch of posts just crying out for a response!

What's it gonna be?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.