Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

Personally, I prefer uncommon names to extremely common ones (having lived with one myself), but not really stupid, goofy ones.  Names like North, Apple, Unique and anything on this list are just mean to give a kid.  Bohdi, on the other hand, doesn't bother me at all.  Less common (though, the type that could become a fad name), but a real name.

Personally, I prefer uncommon names to extremely common ones (having lived with one myself), but not really stupid, goofy ones.  Names like North, Apple, Unique and anything on this list are just mean to give a kid.  Bohdi, on the other hand, doesn't bother me at all.  Less common (though, the type that could become a fad name), but a real name.

Didn't Steve Ott name his kid Maverick? And Jordan Leopold name his daughter Jordyn?

Not sure where those rank....

Didn't Steve Ott name his kid Maverick? And Jordan Leopold name his daughter Jordyn?

Maverick is dumber than Bodhi.  By FAR.

There are plenty of women named Jordan; spelling it with a 'y' doesn't rise to misdemeanor level, IMO.

Edited by Eleven

What is the success rate on these "unique" names?  Has anyone ever heard a really unusual baby name and thought "Wow, great job!"  And if you're this kid, you're basically being sentence to a lifetime of repeating your name for people who are confused and explaining how to spell it.  Way to go.

I doubt anyone has ever been made more unique, special, or interesting person by their parents' choice of name.  It's really just the parents' chance to announce to the world how pretentious and douchey they are.

And if you're announcing the name of your child AND the meaning (e.g. "enlightenment!") of that name, that's not a good sign.  (I don't count family names or cultural names as "meaning" explanations; those are fine.)

And if you're announcing the name of your child AND the meaning (e.g. "enlightenment!") of that name, that's not a good sign. (I don't count family names or cultural names as "meaning" explanations; those are fine.)

They didn't announce it. I looked it up.

So I mentioned this thread to my wife (her quote: "How Mom-advice* of them"), and when I said Bodhi she replied, "like the tree in India? And she's of Indian descent? That's not weird at all."

* Mom-advice is a group on FB that Mom's get together and discuss current events, babies, names, food, etc. Think of it like SabreSpace, but with the opposite gender skew.

Saw something in the STL-DET game that I have never seen before.

Pietrangelo lost a blade on one of his skates making him a one-legged skater.  It happened in the neutral zone.  As he was hopping/hobbling to the bench, Detroit essentially had the man advantage and pressed the attack in the STL zone.  

The ref, helped push Pietrangelo off the ice allowing the Blues to change a player.

Is that level of interference  by a ref on behalf of one team allowed?

Pietrangelo lost a blade on one of his skates making him a one-legged skater. It happened in the neutral zone. As he was hopping/hobbling to the bench, Detroit essentially had the man advantage and pressed the attack in the STL zone.

The ref, helped push Pietrangelo off the ice allowing the Blues to change a player.

Is that level of interference by a ref on behalf of one team allowed?

I've seen that before in the NHL. Can't remember where or when but I've seen it.

Pietrangelo lost a blade on one of his skates making him a one-legged skater.  It happened in the neutral zone.  As he was hopping/hobbling to the bench, Detroit essentially had the man advantage and pressed the attack in the STL zone.  

Is that level of interference  by a ref on behalf of one team allowed?

That's an extreme circumstance.  I'm fine with the ref helping.

Give him a break. He's spent time in the southern tier. It's not exactly a mosaic.

We used to have a homophone bar here, you could come in with a good reed, but the customers: habitually blue.

Just saw a Mirtle thread that Max Afinigonev is third in the KHL in penalty minutes. Thought that was funny.

Incredible.

Tyler Myers not mentioned in article about great Kelowna Rockets defenseman..

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=758998

That's really odd. Doesn't his picture accompany the article tease on the front page of the site?

I think the article you linked might be a sidebar or something. This one features Myers prominently: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=758763&navid=DL|NHL|home

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain

Kessel has 7 goals in 42 games this season. That says a lot about some players' abilities to overcome mediocre teammates and dejection. Remind us of anyone? Maybe a bit of Ehrhoff, Leino and Cody Hodgson. Some players can only take losing for so long and they play with a heavy heart. I know it's not professional but I think that's the way it is.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.