Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

That could be a good move. It's a shame the Isles pick the year we have their pick to all of a sudden be great. Now Snow looks like he knows what he's doing - which, um, maybe he did all along...

No way he trades it if it was another top 5 unless he had 2 & 5 and wanted 1.

Yeah that Vanek trade was gold.

Would you trade the first pick in this draft for Sid?

I wouldn't trade anything for Crosby.  I can respect his talent but I don't want him on my team.  I think the Penguins are weaker with him in the lineup and not having Malkin.  I think Malkin is the better player and I would rather have him over Crosby.  It's nothing against Crosby's ability, he's one of the best skilled hockey players to play the game. It's the rest of it I think that fails him.

Does it follow then that Pittsburgh would make that trade?

That's just it.  No one is going to trade away the 1st this year for Crosby because they have their own version of Crsoby.  But Pittsburgh doesn't need another Crosby.  They could get a lot in return for him without angling for the first pick.  They could get enough to stock the system and make Pittsburgh even more competitive now.  I would think they could anyway.. to the right team.  Perhaps not.. but I would investigate it.

But how can it be possible that Pittsburgh is not a dynasty with multiple cups, they did everything right and tanked to get a generational player to go with a bunch of other top picks......

Crosby and Fleury and probably more Fleury than anything else.

Keep in mind I am not saying Crosby sucks.  He's a great player. He just doesn't strike me as the player that's going to pull everyone along with him all the time. I'd take Stamkos over him anyday. Given his performance this year I would consider Ovechkin over him. But that would not be a done deal for me.

That might make a good thread: The Oiler's Problems/Model. I'd like to see everyone opinions on what/who they could have specifically gone after, with some stats/analysis to back it. 

I think their biggest issues have been drafting after the first and not addressing Goaltending or defense.

They've been taking best-player-available in the 1st every draft, which in their case has been a 1-way goal scoring forward. If they could parlay just one of those picks (or trade the resulting player) for 3-4 pieces (top-2 D, 2nd line 2-way center, pick, and prospect would seem reasonable) they'd be in a lot better shape. Instead, they have 3 (?) #1s and a few more top-5s filling out their top-6 forwards. Think of it like the Sabres 2007-12 "core" with more talent but with a much worse D and goal tending.

That's just it.  No one is going to trade away the 1st this year for Crosby because they have their own version of Crsoby.  But Pittsburgh doesn't need another Crosby.  They could get a lot in return for him without angling for the first pick.  They could get enough to stock the system and make Pittsburgh even more competitive now.  I would think they could anyway.. to the right team.  Perhaps not.. but I would investigate it.

Come on, Garth; we're all counting on you.

If you needed more reason to dislike Jack Edwards, read this article, especially the last paragraph on the first page and the first paragraph on the second page:  http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/highschool/article/Scott-Ericson-Power-of-clicks-New-Canaan-s-6133059.php#page-1

Wow, what a shame! Yahoo is notorious for what Scott Ericson is alluding to in the story. Yahoo authors must get paid by the hits. They fabricate more stories than any "leading" news source I follow. I never go to ESPN so have no opinion on their accuracy.

Edited by Woods-Racer

Pretty big stuff out of the GM meetings

3v3 OT going to players for discussion

Coach's challenge looks to be in

Cap could *shrink* to the $68 million range if the players don't okay the escalator (then it goes to the commonly projected $71 million range). Anyone hoping for the Sabres to pluck some cap casualties on the cheap should hope the players refuse the escalator.

Cap could *shrink* to the $68 million range if the players don't okay the escalator (then it goes to the commonly projected $71 million range). Anyone hoping for the Sabres to pluck some cap casualties on the cheap should hope the players refuse the escalator.

Anyone want to chip in a short description of what the escalator is?

Wow, what a shame! Yahoo is notorious for what Scott Ericson is alluding to in the story. Yahoo authors must get paid by the hits. They fabricate more stories than any "leading" news source I follow. I never go to ESPN so have no opinion on their accuracy.

I stopped going to Puck Daddy a long time ago, not just because of the obvious click-bait, but because they kept trying to shoe-horn political stances into their hockey stories. 

It was pretty funny when the worst offender - Harrison Mooney - was fired for being creepy to female hockey fans who'd chat with him about hockey on Twitter.

The Hockey News is going down the same path as a blog these days. Adam Proteau is the WORST hockey writer in the business, and if you challenge him on any of his moral outrages, he blocks you. It's funny because going back to Puck Daddy, Greg Wyshynski - the same one in the above article - got himself blocked by Proteau just for challenging him. It's nonsense.

I'd rather get informed and misinformed here these days because at least most of us don't take ourselves too seriously. This is hockey we're talking about. It's meant to be a diversion from life - not another thing to get scolded about.

It's sad that just a few misinformed bloggers full of righteous indignation can tarnish the name of a good guy. 

Will the players consider 3v3 in OT a move down the slippery slope toward 4v4 in regulation?

And if NFL coaches throw red flags, what will NHL have to do? I am thinking t-shirt gun, or they have to take their shirts off and toss them, ala that crazy coach from back in the day who went beserk.

Anyone remember that center we all really wanted in 2013 that was off the board before our pick? Well he's about to put up a 30 goal season on a playoff team, very impressive

You mean the one I lobbied heavily for the Sabres to trade up and get?  Sean Monahan, your talking about Monahan right?  

Ristolainen has been quietly good for Buffalo the second half of the season and I am excited to see how he does going forward. 

Monahan? MacKinnon? I honestly can't figure out who you are talking about.

Monahan. MacKinnon isn't on a playoff team this year  ;)

You mean the one I lobbied heavily for the Sabres to trade up and get?  Sean Monahan, your talking about Monahan right?  

Ristolainen has been quietly good for Buffalo the second half of the season and I am excited to see how he does going forward. 

I remember being very intrigued by Monahan; I don't follow the prospects nearly as much as some posters on here do but I remember you and a few others really wanting him so I like to keep track of how he's doing compared to Barkov, Horvat, etc. This will be his 2nd 20+ goal season, and he will in all likelihood hit 30 this year, which is much more than most of his constituents have managed. 

I love Riso, he's a great pick and I understand it takes longer for d-men to develop/have a huge impact. I think he'll be a top 10 defender in this league, with a high possibility of a top 5. Given where we are now, with Reinhart and McEichel around the corner (hopefully), I'd rather have Risto. 

I remember being very intrigued by Monahan; I don't follow the prospects nearly as much as some posters on here do but I remember you and a few others really wanting him so I like to keep track of how he's doing compared to Barkov, Horvat, etc. This will be his 2nd 20+ goal season, and he will in all likelihood hit 30 this year, which is much more than most of his constituents have managed. 

I love Riso, he's a great pick and I understand it takes longer for d-men to develop/have a huge impact. I think he'll be a top 10 defender in this league, with a high possibility of a top 5. Given where we are now, with Reinhart and McEichel around the corner (hopefully), I'd rather have Risto. 

I agree 100%. Knowing what I know now, Risto, but I was so disappointed we didn't get a centerman like Monahan or MacKinnon in that draft. But in retrospect, it worked out. Zadarov, too.

I think I was just shocked to see that Calgary was a playoff team this year. I haven't paid as close attention to the top of the standings this year, but I guess I just assumed they were as good as last year :blush:

Anyone want to chip in a short description of what the escalator is?

It's the automatic increase in the cap. one of the things negotiated in the latest CBA. Problem with the cap going up is the escrow the players get witheld from their checks during the season. I think it's around 14% now and would be 18% if the cap goes to 71-72.

I doubt they fight it, even though it hurts, it grows their revenues.

It's the automatic increase in the cap. one of the things negotiated in the latest CBA. Problem with the cap going up is the escrow the players get witheld from their checks during the season. I think it's around 14% now and would be 18% if the cap goes to 71-72.

I doubt they fight it, even though it hurts, it grows their revenues.

What is the escrow withheld for?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.