Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Hoss

Why would moving a RW hold up a deal on signing Ott - a LW that takes faceoffs?

I'm not looking at it as a specific position fill, just as filling a hole in the top nine. It could be anyone.

I could be out to lunch, but to me, Stewart is the only top nine guy Tim would be actively trying to shop right now.

From his comments, there is clearly a domino that has to fall before he will offer Ott a deal.

I'm not looking at it as a specific position fill, just as filling a hole in the top nine. It could be anyone.

I could be out to lunch, but to me, Stewart is the only top nine guy Tim would be actively trying to shop right now.

From his comments, there is clearly a domino that has to fall before he will offer Ott a deal.

Rumor is we're still in the running with David Legwand. He'd be such a perfect pickup for this team. I just might soil myself if we sign Leggy.

Maybe Ott is the next guy down the line after Leggy?

Rumor is we're still in the running with David Legwand. He'd be such a perfect pickup for this team. I just might soil myself if we sign Leggy.

Don't really see a spot for Legwand if they want to give Reinhart a shot.

Shame, I wanted to see what Stewart's play would look like with the Sabres.

Agree w/ the bolded but not sure why everybody thinks one of the few forwards TM has traded for is necessarily going to be the odd man out. Especially w/ regards to bringing Ott back. (Other than TM's uncle supposedly having a man-crush on him.)

The idea that they want Legwand more than Ott makes sense and because that would crowd up LW even more when Ennis gets pushed there by that move it seems plausible that that is the domino a decision on Ott is waiting on.

Agree w/ the bolded but not sure why everybody thinks one of the few forwards TM has traded for is necessarily going to be the odd man out. Especially w/ regards to bringing Ott back. (Other than TM's uncle supposedly having a man-crush on him.)

The idea that they want Legwand more than Ott makes sense and because that would crowd up LW even more when Ennis gets pushed there by that move it seems plausible that that is the domino a decision on Ott is waiting on.

I agree with most of that stuff, but I do believe Murray is looking at Stewart as an asset he can flip as a soon-to-be UFA and has since he brought him in. I'd like to see what the big man can do with Hodgson and Zemgus. I think there could be some good chemistry there.

I agree with most of that stuff, but I do believe Murray is looking at Stewart as an asset he can flip as a soon-to-be UFA and has since he brought him in. I'd like to see what the big man can do with Hodgson and Zemgus. I think there could be some good chemistry there.

Stewart's story is pretty interesting. Grew up dirt poor with basically nothing. He is a guy who is easy to root for: http://espn.go.com/e...t-their-way-out

Does this rumor have a source other than you and I advocating for it?

Don't really see a spot for Legwand if they want to give Reinhart a shot.

That's a big "if." I don't think they want to give SR a spot unless he earns it, and I don't think they'll make that call until they see his 9-game audition.

I can see Hodgson being on the block, recent TM comment notwithstanding.

Does this rumor have a source other than you and I advocating for it?

Nothing super substantial.

Newer stuff...

AllSenators@AllSenators 1h

Sens, Sabres and Leafs are all going after FA David Legwand

NHL EXPERT PICKS @NHLexpertpicks 1h

#Leafs have made an offer to Legwand, but are unwilling to spend more than $4M. #Sens #Sabres, among others, are interested as well.

Dreger this AM: "word on the street is that Ottawa is interested and perhaps the Sabres are interested in Legwand as well"

Edited by Potato

Nothing super substantial.

Newer stuff...

AllSenators@AllSenators 1h

Sens, Sabres and Leafs are all going after FA David Legwand

NHL EXPERT PICKS @NHLexpertpicks 1h

#Leafs have made an offer to Legwand, but are unwilling to spend more than $4M. #Sens #Sabres, among others, are interested as well.

Dreger this AM: "word on the street is that Ottawa is interested and perhaps the Sabres are interested in Legwand as well"

Thanks.

So maybe Hodgson out in trade, Legwand in and Reinhart marinates in juniors one more year?

Thanks.

So maybe Hodgson out in trade, Legwand in and Reinhart marinates in juniors one more year?

I just keep thinking that when Pat/Murray/Nolan took over, they basically trashed Darcy for trying to rush a bunch of kids to the NHL who weren't ready. First order of business was to send Grigo and Zadorov back to juniors, send Risto and Pysyk to Rochester, etc. So, I find it ironic that most here are immediately penciling an 18-year old kid into next year's lineup. I think it may be best to send him to juniors for another year unless he shows something truly special in camp. Otherwise it could be a repeat of the Grigorenko situation.

If so, then having another veteran forward around would make a ton of sense.

(all pure conjecture on my part, as always!)

Edited by Potato

I just keep thinking that when Pat/Murry/Nolan took over, they basically trashed Darcy for trying to rush a bunch of kids to the NHL who weren't ready. First order of business was to send Grigo and Zadorov back to juniors, send Risto and Pysyk to Rochester, etc. So, I find it ironic that most here are immediately penciling an 18-year old kid into next year's lineup. I think it may be best to send him to juniors for another year unless he shows something truly special in camp. Otherwise it could be a repeat of the Grigorenko situation.

Murray outright said they believed Reinhart to be NHL ready, but i see what you're saying.

I just keep thinking that when Pat/Murray/Nolan took over, they basically trashed Darcy for trying to rush a bunch of kids to the NHL who weren't ready. First order of business was to send Grigo and Zadorov back to juniors, send Risto and Pysyk to Rochester, etc. So, I find it ironic that most here are immediately penciling an 18-year old kid into next year's lineup. I think it may be best to send him to juniors for another year unless he shows something truly special in camp. Otherwise it could be a repeat of the Grigorenko situation.

I completely agree with this post.

Except one thing: this isn't irony.

except Reinhart has played over 200 games in junior right? and how many had Grigorenko played? Not nearly as many.

Situational irony: trash your predecessor for rushing his draftees into the league... and then do the same with your first draftee.

...Hopefully Samson is as good out of the gate as Murray expects him to be.

Murray outright said they believed Reinhart to be NHL ready, but i see what you're saying.

I thought I recalled him saying Reinhart didn't have anything left to prove in juniors, that doesn't necessarily make him NHL ready.

People are really ignoring the difference between prospects (ESPECIALLY Zadorov) who were considered raw in the middle of the first and a kid who was taken at the very top of the draft and considered ready to play. Everybody who knows more than us has been saying he's ready. He'll get a shot.

And I STILL don't get the obsession with Ott. He was nice, funny and liked the area. What else? He never really brought much skill-wise. He doesn't really impress me over many of the guys we already have. Most fan bases are lamenting the idea of their team even considering him (have seen a lot of Philly and Minnesota fans bashing the idea) yet we are obsessed and want news on him all the time.

People are really ignoring the difference between prospects (ESPECIALLY Zadorov) who were considered raw in the middle of the first and a kid who was taken at the very top of the draft and considered ready to play. Everybody who knows more than us has been saying he's ready. He'll get a shot.

Well, I think Drouin was considered at least as good as Reinhart and Tampa sent him down last year. A lot of top-5 guys (in fact I think it's the majority) still go back to juniors for 1 year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.