Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Hoss

Why would it be? It's not like we have to free up cap space. If they were worried about having too many bodies, that shouldn't be an issue that would stop you from signing someone today.

It may depend on the trade. For instance maybe he sees Ott and Stewart filling similar roles, and figures that he doesn't need Ott unless he makes a trade to move Stewart. For instance.

Eleven mentioned it in one of these threads, so there's at least two of us! And since he's actively vying for the title of Internet king, I figure he counts as the board :P

Oh, so Eleven is the one stirring this up? Not a surprise!

I've never questioned Pegula's financial commitment. Anyway, would today be the day for recrimina-she-owns against Pegula's critics? Did he win something yesterday?

Actually, if any posters should be hung in effigy, it's those who didn't want Tim Murray (or a Tim Murray) on day one of Pegula's ownership.

Ryan Miller, in a press conference that went on forever (his agent never told him just to announce that he's there to stop the puck) - mentioned how much Buffalo will and will always mean to him. Gracious.

I saw that too, thought it was really cool he mentioned Buffalo and how much he loved it there. It even kind of seemed that he got a tad bit choked up when talking about it, trying to hold back some tears. Maybe it was just me, but I saw/heard a couple other people say the same thing.

I hope they can build a winner there for him, I'd really like to see him get his chance at a Stanley Cup.

TBPhd, can you confirm that these guys will analytics us into an additional high lottery pick?

Unfortunately, the only thing I can confirm is that these guys will analytics the Isles closer to the playoffs. Kulemin is nothing to write home about, but he's a decent 3rd line player. Grabovski, on the other hand, analytics love and I think is a solid to good 2nd line center. Grabovski himself is a player who has positive possession stats relative to his team, and players who play with him not only show an increase in possession but also scoring, so he's the one driving the bus. So he's good for 40-50 points all while driving possession and making his teammates better. And these patterns have held true for five years no, so it's not a flash in the pan. The only positive is that he does have an injury history, so I wouldn't expect him to play a full season...but he's not as fragile as Dave Bolland, either.

Edit: I do plan on doing most of the leg work tomorrow for my post on why the Sabres place in the standings is unlikely to appreciably increase next year, so I should have some more lottery optimism (depending on your perspective...I'm sure there are those that would rather make a run at the playoffs and draft 10th than suck and draft 1st) by the weekend.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

The Isles were one of the worst defensive teams last year (let in the third most goals per game - only Florida and Edmonton were worse). I don't see how these pickups do anything to address that. Teams that can't defend very often end up at the bottom of the standings... I still think the Isles will be in the running for worst overall.

The Isles were one of the worst defensive teams last year (let in the third most goals per game - only Florida and Edmonton were worse). I don't see how these pickups do anything to address that. Teams that can't defend very often end up at the bottom of the standings... I still think the Isles will be in the running for worst overall.

One way to compensate for a bad defense is to push the play and just have to play less defense overall...today's signings help accomplish that.

Vrbata to Vancouver. Two years, $10 mill.

What a steal. Amazing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.