Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

What's your take on MacKenzie, I haven't done enough evaluation yet on the 2nd round to be honest.  Boeser over Bittner?? Does he have more skill, better hands?  Puck presence?

I have only watched bits and pieces of Blackwood but he seems to track the puck well, has a little bit of rebound issue on occasion but has good movement and size.  

I like Boeser over Bittner because I think Boeser works harder but I will say I think Bittner has a slightly better shot.  Boeser's all around game and work ethic really stand out at times. Also I think Boeser's intelligence stands out over Bittner.  At the end of the day Bittner has more risk in my mind with not all that much reward and one of the reasons scouts like Bittner is he is 6'4" to Boeser's 6'1" which I don't think matters as much.

There are several scenarios that play out where we get both.

Edited by Ligerovich 4GM

I have only watched bits and pieces of Blackwood but he seems to track the puck well, has a little bit of rebound issue on occasion but has good movement and size.  

I like Boeser over Bittner because I think Boeser works harder but I will say I think Bittner has a slightly better shot.  Boeser's all around game and work ethic really stand out at times. Also I think Boeser's intelligence stands out over Bittner.  At the end of the day Bittner has more risk in my mind with not all that much reward and one of the reasons scouts like Bittner is he is 6'4" to Boeser's 6'1" which I don't think matters as much.

There are several scenarios that play out where we get both.

I would like both by I can't see how both drop thar dramatically. I would take either, but I do like the height advantage provided he grows into his frame.

"Tim Murray does not care about public perception or what other GM's think" - Craig

Craig also says he doesn't want the Oilers to get McDavid because they have been so bad for so long and have had so many 1st overall picks. 

Edited by Ligerovich 4GM

Again there is still no reason, at all, to take a goalie in the first or in the first 2/3 of the 2nd. Lemieux will play more NHL games then Demko. (Ligerovich 4GM - June 28th, 2014, 12:22pm)

I agree.  

If the draft were held tomorrow I would do something like this...

31st overall - MacKenzie Blackwood 

Well, isn't this interesting? Lol. :flirt:

Edited by Bob Malooga

I am actually impressed that you went and found that.  Yes I like Blackwood more than I usually like goalies.  

Don't say Bob M never did his homework.

Liger would this interest in Blackwood also have to do with the Sabres perceived orginizational need at goalie, or do you really just like this prospect better than the other goalie prospects in previous years (to make you break your own rule)?

If we end up drafting #3, whoever we take is in the ultimate no win scenario, right? A significant portion of the fan base is going to be resentful, even if they don't mean to be, about what that player represents.

I think there's a chance that may be the case at first, but I don't think in the long run that fans would harbor any resentment towards say, Hanifin if we end up drafting him at 3, provided he comes in and eventually plays at the high level you'd expect to see out of a 3rd overall pick in a deep draft. I'm thinking about 2013, where we were close to the bottom during the year, and instead of a guy like MacKinnon or Drouin, we got Ristolainen. For the most part, people seem to talk about Risto from the point of view of the potential he seems to be exhibiting thus far, and he isn't often referenced in terms of "what could have been". At least not all that often.

Granted, McEichel is supposed to be a generational talent, so it will sting considerably worse if we miss out after being this close, but I think and hope that fans would appreciate the guy we would potentially select at 3 if that is where we end up drafting.

I think there's a chance that may be the case at first, but I don't think in the long run that fans would harbor any resentment towards say, Hanifin if we end up drafting him at 3, provided he comes in and eventually plays at the high level you'd expect to see out of a 3rd overall pick in a deep draft. I'm thinking about 2013, where we were close to the bottom during the year, and instead of a guy like MacKinnon or Drouin, we got Ristolainen. For the most part, people seem to talk about Risto from the point of view of the potential he seems to be exhibiting thus far, and he isn't often referenced in terms of "what could have been". At least not all that often.

Yeah, I get mad about that year and think, "man, if only we had ____"  Then, I remember that we got Ristol instead and think, "oh yeah, hmmm, he would be tough to give up."  I never look at him and think, "damn him, he should have been ____"

If we end up drafting #3, whoever we take is in the ultimate no win scenario, right? A significant portion of the fan base is going to be resentful, even if they don't mean to be, about what that player represents.

Maybe not so much with who we choose, but that we need to ship Zemgus, Zadorov and Fasching out to replace the talent we did not get with McEichel.  That will be an epic day for divisiveness on SS when that trade is announced.  The under discussed aspect of the current situation is the assumption that we will simply add to the pool and development cycle.  If we miss out on the opportunity to grab that high end offensive talent, we will have to get it from somewhere.  Currently, injuries notwithstanding we are outgunned.  So fan favorites who are valuable to us on the current roster, and those we are hopeful of in the pipeline will be moved.  With McEichel, it is more of addition versus, transition without them.  JMHO.

How significant a portion?  I'm not sure how many casual Sabres fans are watching the draft or hoping we finish dead last this year.  And out of everyone who is, how many will still be fired up about it 2-3 years after it happens?  

Or, from a practical standpoint, are fans going to cheer for them less or call in to WGR more to complain about them?  I just don't think the draft gives you that visceral player-to-player connection that you'd get if we swapped players in a trade and the guy we got was a disappointment.  

How significant a portion? I'm not sure how many casual Sabres fans are watching the draft or hoping we finish dead last this year. And out of everyone who is, how many will still be fired up about it 2-3 years after it happens?

Or, from a practical standpoint, are fans going to cheer for them less or call in to WGR more to complain about them? I just don't think the draft gives you that visceral player-to-player connection that you'd get if we swapped players in a trade and the guy we got was a disappointment.

You're on the right track, but I can assure you at least 50% of the fan base that even pays attention beyond game days wants this team to finish last. Even the ones that don't really understand the system have gotten on board or been convinced to do so.

How significant a portion?  I'm not sure how many casual Sabres fans are watching the draft or hoping we finish dead last this year.  And out of everyone who is, how many will still be fired up about it 2-3 years after it happens?  

Or, from a practical standpoint, are fans going to cheer for them less or call in to WGR more to complain about them?  I just don't think the draft gives you that visceral player-to-player connection that you'd get if we swapped players in a trade and the guy we got was a disappointment.  

I purposely didn't define it :lol:

Obviously the WGR echo chamber will be in full effect, but I think it's a non-trivial portion of the fanbase overall. I think there's some truth to the vocal minority, but in this case I don't think the minority is a 5% group of crazies. 

Don't say Bob M never did his homework.

Liger would this interest in Blackwood also have to do with the Sabres perceived orginizational need at goalie, or do you really just like this prospect better than the other goalie prospects in previous years (to make you break your own rule)?

It is a little of column and A and B.  I like Blackwood's game more than I did Demko's.  I wish I could say why, maybe it is just bias because I think we should draft a GT.  That being said as long as we don't waste 1st round picks on GT, I think I can be happy for awhile. 

Absolutely not. You can make a case maybe for Nolan being fired, but it won't be for that reason. 

It only would if GMTM told him to focus on player development and to make sure Hackett gets enough starts to keep his rights (even if they were really just ways to tank) and he refused to do so.  We wouldn't know that, of course, as the reasons would be given a nice big payment and a non-disclosure agreement.

Edit: and before anyone says that he was hired to win, so you can't fire him for that.  Bulls**t.  He was hired to execute the will of the franchise to the best of his ability with the roster given to him.  Usually, that will is to win, but certainly that can and does change once a team is eliminated from the playoffs.  Otherwise, it would be like saying that the GM is hired to put the best team on the ice now, which we know is not always true (see sellers at the trade deadline.)  At some point, they start to sacrifice current performance for future performance and it's not unreasonable to ask a coach to do the same.

Edited by carpandean