Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

if the sabres get Connor McDavid it was be amazing.

i still believe he will be property of Arizona.

NHL wants him anywhere but Buffalo.

just like 1999

Yeah, it does seem like that.  Going to overtime in Boston was ridiculous.  Fire Claude Julien today for that embarrassment.  

I see no reason that the NHL wouldn't want McDavid in Buffalo other than it validates tanking. Maybe the 29th team wins him for that reason alone, and with the Sabres recent CHL skid....

Custance on ESPN has an article up on the best place for McDavid to land that would result in the best/fastest turnaround. Anyone of an espn account and could tell me if Buffalo is #1 on that list? Thank you

No but I am now, thanks for the reminder.  :thumbsup:

Did he get points on either of those two goals?

I only saw the second goal, which he scored. He was going in close and the Dman tried to bump him off the puck, but he just glided through the hit, shuffled the puck between the defenders legs, regained control and then banked it 5 hole off the inside of the goaltender's leg (I think he was trying to pass across to his winger, but it was really the lead-up to the goal that was so impressive).

For sake of conversation, let's bank one of the two top picks. After that pick what is the Sabres next move? They still have a #1 and some 2nd rounders to play with. Do the Sabres have enough assets to move back into the top 10? top 5? #3? Or do they just draft according to Hoyle?

Thoughts or preferences?

I'd like to see them try and move backup into the top 10 if possible. I can see a team like Dallas or Colorado maybe moving out of the top 10 to pick up some additional picks.

For sake of conversation, let's bank one of the two top picks. After that pick what is the Sabres next move? They still have a #1 and some 2nd rounders to play with. Do the Sabres have enough assets to move back into the top 10? top 5? #3? Or do they just draft according to Hoyle?

Thoughts or preferences?

I'd like to see them try and move backup into the top 10 if possible. I can see a team like Dallas or Colorado maybe moving out of the top 10 to pick up some additional picks.

Trade them for NHL talent.  Lets play some fecking hockey in October.

Edited by weave

Plenty of great nuggets on twitter today as regular seasons are ending...

Marner started the year with one goal in his first 11 games, and ended with one in his last eight. He had 42 in 44 games in between

"@ErieOtters: .@stromer19 now owns the #Otters record for points with 129! Congrats, Dylan! What a game!" 4G and 6Pts today.

Bob also says that he pulled 10 scouts on Marner vs Strome. Five said Marner and five said Strome.

How good is hanifin? Seriously? For me it's always been about and still is all about mceichel? However, there's obviously a good chance we pick third. So we're looking at Hanifin, marner and strome. Marner had a great middle of the year but I don't know if I can trust an undersized winger scoring 2 goals over a 19 game span in junior hockey. Strome doesn't get a lot of love despite also putting up a bunch of points. Maybe because he's in mcdavids shadow? Brings me to hanifin. Other than a couple guys he seems to be the near consensus third ranked prospect. Obviously organizationally we would prefer a forward but if hanifin is the better prospect then I want him. Anyone been following him this year? What can he do that is worthy of third overall?

Sorry for any grammatical errors as I'm on my phone.

You have to think that since Murray has been to Erie many times this season, that he's taking a good look at Strome as well as McDavid. Of course, McDavid is no mystery.

I would not be surprised, at all, if the Sabres did not win the lottery, that the third or fourth, or second and third picks would be available to the teams with the fourth or fifth picks (obviously, I'm projecting and trying to cover as much potential ground as possible). I'm not sure Murray is in love with Eichel based on what I've heard/read him say. The evidence suggests he's been scouting Strome heavily.

So, say the Sabres wind up with the second pick, and say Toronto winds up with pick five. I think it's quite possible Murray goes after Kessel and the five pick for his second and maybe a prospect like Grigorenko. Or some such deal where Murray ends up with a solid top-tier player and able to take Strome in the draft.