Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

The interview was pretty bland; just a standard sports interview.

Only thing of note, when asked about his being a fan of Toronto and if it would be hard to switch allegiances it was a pretty resounding no. Not major, but still good to hear.

He will watch the draft lottery too, which has got to be a really weird event for him. 

I'd liken it to spinning a 'wheel of fortune' style wheel with 14 cities on it, whichever one it lands on that is where you live for the rest of your hockey career. The kid has no control over where he spends the next ten years of his life, its all luck/odds based.

(I realize the actual odds don't make the wheel slices the same, but it is still a wild thought)

I'd liken it to spinning a 'wheel of fortune' style wheel with 14 cities on it, whichever one it lands on that is where you live for the rest of your hockey career. The kid has no control over where he spends the next ten years of his life, its all luck/odds based.

(I realize the actual odds don't make the wheel slices the same, but it is still a wild thought)

I'd love to see that.  Have the slots based on the lottery odds.  It would have to be Wheel of Fortune style where the wheel has to go all the way around atleast once.  Christ, we could have him spin it ;)

If Sabres end up in 2nd last I know I won't sleep for the entire two days.

Sabres clinch last place - What is it comparable in sports terms? As happy as making the cup finals? winning the cup? Do you run out onto the street buck naked in joy?

How about they win the lottery?

For me just clinching that last overall record seals that we are probably getting Jack Eichel, which will make me ecstatic.

I don't even think about Connor McDavid, I truly believe Bettman will place him wherever he sees fit.

Buffalo goes on a bit of a run. Finishes 29th. Toronto wins the draft.

Toronto - McDavid

Edmonton - Eichel

Buffalo - Hanafin...because we could use another defensive prospect...

Yuck

We would have the best defense in the NHL in about 3 years.

Risto, Bogey, Hanafin, Gorges, Zadorov, Pysyk... that's pretty good.  

I will say I think Tim Murray drafts someone other than Hanafin @ #3

We would have the best defense in the NHL in about 3 years.

Risto, Bogey, Hanafin, Gorges, Zadorov, Pysyk... that's pretty good.

I will say I think Tim Murray drafts someone other than Hanafin @ #3

I would hope he could swing a trade with numbers 4,5 or six.

GMTM this morning on the top five (20:48):

Petey: Alright, this is my last question.  Tim, if you could do a quick rapid fire top five draft this year, how would the prospects go?  How would the draft go, top five?

Kevin: <snickers>

Tim: Today?

Petey: Today.

Tim: Well, you want me to give you names?

Petey:  Well, if I were to say McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Crouse, Strome.  Would I be close?

Tim: You would be close.

Petey: Who doesn't fit?

Kevin: <snickers>

Tim: No, they all fit.  They all fit.  There's just, eh, there's different opinions.  You know, in McEichel, you got a number one center.  In Hanifin, you have a number one defenseman.  In Crouse, you have a power forward.  In Strome, you have a very, very intelligent puck-distributing center iceman. So, I mean, the names fit. Could there be a couple other names in there?  Probably could be.  If that's the top five you're giving me right now, is there a chance they could go in that order?  I would say sure, there's a great chance they could.  You've done your homework.

Petey:  Well, no, I haven't.  Kris Baker's done that for me.  But I gotta say this: Jay McKee said, I think he used Jason Allison kind of to compare Strome.  I'm not trying to smear Jay's scouting, but would that be what you would see too?  And if so, how would you feel as a general manager if you were to draft Jason Allison in this year's draft?

Tim: Well, tell Jay to get out of the 80's and get up to at least the 90's or 2000's on his comparables.  But I think that's a comparison because of his feet.  I think his feet right now are better than that.  I think a big part of his skating, or lack of speed right now, is core strength and maturity.  In saying that, I don't think he's ever going to be the guy that's going 100mph.  But like I say, he's very intelligent, we know he's going to get stronger, he's going to work at it.  He comes from, obviously, a hockey family, so he's going to have an older brother there that's playing in the national league now that's going to push him, if he needs to be pushed- I don't think he does, I think he's gonna do the work, but he's got that.  He's six-two for sure.  He's got a great stick.  He's put up numbers without Connor there, when Connor was out.  There's no blip.  You can use WOWY, with or without him, the numbers are good.  He's just a very good prospect.

Edited by Я знаю физика

Here's a little PR film for Eichel for Hobey Baker - not too shabby.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25079461/watch-bus-clever-jack-eichel-for-hobey-baker-campaign-video

EDIT - wasn't sure where to put this comment, but heaven help some new poor schmuck who wanders into this forum over the last week or two. It's like some kinda Brighton Beach social club in here! (which is loads of fun!)

Edited by багбой

Here's a little PR film for Eichel for Hobey Baker - not too shabby.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25079461/watch-bus-clever-jack-eichel-for-hobey-baker-campaign-video

EDIT - wasn't sure where to put this comment, but heaven help some new poor schmuck who wanders into this forum over the last week or two. It's like some kinda Brighton Beach social club in here! (which is loads of fun!)

Great group of guys here, even with the tankmode going into year two, lots of good people keeping positive. :D

Thought i would prepare myself in case the Sabres win tonight and Oilers lose as I will need something to talk me down off the skyway bridge.

From Draftbuzz " since Knights horrible start, Mitch Marner has been on a 2.45ppg (42GP) scoring pace. McDavid is now at 2.56PPG"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ7nUCU3XZI

Sabres may be able to trade down a spot or 2 out of the 3 slot so someone can grab Hanifin. Also, If you believe Reinhart is a #1 centre then a future line of Kane, Reinhart and Marner will be scary good in a few years. 

just re-read an article from last summer.

Is Murray talking about Crouse if we fall into 3rd overall?

"In a perfect world, I want a giant who skates fast and has tremendous skill and kills people,” Murray said. “But that’s not going to happen, right? We know that. We’re going to take the best player available early in the draft and may lean a little toward need with all those seconds. But I would like nothing better than to move those seconds for a higher pick or move those seconds and another player to get a young player who may have fallen out of favor with another team. We’re ready for all the options.”

"In a perfect world, I want a giant who skates fast and has tremendous skill and kills people,” Murray said. “But that’s not going to happen, right? We know that. We’re going to take the best player available early in the draft and may lean a little toward need with all those seconds. But I would like nothing better than to move those seconds for a higher pick or move those seconds and another player to get a young player who may have fallen out of favor with another team. We’re ready for all the options.”

He was very much talking perfect world generalities, not Crouse with the giant comment. 

I suggest you listen to his interview on GR yesterday (I linked it in the Pysyk thread) and apply the bolded comment.

I heard it that he definitely prefers Hanifan to Crouse and Strome. Marner was not discussed.

Edited by Djuda Chekhov

I think Pysyk will be gone at the deadline or draft.   He's not physical enough for GMTM's liking on the back-end.    Sounded like he prefers McCabe, the more physical player.

If Buffalo lands in the #3 spot, look for a trade down to somewhere in the 5-6 range.  I would expect a 1st in 2016 to also come the Sabres way in that deal... the 2016 Auston Matthews draft where the top 3 picks are decided by lottery, will also be a very good draft at the top end.    Matthews is putting up the exact same numbers Eichel last season with the NTDP.... and he's identical in stature at 6'2 194lbs.    There's some talented wingers at the top of the 16' draft, Chychrun, Benson, and Jones, which is a position of need for Buffalo.     

I think Pysyk will be gone at the deadline or draft.   He's not physical enough for GMTM's liking on the back-end.    Sounded like he prefers McCabe, the more physical player.

If Buffalo lands in the #3 spot, look for a trade down to somewhere in the 5-6 range.  I would expect a 1st in 2016 to also come the Sabres way in that deal... the 2016 Auston Matthews draft where the top 3 picks are decided by lottery, will also be a very good draft at the top end.    Matthews is putting up the exact same numbers Eichel last season with the NTDP.... and he's identical in stature at 6'2 194lbs.    There's some talented wingers at the top of the 16' draft, Chychrun, Benson, and Jones, which is a position of need for Buffalo.     

I'm not sure I have the energy to cheer the Sabres to last place again next year but yes the top of the draft is thought of as being really strong.

I do think that even if the Sabres finish this off and get McDavid or Eichel that we are still a non playoff team next year and with the new structure of the lottery - maybe just maybe we get lucky.

The level of anger I will reach if we draft Lawson Crouse at #3 overall will not only register a disturbance in the force but it will cause mountains to crumble, seas to boil, and the sun to explode. 

I can't even think about the '16 draft.  I'll be spent after this season.