Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

I know it is far to early but come on we are already discussing this in multiple places. Eichel/McDavid are fascinating prospects with franchise changing potential. We now know we have at least 3 first round picks in the 2015 draft with a possibility of at least 2 lottery shots.

So this guy

And this guy

And that is just the top 2 guys. Here are some names to look up. http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2015/

O and paraphrasing "You ain't seen nothin yet."

How many pages do we hit before the 2015 draft? I think we have a shot at well over 100.

We have what, 70 pages in the 2014 thread? And that's without the actual draft day and another month of heightened speculation.

Over/under 100 anyone? I'll take over

I posted this on the other thread, but it better belongs here:

Our first and second, Islanders first and second, and the Blues first - it will be the draft that defines this franchise for the next decade.

This thread's gonna be so bonerific.

There's not much historical precedence for how bonerific this will be. The Blue Jackets just had three first round picks at 14th, 19th, and 27th overall, which netted them Alexander Wennberg ©, Kirby Reichel (LW), and Marko Dano (RW), respectively. That's a full line of first rounders, probably some mixture of their top line three years from now.

But we're talking about a set of three draft picks that in good probability will end up looking like #2-5, #3-9, and #15-22. And that will add to our #12 Grigorenko, #14 Girgensens, #8 Ritstolainen, #16 Zadorov, and our #2 ______ , not to mention our bounty of 2nd rounders.

For the record, if both the Sabres and Islanders finish bottom five, the probability of winning the lottery (presumably Connor McDavid) is a minimum of 18.8% (4-5 finish) and a maximum of 46.8% (1-2 finish). That;s nice and ######-y, but keep in mind that on top of McDavid, you obviously get to select the other pick as well.

If the Sabres and Islanders finish 1-2, that means there's almost a 50-50 chance of getting McDavid and a 100% chance of getting Eichel (if that's who we want as the 2nd overall pick). It's really a 50-50 chance of getting players whose potential matches that of Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. In one draft. Plus another first round pick.

McDavid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVejMHdbpbQ

Eichel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4UED9H-AwY

Ludicrous.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I guess the question is, do we have anyone left to sell off for more? Maybe package a 2nd and Stafford/Ennis/hoff for another first? Maybe not during the offseason, but maybe when teams start getting desperate at the deadline. We certainly can't settle for just 3. That's child's play.

Nice article about Eichel. Its probably has been posted already but it is drool worthy...

http://unitedstateso...-talking-about/

I posted this on the other thread, but it better belongs here:

Our first and second, Islanders first and second, and the Blues first - it will be the draft that defines this franchise for the next decade.

This is getting Sabres Fans through the next 13 months.

Edited by BRAWNDO

I guess the question is, do we have anyone left to sell off for more? Maybe package a 2nd and Stafford/Ennis/hoff for another first? Maybe not during the offseason, but maybe when teams start getting desperate at the deadline. We certainly can't settle for just 3. That's child's play.

It's possible that if Stafford plays how he has been playing, we could sell him for a 20-30th overall pick. Teams didn't seem as willing to pay high prices for rentals this year.

I'm still a fan of Ennis, and I'd like him to stick around a while. We'll extend him a qualifying offer.

Ehrhoff's story hasn't completely unfolded yet. He's a great value. He could be useful going forward or selling him off could help complete the tank. It depends on whether he wants to be here, which is a question that's been asked of him by the media. There's also possible cap penalty issues to be resolved.

Jamie McBain may interest some teams if we don't want him. I haven't been impressed with him. He won't return much of anything useful, maybe a 3rd rounder at best.

Chris Stewart is trade bait, although I wouldn't mind watching him play some games in Buffalo. And according to some, the trade sending him to Ottawa that never happened could still happen.

Tyler Myers will still attract attention, especially from teams like Edmonton and Florida. But it's been greatly debated whether we should let that happen and what kind of return would be reasonable to demand.

We're likely hanging onto Cody Hodgson, of course.

Looking at the roster, there's not much after that, especially anything that could launch even a 2nd round pick up into a top-20 pick. I actually feel a lot better about Tank Mark II after typing this out.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Everyone needs to keep calm.

The odds are still well against the Sabres getting McDavid. And by "well against," I mean less than a 25% likelihood -- so it's greater than 75% likely that we don't get him.

I have been steadily predicting that the Islanders are going to stink next year. I still don't think they'll make the playoffs, but as others have pointed out, it's likely that having Halak elevates them from a bottom-5 team to a bottom-12 team.

And while the Sabres are still probably the worst team in the NHL, there are going to be a number of teams that intentionally tank next year. I also think a full year of Nolan, plus not losing Miller and Ott at the deadline, is likely to result in a reasonable improvement in total points by the Sabres next year. So it's quite possible that the Sabres could finish 3rd-worse or 4th-worse next year.

In other words: don't be surprised if the Sabres are picking #4 and #11 next year. And if that happens, don't start carrying on about how unfair life is and how Buffalo always gets screwed.

Upton or McDavid?

Where do your true priorities lie?

If I had to pick between McDavid on the Sabres or a night of fun and frivolity with Kate Upton...no contest, Kate Upton all day and twice on Sunday. That's like asking if you'd rather have a million dollars or see the Bills win a Super bowl.

Always go with the one that entertains you more.

Edited by ubkev

If I had to pick between McDavid on the Sabres or a night of fun and frivolity with Kate Upton...no contest, Kate Upton all day and twice on Sunday. That's like asking if you'd rather have a million dollars or see the Bills win a Super bowl.

Always go with the one that entertains you more.

Get out.

:P

For the record...McDavid please. please please please. by the time the sabres are winning their fourth cup, I'd have forgotten almost every detail of that night anyway.

Edited by Arcsabresfan41

I'm okay with it being early, I've been waiting for this thread to start sense the season ended. I figured it would the day after the 2014 draft, but now works.

Yeah not like we got much else to look forward to for a year or so. 2015 summer will be our goal.

Everyone needs to keep calm.

The odds are still well against the Sabres getting McDavid. And by "well against," I mean less than a 25% likelihood -- so it's greater than 75% likely that we don't get him.

I have been steadily predicting that the Islanders are going to stink next year. I still don't think they'll make the playoffs, but as others have pointed out, it's likely that having Halak elevates them from a bottom-5 team to a bottom-12 team.

And while the Sabres are still probably the worst team in the NHL, there are going to be a number of teams that intentionally tank next year. I also think a full year of Nolan, plus not losing Miller and Ott at the deadline, is likely to result in a reasonable improvement in total points by the Sabres next year. So it's quite possible that the Sabres could finish 3rd-worse or 4th-worse next year.

In other words: don't be surprised if the Sabres are picking #4 and #11 next year. And if that happens, don't start carrying on about how unfair life is and how Buffalo always gets screwed.

I agree with this but I'm hoping we have another bottom 2 finish. This franchise and fan base need a guy like McDavid or Eichel in the worst possible way. I said it awhile back that the Islanders wouldn't give us that 2014 pick not being in the top 5 plus I'm thinking they will try to do something to get Sam Reinhart that way they have 2 of the 3 brothers on their team. I see the Islanders pick being 8-14 but more towards the teens. They have a lot of young talent and if Strome can be better which I'm sure he will this team could be in wildcard contention. It all depends how and when Tavares comes back and how good he will be plus the state of their defense and goaltending. I'm not that excited about the Islanders pick anymore as I think Garth Snow is going to do everything in his power to make sure we don't have a top 5 pick.

I hope I'm wrong but I think they will be better than most people expect.

Don't sweat it. Snow will trade Tavares and Okposo by November for 3/5th's of Chivas Regal and a 9th round pick in the 2017 draft(he hears that one is really deep).

Ink is right. There's just no way he doesn't f this up somehow in our favor.