Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

The draft is supposed to level the playing field. Anything that creates a situation where mediocre teams routinely have as good a chance of getting the top talent as the bad teams is counterproductive.

I like the system we have now.

The draft is supposed to level the playing field. Anything that creates a situation where mediocre teams routinely have as good a chance of getting the top talent as the bad teams is counterproductive.

I like the system we have now.

They're trying to de-incentivize tanking. But I'm mostly with you, if we're going to suck dick, I want assurances.

edit: haha

dick

Dick

######

dick's

I don't like the system we have now. You look at the most balanced league which is the NFL and the last place team picks first no lottery. Not many teams are in the business of tanking on purpose unless their GM guts the team. Too much pride in players to tank. Just like the Cavs shouldn't be picking first again. The league can manipulate where certain players could go.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

News on the draft lottery issue was all over the place last night. I saw tweeted reports that (i) there's not enough support to move forward with any change, (ii) there's a consensus to change, but not until 2016 at the earliest, and (iii) everything is up in the air, including in re 2015.

In fact, if you Google News search nhl draft lottery, you get a link to a TSN article entitled "NHL general managers agree to change draft lottery" , but the link to the article is dead.

I am going with LeBrun, who basically said all of the points above (i, ii, iii) are basically true at this point. Still, the fact that they're spinning their wheels makes me feel good about 2015.

Tanking has never been nor will it ever be about the players effort. It's management based decisions and philosophy.

QFT. The players who are rostered will give an honest and good faith effort. That said, the level of effort and commitment will inevitably wane for some of them when the results do not come. Those results will, more or less, be foreordained by what management does or does not do. There's a chance that a ragtag (I use that term advisedly - these guys are all pros) bunch of guys could over-achieve, but it's unlikely.

Edited by That Aud Smell

FC releases Preliminary Ranking for 2015

Over the past three years, Future Considerations has been watching the ’97 birth year class develop and mature en route to the 2015 NHL Draft and what looks like a stellar collection of future NHL talent.

The future looks good.

At this stage, the top of the 2015 NHL Draft crop is as exciting as it’s been in recent memory with Erie Otters standout Connor McDavid topping the class, chased furiously by Jack Eichel, who spent the 2013-14 season with the US National Team Development Program. Not far behind the pair of centers is defenseman Noah Hanifin, who served as Eichel’s teammate this year.

But the class doesn’t stop there.

Not only have names like McDavid, Eichel and Hanifin been making big impressions over that time, but strong, difference-making talent seems to be added to the count for this draft class on what seems like a weekly basis.

With the draft still a year away, there is even some hope that we will be seeing the best NHL Draft class ever and that the next wave of NHL superstars will soon be upon us. The North American crop, specifically, looks amazing and the Americans are surely the ones leading the charge. Early indications are that the depth south of the border could challenge the depth normally seen from the CHL.

With that in mind, here is Future Considerations’ preliminary ranking for the 2015 NHL Draft:

This thread's gonna be so bonerific.

There's not much historical precedence for how bonerific this will be. The Blue Jackets just had three first round picks at 14th, 19th, and 27th overall, which netted them Alexander Wennberg ©, Kirby Reichel (LW), and Marko Dano (RW), respectively. That's a full line of first rounders, probably some mixture of their top line three years from now.

But we're talking about a set of three draft picks that in good probability will end up looking like #2-5, #3-9, and #15-22. And that will add to our #12 Grigorenko, #14 Girgensens, #8 Ritstolainen, #16 Zadorov, and our #2 ______ , not to mention our bounty of 2nd rounders.

I'll take this a step further, because I want them to also be a part of the future...even the leaders of the "core," possibly.

But, we also have our #12 Myers, #26 Ennis, (#10 Hodgson), #23 Pysyk, #16 Armia...that could be 13 first round picks by the 2015 season.

Now THAT is a rebuild of epic proportions...how in the world can THAT fail? (That's why this is NOT Edmonton, not even mentioning 2nd/3rd round picks.)

anyone else notice that Noah Hanifin was not invited to the USA World Junior camp? Seems odd to leave the 3rd ranked prospect in the 2015 draft off the list.

Yet, Anthony Florentino (5th round, 2013) WAS invited? That's sounding really promising for the Sabres.

But, nothing is set in stone yet...

http://www.leagueittous.com/2014/06/19/usa-announces-42-player-world-junior-evaluation-camp-roster/

"One player not invited to camp that could very well make this team is Noah Hanifin of the US U-18 team. He is a 2015 draft eligible and is said to be in the same boat as Seth Jones and Jacob Trouba at their age. So keep an eye on him to potentially make this squad."

Edited by Bob Malooga

ESPN Insider: Draft Lottery Update

Draft lottery update

When NHL general managers met in New York during the Stanley Cup finals, there wasn't consensus from the group to go ahead with a plan to change the draft-lottery format.

Some were for it; others -- most notably Buffalo Sabres GM Tim Murray -- were against changing it for 2015 for obvious reasons. It's the draft involving highly touted prospects Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel.

Several GMs we spoke with left the meeting believing the matter was to be further debated, but that no changes were on the horizon for next year.

Deputy commissioner Bill Daly plans to table a draft-lottery proposal Thursday at the board of governors’ meeting in New York for owners to look at.

If owners give it the go-ahead, the plan could be implemented next year. Interesting, to say the least.

There are rumors that they'll go to a three-year lottery system (meaning the results from the last three seasons apply). If that's the case, as WGR pointed out, we'd start the year seven points ahead.

Seven points ahead of Edmonton? (I'd assume they're last or close to it)

If I had to guess id say maybe the changes won't go into effect until the 2016 draft. Especially considering trades have been made for the 2015 draft that this would greatly effect. I mean the islanders made the playoffs last season. That would hurt us since we have their pick

@DamoSpin

League proposals to change draft lottery rules have gone to PA for players input. Idea is to dissuade tanking. Unlikely for '15 draft.

Board of Governors OKs changes: http://espn.go.com/n...-lottery-system

The NHL's Board of Governors has approved changes for next year's draft lottery system, according to ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun.

Those changes, which must also be approved by the National Hockey League Players' Association, would go into effect for the 2015 NHL Entry Draft, a heavily-anticipated draft class that features the highly-touted prospect Connor McDavid.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

The lottery changes would spread out the odds. The 30th place team would have less odds while teams in the late lottery would be more likely to move up. Also will put more picks up for lottery so finishing last won't lock up a top two pick. My guess is they make it similar to the NBA which finishing last only guarantees a top four pick.

LEBRUN: BOARD OF GOVERNORS VOTES IN CHANGES TO DRAFT LOTTERY: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=455770

The league has proposed smoothing or compressing the odds among the 14 non-playoff teams for the 2015 draft and then increasing the number of selections determined by the lottery in 2016.

The Sabres would still be guaranteed to get Eichel in the '15 draft if they finish last.