2014 - 2015 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

Is a completely fine analyst of the draft and prospects.

I posted that before reading the list. To the list, it's actually not that bad.

To my point, I read Button's stuff regularly and he frequently has a lot of picks I am at odds with.

But it's less about his hockey knowledge and more about how I don't think his analysis has much integrity.

I sat within earshot of him during the draft in Vancouver and was disgusted by his smarmy brown-nosing.

If you watch his stuff for a while, you'll see how political he can be. He will rank players in order to score Brownie points with the power brokers.

The three Flyer d-men on this list is a prime example. The Domi pick is another. The kid played well at the WJC, but his selection here is more about the Domi name and how it is loved in Toronto — and a pander to the obvious TSN push to put the kid on a pedestal to drive ratings during the tourney.

I think he lacks credibility and has no spine. He's basically the anti-Tim Murray.

As to the lack of Sabres, remember a lot of other teams have 21-and-unders in the NHL too.

Edited by dudacek

I understand that they didn't have to sign him. However, there were serious questions whether they planned on signing him at all.

I previously stated a few posts ago that Zad and Risto along with Gus would be on the list if they weren't already with Buffalo

I'll go out on a limb and say that under normal conditions, Zemgus would have been in the NHL at this point anyway.

Compher has essentially eliminated all the excitement his freshman season at Michigan created. Was pointless and invisible in five WJC games this year. Well below the pace he set last season at Michigan.

Just put up zero points in a 10-6 game (his team put up the 10).

Met Brendan Lemieux last night at OHL game. Very pleasant demeanour and signed for my son and my Sabres hat. He chuckled at my wearing the hat, not many Buffalo fans in this part of the world. I told him to keep working and bring some grit and scoring to the team. He played OK but didn't score. Didn't bring his usual trash talking game either. I think he has the fire in the belly to get to the next level.

Not sure about his listing of 210 lbs, that's my weight class and I'd bet on my side. He does have the frame for a grinder though.

Waiting for Bailey and Baptiste to roll through soon. Cornel hasn't been stellar.

Compher has essentially eliminated all the excitement his freshman season at Michigan created. Was pointless and invisible in five WJC games this year. Well below the pace he set last season at Michigan.

He is a fourth line centre to me for the Sabres in a few years just like he was for team USA at the WJC

Met Brendan Lemieux last night at OHL game. Very pleasant demeanour and signed for my son and my Sabres hat. He chuckled at my wearing the hat, not many Buffalo fans in this part of the world. I told him to keep working and bring some grit and scoring to the team. He played OK but didn't score. Didn't bring his usual trash talking game either. I think he has the fire in the belly to get to the next level.

Not sure about his listing of 210 lbs, that's my weight class and I'd bet on my side. He does have the frame for a grinder though.

Waiting for Bailey and Baptiste to roll through soon. Cornel hasn't been stellar.

Thanks.. Great update!

Maybe we'll sign Sekera in UFA to make me feel better. That's all I've got.

looks like Baptiste got very lucky last night. He caught a stick in the face and was forced to leave the game. His coach said that he was about 3mm away from losing one of his eyes. f

"Erie Otters winger Nick Baptiste left Saturday night's win against North Bay in the second period after being struck close to his eye by a high stick.

He didn't return to the game.

Head coach Kris Knoblauch said Baptiste was fortunate to escape serious injury.

"Apparently, another 3 millimeters, he probably would have lost sight in his eye," Knoblauch said. "But they think he's going to be OK."

Knoblauch didn't have an update on Baptiste's status moving forward."

Victor Fernandes@GoErieHockey 12h

12 hours ago

. @NickBaptiste wrapped up the autograph session by telling me "I'm good." #erie

I am not sure where Grigorenko projects to anymore. He can clearly play a 3rd line role IMPO. I think his defensive game has greatly improved. I am not sure how much offense he brings at the NHL level but I do know he has a laser of a shot and a quick release. It is one of those things where it is really hard to judge. I do hold out hope for the kid and I think he could come up next year and be a solid LW2 next to Reinhart with Armia on the other side. My concern would be that Grigorenko never fully adjusts to NHL speed.

Grigorenko is not much different in style or pedigree to Ryan Strome, who is a year older.

His numbers as an AHL rookie this year are not as good as Strome's last year, but not far off.

He's got more skill than most of the Sabres current lineup, but certainly lacks burst.

Considering how badly he was mishandled his first two years in the organization, I still have hope.

I am not sure where Grigorenko projects to anymore. He can clearly play a 3rd line role IMPO. I think his defensive game has greatly improved. I am not sure how much offense he brings at the NHL level but I do know he has a laser of a shot and a quick release. It is one of those things where it is really hard to judge. I do hold out hope for the kid and I think he could come up next year and be a solid LW2 next to Reinhart with Armia on the other side. My concern would be that Grigorenko never fully adjusts to NHL speed.

Grigs will look faster if he skated more. He is more of a drifter style skater. Kind of sits back and waits for the play to come to him. Hopefully that is something that he can improve on as well.

Grigs will look faster if he skated more. He is more of a drifter style skater. Kind of sits back and waits for the play to come to him. Hopefully that is something that he can improve on as well.

Grigorenko skates like Gretzky but without the power that Wayne was able to pack into one push. If Grigorekno can get that push to be stronger then his playing style will work. Without it he isn't going to make guys miss like he was in juniors. I don't think he'll ever be a high motor leg churner.

Grigorenko skates like Gretzky but without the power that Wayne was able to pack into one push. If Grigorekno can get that push to be stronger then his playing style will work. Without it he isn't going to make guys miss like he was in juniors. I don't think he'll ever be a high motor leg churner.

Were this Grigorenko's 1st pro year, like it should've been; we'd collectively be a lot higher on him than we are. Would not be at all surprised to see him as a #2 C with a little seasoning under his belt.

Were this Grigorenko's 1st pro year, like it should've been; we'd collectively be a lot higher on him than we are. Would not be at all surprised to see him as a #2 C with a little seasoning under his belt.

I agree. Let's pretend he spent the last 2 seasons in junior. We would then be looking at a 20yr old rookie AHL player with the following stats... 10g, 19a, 34games, -2. Those are very solid stats for a Rookie in the AHL.

The kid has talent. He can definitely improve his skating but I hope the organization doesn't give up on him until they see what he can do with wingers that can complement his game.

It is hard enough for a young kid to come in and be affective. It is even harder when your wingers couldn't score even with Crosby as their center.

I like this rationale.

I agree. Let's pretend he spent the last 2 seasons in junior. We would then be looking at a 20yr old rookie AHL player with the following stats... 10g, 19a, 34games, -2. Those are very solid stats for a Rookie in the AHL.

Good follow up as well.

Speaking of Mikhail Grigorenko back from the brink

Somehow, Mikhail Grigorenko already feels like a restoration story.

It’s easy to forget that he’s just 20-years-old, his entire future still shining very brightly ahead of him. But before this year, it seemed like that future had abruptly come to a screeching halt.

Coming out of the 2012 NHL Draft, the Sabres were thrilled to have landed the big, talented Russian pivot with the 12th pick in the draft. After all, Grigorenko had the talent to be a top five pick if it weren’t for those nagging questions about his desire and work ethic.

It appears he has the ability to be Jody Gage or Mal Davis.

Question is can he at least rise to Adam Creighton status and become a useful NHL center?

I know you are still hoping for more and he is still young but I still can't envision it.

When I was a kid I really wanted Mal Davis to make it. He had a Mike Bossy wrister and it seemed like he could score anytime he got a clean shot off. But Scotty (I think it was Scotty) didn't trust him and he never got more than a coupl of games at a time in the show.

When I was a kid I really wanted Mal Davis to make it. He had a Mike Bossy wrister and it seemed like he could score anytime he got a clean shot off. But Scotty (I think it was Scotty) didn't trust him and he never got more than a coupl of games at a time in the show.

When I was a kid, I wanted Scotty to trade Mal Davis, Gates Orlando, and Jody Gage to Detroit, TO, or Washington for an NHL regular. Would've benefitted both teams.

Baptiste finishes with 1+2 as Erie downs Owen Sound 7-3. Baptiste up to 16-18-34 on the year, including 10+13 in 20 games with the Otters.

That's 34 points in 32 games. 0.5 GPG. That's pretty far below last year's scoring pace (his current pace would give him 33-37-70 in 65 games... 12-7-19 below last year's pace).

Still a good year, though. Hopefully he proves to be a consistent performer when he joins Rochester next season.

Meanwhile this year's star surprise Justin Bailey is at 29-25-54 in 42 games. He has 7-6-13 in 7 games since being trades to the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.

That's 37-32-69 in 54 games which is 13-13-26 above last year's pace. He already has his new career high in goals by 5 and assists by 6.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.