2014 - 2015 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

Not ahl eligible until 2016 i believe

Sam Reinhart snaps one low stick side for his 11th goal of the year as KTN leads LET 2-1 end 1st. Reinhart with points in nine straight.

Unfortunately he'll have to stick with Barrie in the O.

So back to juniors then? Damn that sucks, he's one of the prospects I'm really looking forward to watching with the big club; thought he was a little closer than that.

Do Grigs and Armia get a solid shot next season? I'd have to believe so

Edited by WildCard

So back to juniors then? Damn that sucks, he's one of the prospects I'm really looking forward to watching with the big club; thought he was a little closer than that.

Do Grigs and Armia get a solid shot next season? I'd have to believe so

I would think Armia, Grigorenko, Reinhart, Pysyk and McCabe all get long looks in Buffalo if they're not traded. McCabe has looked like he'll need a little more time in the AHL. Pysyk has to be nearing or never once next season rolls around.

Larsson will get a shot but he doesn't appear to have an NHL future with us other than an up-and-down guy.

Guys with outside shots for consideration next year based on what we know now: Baptiste, Bailey, Fasching, Compher. I think all those players need time in the AHL. I could see Fasching and/or Compher doing a McCabe and taking a short stint in Buffalo once their college seasons are over and then spending next season in Rochester.

Guys like Carrier, Makarov, Schaller could have really strong camps and sneak in I guess. Somebody like Carrier might end up being a better NHL player than an AHL player. It's happened before which is why it's only discouraging but not absolute when a guy struggles there.

Disagree with the Compher and Fasching comments.  I am not even sure they have signed deals with Buffalo yet and considering both are Sophmores there isn't a reason for them to currently leave college to play some worthless games at the end of the season. If they leave early, it will be next year.

Murray mentioned earlier today that they feel they have determined which prospects have NHL futures and which ones don't. I would love to see that list. My guess is we would be very surprised with some of the players that they feel don't.

Compher? He hit a wall this year.

Disagree with the Compher and Fasching comments. I am not even sure they have signed deals with Buffalo yet and considering both are Sophmores there isn't a reason for them to currently leave college to play some worthless games at the end of the season. If they leave early, it will be next year.

They can't sign deals while still in college. That's why they haven't signed yet. Most college hockey players that turn pro do so after their junior years. I think that there's a decent chance Fasching does so this year, though. Small chance Compher does. Both are believed to have NHL bodies and pro games a year earlier than most others do.

Not sure how you can disagree with me saying "outside shots" unless you're saying there is absolutely unequivocally zero chance it happens which would be, most likely, wrong.

Compher? He hit a wall this year.

He has. Still think he has a shot to be a good NHL player, though.

I'm assuming Murray's comment was more about guys that have been in the system for a while... He wouldn't be stupid enough to write off a guy like Compher. The comment also could've been a subtle challenge to some.

Edited by Tank

They can't sign deals while still in college. That's why they haven't signed yet. Most college hockey players that turn pro do so after their junior years. I think that there's a decent chance Fasching does so this year, though. Small chance Compher does. Both are believed to have NHL bodies and pro games a year earlier than most others do.

Not sure how you can disagree with me saying "outside shots" unless you're saying there is absolutely unequivocally zero chance it happens which would be, most likely, wrong.

He has. Still think he has a shot to be a good NHL player, though.

I'm assuming Murray's comment was more about guys that have been in the system for a while... He wouldn't be stupid enough to write off a guy like Compher. The comment also could've been a subtle challenge to some.

Carrier, Fasching, and the '14 draft are all his. They are safe for awhile. DR picks are the ones he is scrutinizing. I also think his comments were directed more towards guys who have been in the system for awile - like Armia, Grigs, Pysyk, McCabe, Larsson, etc. Not guys who are still in juniors as much. Edited by sicknfla

I disagree because there isn't any reason for Murray to sign them or to stuff them in the AHL.  Next year sure. This year when we have 48 contracts already and will have to sign some people over the summer, why not let them Mature another year without eating 2 contracts.  It just doesn't make a ton of sense.

I disagree because there isn't any reason for Murray to sign them or to stuff them in the AHL.  Next year sure. This year when we have 48 contracts already and will have to sign some people over the summer, why not let them Mature another year without eating 2 contracts.  It just doesn't make a ton of sense.

Or maybe signing one or two of these guys is just what GMTM was alluding to when he mentioned needing contract number flexibility yesterday.

Murray mentioned earlier today that they feel they have determined which prospects have NHL futures and which ones don't. I would love to see that list. My guess is we would be very surprised with some of the players that they feel don't.

I wonder if Murray has an NHL future.

Both of the college guys will stick around for the standard 3 years.  They haven't taken the step forward this year that you would like to see from a prospect.  At the same time though, they're one bounce back season away from picking up a max entry level deal.  The time isn't right for them and I'd have to think that any family adviser (ie. agent) would tell them as much.

I found this but not sure its 100% official

There is a private agreement in place between the NHL and the CHL that governs when a player coming from the CHL can play in the AHL. A player from the CHL has to either turn 20 by December 31st of the season (ie a player born in 1987 can start playing in the 2007-08 season, a player born in 1988 can start playing in the 2008-09 season etc.) OR have completed 4 seasons of junior eligibility. This agreement also covers European players if they are drafted out of the CHL (Examples would be players like Petr Vrana and Ivan Vishnevskiy). Also - CHL players are eligible to play in the AHL once their junior season is over (either by virtue of their junior team not making the playoffs or being eliminated from the playoffs) even if they don't yet meet the age or eligibility criteria listed above.

I found this but not sure its 100% official

There is a private agreement in place between the NHL and the CHL that governs when a player coming from the CHL can play in the AHL. A player from the CHL has to either turn 20 by December 31st of the season (ie a player born in 1987 can start playing in the 2007-08 season, a player born in 1988 can start playing in the 2008-09 season etc.) OR have completed 4 seasons of junior eligibility. This agreement also covers European players if they are drafted out of the CHL (Examples would be players like Petr Vrana and Ivan Vishnevskiy). Also - CHL players are eligible to play in the AHL once their junior season is over (either by virtue of their junior team not making the playoffs or being eliminated from the playoffs) even if they don't yet meet the age or eligibility criteria listed above.

This is all correct, and the Euro example that we'd be most familiar with is Grigorenko.

I would think Armia, Grigorenko, Reinhart, Pysyk and McCabe all get long looks in Buffalo if they're not traded. McCabe has looked like he'll need a little more time in the AHL. Pysyk has to be nearing or never once next season rolls around.

Larsson will get a shot but he doesn't appear to have an NHL future with us other than an up-and-down guy.

Guys with outside shots for consideration next year based on what we know now: Baptiste, Bailey, Fasching, Compher. I think all those players need time in the AHL. I could see Fasching and/or Compher doing a McCabe and taking a short stint in Buffalo once their college seasons are over and then spending next season in Rochester.

Guys like Carrier, Makarov, Schaller could have really strong camps and sneak in I guess. Somebody like Carrier might end up being a better NHL player than an AHL player. It's happened before which is why it's only discouraging but not absolute when a guy struggles there.

I think Griggy, Pysyk and Larsson all have to clear waivers to be sent down to the AHL next year. 

Prediction:  one of those 3 is with the Sabres next year, one gets traded before next season starts and one gets waived.

Can college players go become re-entry draft players?

I know in Juniors it's two years after being drafted and still below 20 or something like that.  Not sure about college.  Would that give pause to not signing a college player sooner?

I know in Juniors it's two years after being drafted and still below 20 or something like that.  Not sure about college.  Would that give pause to not signing a college player sooner?

The drafting team retains the rights of a college player for at least 4 years.  That would make them too old to be eligible for the draft at that point.  It looks like it might be possible in the crazy case where a kid entered college at like 15 years old, but that's not happening.

I know in Juniors it's two years after being drafted and still below 20 or something like that. Not sure about college. Would that give pause to not signing a college player sooner?

Team that drafts them owns their rights until 30 days after they leave college. After that they can force their way to unrestricted free agency. That's why Justin Schultz is with the Oilers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.