Semifinals Thread

Eleven

I don't agree at all. This was a dirty, unnecessary head shot delivered well after Stepan got rid of the puck -- much like Chris Neil's hit on Chris Drury way back when.

I'd like to see these hits punished out of existence.

Edit: just saw 26CB's post. I'd suspend Prust for 10 games.

I agree. My suspension would be more towards 5 games, but still.

The Prust situation is a result of the league not punishing Kreider for reckless play. I still believe that he was reckless and not intentional (as Therrien stated before he found out Price was hurt). Do we think there should be supplemental discipline for a reckless play that injures? I don't have an opinion either way as of the moment; I can see arguments on both sides.

Here's a thought.....given the litigious slant in the current NHL, do you think Clint Malarchuk would have a case against Uwe Krupp for performing a penalized act against the St. Louis forward which then caused the player's skate to slash Malarchuk's throat? Are there waivers in NHL contracts? Wasn't there a civil case in one of the McSorley/Brasheer/Cooke incidents?

I'm just saying.....everyone is out for "justice"....what would stop a teammate from suing a teammate if his "reckless" act led to a serious and life-threatening injury?

Here's a thought.....given the litigious slant in the current NHL, do you think Clint Malarchuk would have a case against Uwe Krupp for performing a penalized act against the St. Louis forward which then caused the player's skate to slash Malarchuk's throat? Are there waivers in NHL contracts? Wasn't there a civil case in one of the McSorley/Brasheer/Cooke incidents?

I'm just saying.....everyone is out for "justice"....what would stop a teammate from suing a teammate if his "reckless" act led to a serious and life-threatening injury?

The civil case was/is in the Bertuzzi incident. Not sure how that ended, or even if it ended.

I see the causal link as well, but punishing bad outcomes from that sort of borderline-reckless play is a very, very tricky proposition.

Yep. Another thought: They could go back to the strict rule about staying out of the crease, and at least there would be no grey area. I don't know if Montreal would feel sufficiently avenged by just a minor penalty on the play, though.

The Prust situation is a result of the league not punishing Kreider for reckless play. I still believe that he was reckless and not intentional (as Therrien stated before he found out Price was hurt). Do we think there should be supplemental discipline for a reckless play that injures? I don't have an opinion either way as of the moment; I can see arguments on both sides.

I'm generally a proponent of punishing the act, not the result. It does get dicey trying to define "reckless" though.

The civil case was/is in the Bertuzzi incident. Not sure how that ended, or even if it ended.

Yep. Another thought: They could go back to the strict rule about staying out of the crease, and at least there would be no grey area. I don't know if Montreal would feel sufficiently avenged by just a minor penalty on the play, though.

I have no idea why the crease violation rule was ever eliminated. No one but the goalie should be in that space.

So rags injure price, and it seems gloomy..... Then the rags lose game 3 and a pretty great center due to a borderline hit...... If there was any revenge motive then Montreal came out on top.

Losing Stepan hurts the rags more than price for the habs.... As long as the rookie keeps up his performance, average /above average can win games at that position.

Vanek might be the best forward they have yet they're too stubborn to let him play.

No way. He does a few things really well...at times. But his negatives are pretty high, lazy at times, not a leader, not good along the boards and defensive liability. He isn't the type of player that makes other players around him better. I'd take Pacoretti or even Eller over him on this team. He was the heart and soul of a soul-less Sabres team for years.

So rags injure price, and it seems gloomy..... Then the rags lose game 3 and a pretty great center due to a borderline hit...... If there was any revenge motive then Montreal came out on top.

Losing Stepan hurts the rags more than price for the habs.... As long as the rookie keeps up his performance, average /above average can win games at that position.

Well, the "as long as" part of your post is an enormous contingency. Still, it's an interesting question. Certainly a huge loss for each team.

No way. He does a few things really well...at times. But his negatives are pretty high, lazy at times, not a leader, not good along the boards and defensive liability. He isn't the type of player that makes other players around him better. I'd take Pacoretti or even Eller over him on this team. He was the heart and soul of a soul-less Sabres team for years.

This might be a bit unfair to Vanek but even so in a sense is perfect in a tragic-poetic kinda way.

the exclusive remedy structure of workers comp laws would be the principal obstacle to such a suit.

i think that was a work-around that moore had -- there are exemptions to that doctrine for intentional/criminal acts. plus, he may've been suing under a canadian system of laws (i think he was) -- their system may permit more employment-based personal injury actions against employers/co-employees.

No way.

Prust, Carcillo and Stepan. The Rangers are falling apart.

Prust plays for Montreal now.

Well, the "as long as" part of your post is an enormous contingency. Still, it's an interesting question. Certainly a huge loss for each team.

This might be a bit unfair to Vanek but even so in a sense is perfect in a tragic-poetic kinda way.

Maybe I put much blame on him for that era but what will we remember of the years 2008-2012 or here a bouts? Roy, Vanek, Stafford and a few other faceless players...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.