Semifinals Thread

Eleven

I don't agree at all. This was a dirty, unnecessary head shot delivered well after Stepan got rid of the puck -- much like Chris Neil's hit on Chris Drury way back when.

I'd like to see these hits punished out of existence.

Edit: just saw 26CB's post. I'd suspend Prust for 10 games.

I'd wasn't a head hit. Shoulder to chest. But it was very late

There were hits that were way "later" happening all game long.

Shoulder to upper chest, then the top of shoulder pad connects with Stepan's jaw

Just because the initial point of contact is the chest doesn't mean it's not a headshot as well.

I realize that goes against the NHL's bullpucky definition that they use to allow headshots. But I don't care.

I don't agree. I think Prust caught chin and chest together. (And I'd say the broken jaw supports that view.)

No way not to hit the jaw when he is leaning forward like that (I agree he could have minimized contact - got lower and exploded up; but i think there have been worse head shots that have gone unpunished

post-3731-0-38288100-1400864491_thumb.png

Edited by ThirtyEight

Peters is on the radio right now spinning it the exact opposite way: The linesman had no business tying up Carcillo, who might have needed to assist a teammate.

Sorry, but I think I've seen linesmen tie up players before. And given that it's Carcillo, I'm siding with the linesman on this one.

Peters has probably never been in that situation much. He was always IN the fight.

His jaw hits the top of the shoulder pad

i disagree, but even accepting that: depending on the directional force of the shoulder, that could well make it a principal point of contact.

the hit is garbage, prust should be done for the balance of the playoffs, and, even if that were the punishment, the canadiens win that bargain by giving up their version of cody mccormick in exchange for elimination of the rangers' top centerman.

Edited by That Aud Smell

i disagree, but even accepting that: depending on the directional force of the shoulder, that could well make it a principal point of contact.

the hit is garbage, prust should be done for the balance of the playoffs, and, even if that were the punishment, the canadiens win that bargain by giving up their version of cody mccormick in exchange for elimination of the rangers' top centerman.

I agree completely.

I agree completely.

I don't. The only thing wrong with that hit is he made contact with the head. That's it. It was not late.

And I'm sure I am going to come across as some Old-time Hockey neanderthal, but whyTF isn't Stepan ready to be hit there and every time he gets rid of the puck. He knows that was a playoff game, doesn't he?

I don't. The only thing wrong with that hit is he made contact with the head. That's it. It was not late.

And I'm sure I am going to come across as some Old-time Hockey neanderthal, but whyTF isn't Stepan ready to be hit there and every time he gets rid of the puck. He knows that was a playoff game, doesn't he?

He dumps the puck off and changes direction and then gets hit... why the ###### should he expect that? He is actually angling away from the puck when he gets hit. I am sorry but its late and uncalled for and I love a good hit but this wasn't one. I say rest of playoffs for Prust.

He dumps the puck off and changes direction and then gets hit... why the ###### should he expect that? He is actually angling away from the puck when he gets hit. I am sorry but its late and uncalled for and I love a good hit but this wasn't one. I say rest of playoffs for Prust.

He changes direction to avoid another Hab. He was still in the play and just released the pass. It's the playoffs. Always expect to get hit. Watch the rest of the game and watch how often players get hit well later than that play.

No way not to hit the jaw when he is leaning forward like that (I agree he could have minimized contact - got lower and exploded up; but i think there have been worse head shots that have gone unpunished

I agree with the bolded part, but that doesn't excuse this hit.

As for Stepan leaning forward -- he was indeed leaning, but that also doesn't excuse the hit. A player simply cannot (or, I suppose, should not be permitted to) blast another player in the head from the blind side well after the victim unloads the puck). The onus is on Prust not to make the hit.

If the NHL wants to be a real organization, it has to be unacceptable for a semifinalist to lose one of its top 2 centers in game 3 of the semis on a dirty hit by a 4th-liner. This should be a Raffi Torres-level punishment.

It was not late.

i think you will find yourself in a decided minority in that view. my guess is that an overwhelming majority of people who follow the game would say that hit was late.

This should be a Raffi Torres-level punishment.

maybe not quite, but getting there.

in terms of being a successful source of sport entertainment, the NFL sets the standard. (and, yes, there are 'purists' who love that sport who say the NFL's gone way too far.) the NFL's rules have evolved in order to protect and safeguard its more marketable players from undue risks and unnecessary injuries. i fail to see why the NHL can't follow suit.

He changes direction to avoid another Hab. He was still in the play and just released the pass. It's the playoffs. Always expect to get hit. Watch the rest of the game and watch how often players get hit well later than that play.

I don't see how he can expect/protect himself from that hit.

I see it very different.

I just don't think Stepan can be ready to get hit there. It is like someone overtaking you on the highway and then they spike their brakes.

If Prust has him lined up North South that is another matter...but Prust comes in East West and lunges back on him. If that was common, careers would end everyday.

i think you will find yourself in a decided minority in that view. my guess is that an overwhelming majority of people who follow the game would say that hit was late.

Probably true. I don't watch past 5 seconds into that video to make my decision, though. Real time. It's funny, the more they slow down the replay, the later that hit looks. :D

The Prust situation is a result of the league not punishing Kreider for reckless play. I still believe that he was reckless and not intentional (as Therrien stated before he found out Price was hurt). Do we think there should be supplemental discipline for a reckless play that injures? I don't have an opinion either way as of the moment; I can see arguments on both sides.

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.