Off Topic - What Lucic Told Weise

LGR4GM

Well that and another 10-12 actual NHL players with skill.

Exactly. You build a team piece by piece. Even with the Sabres drafting in the top five this year and next they are still going to need another 10-12 NHL players with skill. The only difference under by scenario is that they would have a 6'3 235 lb monster that can score 25-30 goals on the roster. Reinhart/Bennett and McDavid may have a ton of skills, non of them bring the complete package that Lucic brings.

Exactly. You build a team piece by piece. Even with the Sabres drafting in the top five this year and next they are still going to need another 10-12 NHL players with skill. The only difference under by scenario is that they would have a 6'3 235 lb monster that can score 25-30 goals on the roster. Reinhart/Bennett and McDavid may have a ton of skills, non of them bring the complete package that Lucic brings.

Hmmmmm? How to argue the nuance. Lucic is valuable. But not nearly this valuable. Not a complete package at all. Its probably a mute point anyway. He's not for sale.

If Sam Bennet is the next Doug Gilmore......you take the next Gilmore.

If McDavid is the next Sydney Crosby ...........you take the next Crosby.

If Sam Reinhart is the next Tavaras.....you take the next Tavaras.

I really don't think Lucic is part of the discussion. But that's just me.

Hmmmmm? How to argue the nuance. Lucic is valuable. But not nearly this valuable. Not a complete package at all. Its probably a mute point anyway. He's not for sale.

He's not. Unless you walk around ass first with your head on backwards.

That's a lot of "IFs." I'd prefer the sure thing that is NHL proven and only 25. We all have our preferences. IMO, my scenario is a step towards building a Cup contender.

Edited by deluca67

That's a lot of "IFs." I'd prefer the sure thing that is NHL proven and only 25. We all have our preferences. IMO, my scenario is a step towards building a Cup contender.

Not without a couple centers it isn't, and IMO that is the biggest flaw in your argument. Lose those two picks and we are back to post- Drury/Briere center depth long term and no assets significant enough to change it.

Not without a couple centers it isn't, and IMO that is the biggest flaw in your argument. Lose those two picks and we are back to post- Drury/Briere center depth long term and no assets significant enough to change it.

I'm in Weave's camp on this one.

Sabres aren't going anywhere unless they can form lines through center ice.

I'm fine adding a Lucic type player once you can make lines. But I would much rather have Bergeron than Lucic.

Sabres have a chance to add a first line center for the next 12 years.

Sabres aren't losing right now because they are weak on the boards or in a scrum as much as they can't move, distribute, or pass the puck with any consistency.

I'd be okay moving a top pick if it brings a center that can do that. But minus that....I wouldn't move the #2 pick.

How about we get everything else in place first, then sign, trade for or draft our own Lucic. Having him on a team of this suckitude will accomplish nothing. Putting him on a team full of high draft picks all reaching their prime sounds better.

How about we get everything else in place first, then sign, trade for or draft our own Lucic. Having him on a team of this suckitude will accomplish nothing. Putting him on a team full of high draft picks all reaching their prime sounds better.

That's where I am now. Lucic is a holy grail for a contending team. If you flipped him for a Sedin a few years ago, Vancouver probably wins the Cup.

Look at the '07 Sabres....if they have Roberts and Guerin on that team, they probably win.

It's rock, paper, scissors in the NHL. Paper is goalie, scissors is skill, rock is grit. Almost every team has scissors. Not as many rock. That's why rock becomes more valuable, and why Deluca makes a valid point as to Lucic's worth.

That's where I am now. Lucic is a holy grail for a contending team. If you flipped him for a Sedin a few years ago, Vancouver probably wins the Cup.

Look at the '07 Sabres....if they have Roberts and Guerin on that team, they probably win.

It's rock, paper, scissors in the NHL. Paper is goalie, scissors is skill, rock is grit. Almost every team has scissors. Not as many rock. That's why rock becomes more valuable, and why Deluca makes a valid point as to Lucic's worth.

Grit is important, nobody denies it. But Deluca is blowing Luchick's value way out of proportion. I'm more of a Dustin Brown guy myself, almost as dirty, even more ugly.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Grit is important, nobody denies it. But Deluca is blowing Luchick's value way out of proportion. I'm more of a Dustin Brown guy myself, almost as dirty, even more ugly.

I like Dustin Brown, problem is that he is 4 years older than Lucic and over his last 33 playoff games has only 5 goals and 5 assists. Lucic, who some say was a no-show this playoffs has 11 goals and 15 assists over his last 34 playoff games including 7 points in 12 games this year.

Is the older, less productive and less intimidating player really the better option?

I like Dustin Brown, problem is that he is 4 years older than Lucic and over his last 33 playoff games has only 5 goals and 5 assists. Lucic, who some say was a no-show this playoffs has 11 goals and 15 assists over his last 34 playoff games including 7 points in 12 games this year.

Is the older, less productive and less intimidating player really the better option?

I'd rather have Lucic than Brown, by a lot. You'll have to forgive me, though, I'm just finding it incredibly ironic that you expect us to wish nothing but good things and sportsmanship upon other teams and fan bases, yet the player you covet so much doesn't even do that.

but the 1 guy on the team that many have said is an untouchable, just went full Lucic...has pretty much the same body and skillset.....and wears female prostitute clothing on multiple occasions......

huh? that was a short chop to the crotch after the other fella came down hard on his wrists (not normal face-off behavior, IMO). undisciplined, but hardly the stuff of goonery.

Yea that was pretty dirty on Girgs' end. But it's still less egregious than Lucic's. His was calculated and not in the "heat of the moment" whatsoever. Same with the handshake ######.

I'm disappointed that Girgs would go there, but it's still a notch below Lucic.

why be disappointed? i love it.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Not saying it was clean, but it wasn't premeditated. He just got it over the hands on the same draw.

Very different from chopping hacking the vas deferense from behind the play on a different shift.

Disagree?

(remember, I'm not the one saying Lucic isn't valuable. I just don't think he's the second coming.)

that's what i saw. what the opponent did is a very chippy maneuver. the same nonsense may have been happening all game long. girgensons looked to have been sending a message, trying to create some space and peace for himself.

Looks like he got him right underneath his front pads in the belly... I don't think he was TRYING to severely hurt him... he went right back to the bench, if it was THAT bad he would've ended up in the locker room

i think that guy sold that injury a bit. he looked like he'd been shot with a handgun until it was clear girgensons was getting a major.

I would love to see Girgensons pull a few more stunts like that. It's a great example of the John Scott argument. I have no problem with any Sabre potential top 6 forward showing a dark side. I wish Marcus Foligno would show it and the two monster blueliners the Sabres just drafted as well.

hear, hear.

On the dot, the Russian gave a cross-check downward chuck over the back of Zemgus's wrists. At least that's what I saw.

FWIW - Briere was much dirtier with his stick in Sabres uniform.

speaking of spearing russians in response to cheap shots.

briere-spears-ovechkin-o.gif

The idea that it was also partially due to his country's problems may not be all that farfetched but its likely the fact Burmistrov kept slashing at him ad going after his hands throughout the game.

I don't think he meant to "hurt" him but rather tell him to F off.

Remember the reason many like Bennett is due to the fact he's willing to do the same, we want a few physical borderline dirty players. Not the cheapshot kind but the self-controlled kind who can play a clean game still.

I'm sorry what? Really you are going to compare these 3 players and then claim Lucic has a more complete "package" which I assume means more than just his size. Bennett is one of the best 2 way forwards in the OHL currently. Reinhart is repeatedly described as having a strong 2 way game. Both are physical, Bennett a little more so. What does Lucic bring? Explain it and don't use things like "monster" blah blah, actual skills.

No it isn't. The Bruins aren't even built from the wing in. You want to give up 2 not 1 but 2 top picks for Milan Lucic. Your step is insane. Lets go get a 25yr old 25 goal scoring winger to build a team that still won't be ready to compete in 3 years because we haven't drafted a #1 center in over 20 years.

Hello! Think McFly Think!

Edited by LGR4GM

Amen, Paul Stewart, Amen. You hit the nail on the head. My dream is for Lucic to get traded to the Flyers and the first time they play the Bruins, Lucic goes after Marchand. One can dream, can't they?

That would be awesome - especially since Marchand has spent years standing behind the protective skirts of Lucic, yapping like a little Chihuahua, spewing trash talk and vitriol while Lucic is there to protect him.

Lucic is a great player, he's a rare commodity that few teams have, and I'd love him to be a Sabre...and there is zero chance I'd give up this year's or next year's 1st for him, let alone both. Insanity, especially given where the Sabres are at in the rebuilding process.

A guy like Lucic is one of those complimentary players GMTM talks about. A concern of mine would be whether Lucic can play the same style of game and still get away with it elsewhere.

He only got one game for cross-checking Lapierre in the back of the head, the two games he got for smoking Rinaldo, and avoided countless other suspensions for his serial spearing (much less crap like running over Miller) is because he is in Boston.

I don't know if it's because Colie Campbell's kid is there or if it's because Jacobs is the director of the Board of Governors, but that club, Thornton aside, sure seems to get a lot of favorable non-calls.

I'm generally not one for tin foil hat conspiracies, but I do believe that if Lucic was a Sabre, he'd spend more games on suspension than dressed.

I didn't say he was the better option. I said I liked him better. And he's from Ithaca.

I think the simplest point being overlooked here is the discussion of what a complete player is. Lucic does not play all phases of the game. The player(s) we should draft in the next two years have that potential.

To further the point, they are also cost controlled. This is what makes this idea even more ludicrous. Nathan MacKinnon makes 1/6 of what Lucic makes today, and Lucic is up for a new contract at the end of 2015-2016 if capgeek is correct. And in line for a raise that he will almost certainly not live up to when he becomes a UFA. And bolts town after putting in two years without truly contending. This is the type of deal that should get a GM fired on the spot.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.