Off Topic - What Lucic Told Weise

LGR4GM

Again, the idea of "building around" a player is a fallacy. You build "with" players not "around" players. Lucic is a big part of a team that has won a Cup, played in another finals and has become a perennial Stanley Cup contender. Lucic is a unique talent I would love to see in a Sabres uniform.

He's still just a support player. You don't give up 2 shots at elite talent for a supporting cast member regardless of his playoff experience. He's the supplement you add to complete a team that might be short on what he brings. Trading two lottery picks for a support guy when you have insufficient talent elsewhere is foolhardy.

Trading for Lucic is not an option.

The second he puts on a Sabres sweater, he either starts playing like a wimp, or gets suspended 7 times a year.

The only team in the league he can flourish on, are the Bruiins, due to their "suspend only Thornton" status with the league.

Thanks. There are about a dozen other things that can be added to that list.

Chicago was fortunate to land two of the very best forwards in the game which affords them to play a different style. You can't plan on any picks becoming the very elite of the NHL. You can identify a path and build accordingly. The Bruins model is style that would go over very well in Buffalo. It fits the city and the fan base. It can also be very successful if done correctly.

It might. But that entire system began and probably ends with Chara.

Unbelievably Muckler chose Wade Redden over Chara and let Chara walk for nuttin at all.

Lucic is the cherry. But Chara is the first three scoops of ice cream in that sundae.

He played five postseason games last year and averaged less than nine minutes a game... Still searching for Chicago's Lucic.

There is no other "Lucic" in the league which makes him so unique and valuable. I can pretty much guarantee if Lucic was available teams like the Blackhawks, Kings and Penguins, teams where the standard has become winning the Stanley Cup, would all be tripping over each other for a chance to land Lucic.

It might. But that entire system began and probably ends with Chara.

Unbelievably Muckler chose Wade Redden over Chara and let Chara walk for nuttin at all.

Lucic is the cherry. But Chara is the first three scoops of ice cream in that sundae.

Lucic is as much a part of what Boston has been able to do as Chara or any other player. They are both two valuable pieces of puzzle. They likely wouldn't have the success they have has without Chara just like they wouldn't likely have the same success without Lucic or Marchand or Bergeron or Krejci. It's about building a Cup contender, there is a Contender today, or a team aspiring to become a contender that wouldn't love adding Lucic. Lucic is a UFA after next season, if the Bruins allow him to hit the market, which I doubt, Lucic would be the most sought after free agent in the history of the NHL.

Dustin Byfuglien was Chicago's Lucic, until he became too pricey and they chose to stick with the Towews/Kane combo instead.

I don't follow the Jets, so I have no idea how he's done since he came here, except we always lose to the Jets, no matter who's playing.

He's still just a support player. You don't give up 2 shots at elite talent for a supporting cast member regardless of his playoff experience. He's the supplement you add to complete a team that might be short on what he brings. Trading two lottery picks for a support guy when you have insufficient talent elsewhere is foolhardy.

There is no other top six forward in the league that brings to the game what Lucic brings at his level. Frankly, two lottery picks wouldn't be enough for the Bruins to let Lucic go. I'm sure they would expect more in return. Like it out not folks, put the bias aside and give Lucic the credit he deserves, he is a game changer for any franchise. Look what he did for the Bruins and look at what he did to the Sabres.

on the other hand here's Briere, a good guy well respected in the league mic'ed up during the handshake,

http://video.canadie...=618275&lang=en

New thread ...

Off Topic - What did Danny say to Bergeron?

tag = 'parlez vous française'

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

There is no other top six forward in the league that brings to the game what Lucic brings at his level. Frankly, two lottery picks wouldn't be enough for the Bruins to let Lucic go. I'm sure they would expect more in return. Like it out not folks, put the bias aside and give Lucic the credit he deserves, he is a game changer for any franchise. Look what he did for the Bruins and look at what he did to the Sabres.

Lucic may make perfect sense to a team like Pittsburgh, Anaheim, LA, etc. that already has a significant talent base. I'm not arguing Lucic's value to a playoff team. What I am arguing is the absurd notion you posted on the previous page that you would trade our #2 overall this year and lottery pick next year for him. The teams you mentioned above all have a base of talent that Lucic would add to nicely, and bring a level of intensity as well. The Sabres trading those to picks for Lucic accomplishes exactly what you said we shouldn't do, build around one individual. Without those two picks there simply isn't any other meaningful assets to obtain the remainder of the talent we'd need.

Edited by weave

Lucic may make perfect sense to a team like Pittsburgh, Anaheim, LA, etc. that already has a significant talent base. I'm not arguing Lucic's value to a playoff team. What I am arguing is the absurd notion you posted on the previous page that you would trade our #2 overall this year and lottery pick next year for him. The teams you mentioned above all have a base of talent that Lucic would add to nicely, and bring a level of intensity as well. The Sabres trading those to picks for Lucic accomplishes exactly what you said we shouldn't do, build around one individual. Without those two picks there simply isn't any other meaningful assets to obtain the remainder of the talent we'd need.

They would still have a lottery pick in the Islander's #1.

I'm willing to gamble that the two players the Sabres could draft, combined, will not have the impact that Lucic could have. I'd still have a #1 and a bunch of other picks. I also have recently drafted players like Girgensson that I can build with or use to bring in other players.

There is no other top six forward in the league that brings to the game what Lucic brings at his level.

I see that you like him. I see that you think he is a unique talent. I think that too.

But I don't think most GM's would pay more for Lucic than Rick Nash, Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan or Henrik Zetterberg.

They kinda bring something more than Lucic. More talent.

I'm guessing you would trade Zemgus for Lucic?

I think I would give it serious consideration, but I'm not sure I make that deal.

Edited by X. Benedict

Thanks for the input Darcy, we've seen this exact plan fail for decades now. It's time to get aggressive and try something different.

Really? We have 17 first and second round picks over a 4 yr period. That's pretty aggressive and different.

Echoing the thoughts of some others on here, I think the Lucic price being set here is way over the top. Two top five picks for a guy who might be the 3rd best player on his own team? And that's optimistic? I think you could make the case that he's the 5th or 6th best piece on the B's. Chara, Bergeron, Rask, Krejci, Marchand.

As for a comparable, I think Wayne Simmonds brings the same production and a physical element. Just without any of the sideshow nonsense that Lucic brings to the rink. Personally, I think that if I got to watch Patrice Bergeron every game, I'd be mad to see the lack of discipline out of a player who could be even more valuable if his head was screwed on straight.

They would still have a lottery pick in the Islander's #1.

I'm willing to gamble that the two players the Sabres could draft, combined, will not have the impact that Lucic could have. I'd still have a #1 and a bunch of other picks. I also have recently drafted players like Girgensson that I can build with or use to bring in other players.

Are you listening to yourself? You think Jonathan Toews has less of an impact than Lucic? Because that is the level of player you draft this year and most assuredly next year.

Oh and BTW Sam Reinhart and Sam Bennett will both have more of an impact than Lucic. If you draft Eichel next year he will have more of an impact. Nikita Zadorov and Rasmus Ristolainen will have more of an impact. Milan Lucic is good. He's 6'4" 230lbs. You know how you neutralize that size? You tell 6'5" 235lb Zadorov to run him over. Outside of his size he is an average 2nd liner. There are a ton of other players in the league better at LW than Milan Lucic.

Plan:

Go to 8 Tuesday games at $12 a pop on the secondary market for a total of $96.

Invest the other $1000-4000 into a PA EDA muni bond at 3%.

In 2021 when the Sabres make the Cup, use the interest to buy tickets to games 5 and 7, then take the $35,000 in principal and get a mail order bride from Russia.

I thought Gus' sister was Latvian?

This is gold.

There is no objective way to think Lucic is as valued around the league as he is to Deluca.

The guy didn't make his own national team and is no better than the third best player on his club team.

He's not a five-star player, just one of many four -star players.

There is no other "Lucic" in the league which makes him so unique and valuable. I can pretty much guarantee if Lucic was available teams like the Blackhawks, Kings and Penguins, teams where the standard has become winning the Stanley Cup, would all be tripping over each other for a chance to land Lucic.

Unique =/= valuable. Your obsession and ignorance towards Lucic grosses me out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.