Season Ticket Prices

LGR4GM

And what advantage have his billions provided to the team so far?

That's not a good answer, and you know it. I'll meet you at the City Mission for lunch. I mean, it's free — why pay for food? Are we stupid or something?

Straw Man alert.

I feel like King Kong knocking down the little airplanes.

King Kong isn't exactly a success story ;)

The team is still in Buffalo. If you don't want to like him that's your prerogative but you can't sit there and claim that he has not done anything for the team. It's a complete falsehood.

I'm only 11 career NHL goals behind all of them combined......I'm F'n AWESOME!!!

But while their potential to score additional NHL goals remains, your potential goal total will remain 0. :)

Cup holders on the pissers.

Which is funny to me. But also half-serious.

We've improved a lot of game-night things. More/better digital display rings around the arena. More concession staff (read: more beer kiosks on the 300 level with shorter lines). Then there's Harbor Center, which gives us more parking options, another bar to watch games downtown, a donut shop that I hope to god is open until bar time for drunken donut revelry. Oh, and the hockey rinks, which bring their own enormous slew of benefits. I think the television broadcast improved substantially (despite RJ calling fewer games for obvious, well thought-out reasons). We have better alumni relations- he flew alumni from around the continent (world?) into Buffalo for alumni night.

These resources improve the franchise, and since his ownership began, the franchise has improved. Just not the product on the ice. I'm well aware of how important winning the Cup is, and like many, I'd throw all that other stuff down the toilet to win the Cup. But the things accomplished off-ice so far are quite nice and only getting nicer.

And as LTS said, this franchise is much more financially stable than it was. And the future of the Sabres is firmly cemented in the City of Buffalo. Which is nice. The Bills' uncertainty cats an enormous looming shadow on the franchise from a fan's perspective.

As a franchise, we are poised destine for greatness. We just have so far to go on the ice, that's it's hard to see.

King Kong isn't exactly a success story ;)

Nice.

Wait...the man that got rid of Darcy, Lindy and Ryan. This guy is doing everything you wanted as a phantom GM. :P

I don't get the pissing and moaning over Pegula. He has done everything that's been asked of him by the doom-and-gloom types. On top of that, he's building in the community. He's gone way beyond buying his wife's favorite hockey team.

I'm not happy about the ticket prices but I understand the reason why, and, as Jeremy White pointed out this morning, Pegula re-invests the revenue sharing money in Buffalo.

I don't get the pissing and moaning over Pegula. He has done everything that's been asked of him by the doom-and-gloom types. On top of that, he's building in the community. He's gone way beyond buying his wife's favorite hockey team.

I'm not happy about the ticket prices but I understand the reason why, and, as Jeremy White pointed out this morning, Pegula re-invests the revenue sharing money in Buffalo.

Doom and gloom types? Is it a type? Is there not a legitimate reason to be doomy and gloomy? It's just pessimistic people inventing reasons to be depressed about the Sabres?

I'm a little confused by the point about Pegula investing the revenue sharing money in Buffalo. Does he put the revenue sharing check aside and earmark it for Buffalo? Would that not defeat the purpose of getting the check in the first place — to improve a small market team's bottom line? Would he not have built the HarborCenter had he not been getting revenue sharing?

A lot of questions. Take your time.

Doom and gloom types? Is it a type? Is there not a legitimate reason to be doomy and gloomy? It's just pessimistic people inventing reasons to be depressed about the Sabres?

I'm a little confused by the point about Pegula investing the revenue sharing money in Buffalo. Does he put the revenue sharing check aside and earmark it for Buffalo? Would that not defeat the purpose of getting the check in the first place — to improve a small market team's bottom line? Would he not have built the HarborCenter had he not been getting revenue sharing?

But only one of the questions needs to be answered, and the answer is yes.

Edited by Eleven

The team is still in Buffalo. If you don't want to like him that's your prerogative but you can't sit there and claim that he has not done anything for the team. It's a complete falsehood.

The question wasn't whether he has done "things" for the team. He has. The question is whether his ridiculous wealth and willingess to spend it has been an advantage. The team is no better off, actually inarguably worse, than it was under Old Sugar Packets. I'm not talking about the franchise, the business view of things. Things are rosy. Great. Hell, you can argue the Bills franchise is better off than it was during the Super Bowl years. So what?

But only one of the questions needs to be answered, and the answer is yes.

No actual reasons to be depressed?

I am not a season ticket holder and never have been, so maybe I should not get a say in this.

After the last few stinkfest seasons they have their nerve.

Also, this 6.5% rebate thingy is a scam. It's designed for people to go to this HarborCenter (why can't you yanks spell like the rest of us ... :P ... the spell check feature even has it as it's spelled wrong) and spend even more money.

They say you get what you pay for ... well, not always.

I also think it goes against the spirit of revenue sharing when billionaires get that $. IMO, there should be no such thing as revenue sharing, unless the team is actually not owed by a 1%er. Maybe community owned like the Packers (are they still community owned?).

Also, this 6.5% rebate thingy is a scam. It's designed for people to go to this HarborCenter (why can't you yanks spell like the rest of us ... :P ... the spell check feature even has it as it's spelled wrong)

Because it's Harbor and Center and anything else is an attempt to cheat at Scrabble!

I remember when I started reading the board I thought a lot of people would be happy when Darcy was finally shown the door. Nope, not really. Either all this little stuff in ownership bothers you or it doesn't. You certainly have your moments when you dig in with your mind-claws and ask questions, but most of the time I just read it and say, "eh, I don't think the same way he does."

Since he's come on, he's improved the building, added to the hockey department significantly, and (after giving them a chance to show HIM and his crew what they could do under his ownership) punted the guys you wanted punted. How hasn't he invested in Buffalo? (Not even going towards the HarborCenter and buying the Amerks & Jackals.)

I don't know if TM & TN are the right guys to get the job done - we'll know that in a few years, but they have enough of a pedigree and say the right things, so I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt. But even if they're wrong, who else & what else do you want to see for him to show he's 'investing the revenue sharing.'

Since he's come on, he's improved the building, added to the hockey department significantly, and (after giving them a chance to show HIM and his crew what they could do under his ownership) punted the guys you wanted punted. How hasn't he invested in Buffalo? (Not even going towards the HarborCenter and buying the Amerks & Jackals.)

I don't know if TM & TN are the right guys to get the job done - we'll know that in a few years, but they have enough of a pedigree and say the right things, so I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt. But even if they're wrong, who else & what else do you want to see for him to show he's 'investing the revenue sharing.'

Of course he's invested money in the team and the HarborCenter. Why would I doubt that? My question was more literal. Something attributed to Jeremy White and agreed to by Eleven sounded like Pegula dedicates the revenue sharing money to investment, like there's a change jar he tosses 10 million dollars into to use for a specific purpose. I don't think that's the case, but maybe I missed something.

It's two things that don't follow. Pegula gets revenue sharing from the league. Pegula invests in the Sabres and the community. One has nothing to do with the other.

Again, I have no beef with his commitment. I think he made bad decisions at the start, spent foolishly at the wrong time, has questionable people advising him on hockey, and meddles. Different issues.

I remember when I started reading the board I thought a lot of people would be happy when Darcy was finally shown the door. Nope, not really. Either all this little stuff in ownership bothers you or it doesn't. You certainly have your moments when you dig in with your mind-claws and ask questions, but most of the time I just read it and say, "eh, I don't think the same way he does."

I'm happy Darcy is gone. It doesn't mean I can't criticize the ticket price increases. I and others have said it before. There's just this ham-handed, tone-deaf (hi Aud) and near-arrogant way these guys handle issues of public relations. A one-year vacation from raising ticket prices wouldn't have killed them.

I'm happy Darcy is gone. It doesn't mean I can't criticize the ticket price increases. I and others have said it before. There's just this ham-handed, tone-deaf (hi Aud) and near-arrogant way these guys handle issues of public relations. A one-year vacation from raising ticket prices wouldn't have killed them.

I also don't have the energy to react indignantly every time we learn... anything about the organization.

The price went up?! Well it's about time!!!

I've been rooting for them to be terrible for ever! I hate this team!!! But the fact that I can drink more free beer while watching them lose, makes it worth the price of admission!

Now, if only they could lose more games... what do you say we re-pick Ville Leino with our first free-agent, I mean draft pick? Ha, ha, with a first time GM, we're ripe for plundering!!!

Whadger say we just tell the good'uns to stay down next year? Then, we'll be REALLY bad, RIGHT?!! Ha, ha, the "best prospects" in the NHL, LOL!

Because we want to LOSE AS MANY GAMES AS POSSIBLE, BECAUSE WE WANT TO SUCK, right? Right? Whip it! (whip it)... Next year, Amerks...

Whip it Real Good! I LOVE IT WHEN THEY LOSE!

I WANT BEER WHEN THE AMERKS LOSE!!! THANK YOU TERRY!!!

None that you've given. He's done everything that you wanted and more. Now, it's on to inventing hidden agendas, conspiracy theories, Penn State nepotism, whatever. It's all invention. Who has time for it?

None that you've given. He's done everything that you wanted and more. Now, it's on to inventing hidden agendas, conspiracy theories, Penn State nepotism, whatever. It's all invention. Who has time for it?

I wanted him to clean house on Day One, hire the best hockey people available, get out of the way, sign the checks and give me a Cup parade by this spring, Year Three. So, yeah, he's done everything I wanted.

It really is simple. The increase in ticket prices directly affects the league total HRR, which directly increases the Salary Cap, which helps his wealth become more of an advantage. I really is the reason for doing it. This years fake price increase is absolute proof of that.

Additionally, by qualifying got revenue sharing, he's taking money out of the pockets of other teams.

It helps the Sabres, it hurts the other teams. If he DIDN'T do it I'd be upset.

It has nothing to do with anything else mentioned in this thread.

I like conspiracy theories!!! Especially when I figure out what's what......I just usually don't give a poop if someone is making a private buck off of it. I do when they fleece the public, or cover for the taking of innocence.

I'm pissed because if I find gold beneath my property it belongs to New York State, and goes towards the general good, but the gas beneath my property doesn't belong to me, and isn't considered a State Resource.

If I were to find the biggest richest vein of gold in all of the country in my own backyard, that would belong to the State. I don't hate government, because they provide the roads and schools that I use, and the gold could also be used to buy food and shelter and water for many. However, if it is gas or oil that is found, then a bunch of millionaires are going to get richer, under my own feet, and the money will not be distributed evenly.

If you live in New York State, then perhaps you have some concept of the State's natural resources. Perhaps you feel a sense of pride for living in such an abundant state. I am sure that you pay taxes, so I'd forgive you for feeling a sense of investiture or ownership in the State. I'd like to remind you, though, that you don't own the oil and gas, because that's a private resource, rather than a State resource. Any pride that you might take in the fact that New York State has gas reserves should be divorced from your calculus. Natural Gas is not a State Resource.

Edited by Yuri Olesha

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.