Season Ticket Prices

LGR4GM

It is what it is. The rebate increase was nice....but yet again people want to throw a parade.

Ticket hikes suck.

But, so not seeing sinister motives in something structurally inevitable is a "parade"?

Geez. :rolleyes:

Here's the parade: The Sabres are CBA compliant. Waahoooo!

No one is throwing a parade. Stop exaggerating.

It's a conglomeration run by an eccentric billionaire.

Considering the history of stagnation in the city, it's always nice when someone from the outside makes a capital investment. My main focus with Pegula was as the owner of the Buffalo Sabres, and to me and others, he hasn't kept his word as far as the hockey team operations goes.

People want to deflect the fact he hasn't lived up to his words on that front by calling people who want to hold him accountable on his words as "Pegula Haters" or "You don't appreciate Buffalo". Bottom line....Pegula and his crew came in saying. 1) "I don't need to raise ticket prices, if I want to make money I will go drill another well." 2) "The sole reason for existence of the Buffalo Sabres is to win multiple Stanley Cups." 3) "Terry has no interest in becoming a real estate developer."

As the owner of the Sabres, after 4 seasons, the team is the worst in the NHL by miles, ticket prices are up 20%, He has spent just as much if not more on real estate development as on the actual team with the assistance of public funding, and his supposed biggest asset, his wallet, has gone towards paying tens of millions to buyouts for his incompetent GM, coach for life, and overpriced free agents.

I don't really care about a bunch of 11 year old rugrats and their Prius driving moms coming downtown for 3 hours, or a 20 foot 3D hologram of Tim Horton greeting me as I buy a $4 coffee at an establishment paying rent to a guy who wasn't in town to make money. I care first and foremost about the team and their standing as a community asset.

To this point, a 5 year old throwing darts at a Hockey Digest could have had this franchise running more smoothly. I don't need to be told how awesome Pegula is every time someone points out a valid concern. For $2500 for a pair of tickets in the last row of the 300's.....I'd expect the biggest accomplishment in the first 4 years to be a little more than beer shelves in the pisser, and an Omelet Station in the locker room.....

Considering the history of stagnation in the city, it's always nice when someone from the outside makes a capital investment. My main focus with Pegula was as the owner of the Buffalo Sabres, and to me and others, he hasn't kept his word as far as the hockey team operations goes.

People want to deflect the fact he hasn't lived up to his words on that front by calling people who want to hold him accountable on his words as "Pegula Haters" or "You don't appreciate Buffalo". Bottom line....Pegula and his crew came in saying. 1) "I don't need to raise ticket prices, if I want to make money I will go drill another well." 2) "The sole reason for existence of the Buffalo Sabres is to win multiple Stanley Cups." 3) "Terry has no interest in becoming a real estate developer."

As the owner of the Sabres, after 4 seasons, the team is the worst in the NHL by miles, ticket prices are up 20%, He has spent just as much if not more on real estate development as on the actual team with the assistance of public funding, and his supposed biggest asset, his wallet, has gone towards paying tens of millions to buyouts for his incompetent GM, coach for life, and overpriced free agents.

I don't really care about a bunch of 11 year old rugrats and their Prius driving moms coming downtown for 3 hours, or a 20 foot 3D hologram of Tim Horton greeting me as I buy a $4 coffee at an establishment paying rent to a guy who wasn't in town to make money. I care first and foremost about the team and their standing as a community asset.

To this point, a 5 year old throwing darts at a Hockey Digest could have had this franchise running more smoothly. I don't need to be told how awesome Pegula is every time someone points out a valid concern. For $2500 for a pair of tickets in the last row of the 300's.....I'd expect the biggest accomplishment in the first 4 years to be a little more than beer shelves in the pisser, and an Omelet Station in the locker room.....

Better save this one so you can re-post it next year, when they have to raise ticket prices again because of the CBA.

Fact check: though. He's had the team since Feb 2011. 3 years and 3 months.

He didn't say:

"I don't need to raise ticket prices, if I want to make money I will go drill another well."

He said: "If I wanted to make money, I will go drill another well."

So far Pegula is doing a pretty good job of not making money on the Sabres. I don't think there is any evidence of an accounting profit or an economic profit in the strict sense of the definition. If anything the fact they have to submit a plan for a revenue short-fall is a pretty good indication that revenue is under-performing.

Not liking Pegula is fine. But blaming him or the organization for living up to minimum contractual obligations with players is the wrong thing to spit ball him for.

And that's my point.

Let parades ensue.

Edited by X. Benedict

Better save this one so you can re-post it next year, when they have to raise ticket prices again because of the CBA.

He didn't say:

"I don't need to raise ticket prices, if I want to make money I will go drill another well."

So far Pegula is doing a pretty good job of not making money on the Sabres. I don't think there is any evidence of an accounting profit or an economic profit in the strict sense of the definition. If anything the fact they have to submit a plan for a revenue short-fall is a pretty good indication that revenue is under-performing.

Not liking Pegula is fine. But blaming him or the organization for living up to minimum contractual obligations with players is the wrong thing to spit ball him for.

And that's my point.

Let parades ensue.

But what TYPE of parade?

A nice Macy's parade w/ a giant floating Underdog, 'Up w/ People' singing something sugary and sappy causing Pominville fans everywhere to get slightly (but ONLY slightly) verklempt, and Katie Curic wearing a big fuzzy hat.

Or a stern Soviet-style missles, tanks, & goose steppers, the band playing 'Volga Boatmen,' w/ someone waiving a shoe claiming 'we will bury you?'

Me, I'm in for the 2nd but will pass on the 1st unless the beer is good, cheap, cold, and freely flowing.

But what TYPE of parade?

A nice Macy's parade w/ a giant floating Underdog, 'Up w/ People' singing something sugary and sappy causing Pominville fans everywhere to get slightly (but ONLY slightly) verklempt, and Katie Curic wearing a big fuzzy hat.

Or a stern Soviet-style missles, tanks, & goose steppers, the band playing 'Volga Boatmen,' w/ someone waiving a shoe claiming 'we will bury you?'

Me, I'm in for the 2nd but will pass on the 1st unless the beer is good, cheap, cold, and freely flowing.

It's a fine May day. So give me Khrushchev, red banners, and olive drab. That's a parade!

For $2500 for a pair of tickets in the last row of the 300's.....I'd expect the biggest accomplishment in the first 4 years to be a little more than beer shelves in the pisser, and an Omelet Station in the locker room.....

I'm not going to comment on the rest of this thread (as I don't really think it's all that different from all the other 29 team's situations), but this is just funny.

He didn't say:

3 years 3 months......4 seasons.....

Fair enough on the 2nd point. He said he wasn't looking to make money. So the season ticket holders have basically been used to subsidize a 5 year buyout on a GM most hated....2 coaches....$28 million in upfront money to a guy who had 1 goal last year and is about to eat another $15 million...a veteran defenseman who was quoted by his family that he wanted and has since disappeared off the face of the earth and may be involved in another buyout...and a 20 something defenseman who admitted he didn't do any work, has a season ending injury every year, and at his best is the #5 defenseman of his draft class.

So yes.....Terry Pegula on an accounting basis may be losing money on the Buffalo Sabres. Especially when you add in depreciation and amortization of facilities and assets.

At least the Bisons "Terry...it's the Bandits"....are adding some excitement the past few weeks.....

3 years 3 months......4 seasons.....

Fair enough on the 2nd point. He said he wasn't looking to make money. So the season ticket holders have basically been used to subsidize a 5 year buyout on a GM most hated....2 coaches....$28 million in upfront money to a guy who had 1 goal last year and is about to eat another $15 million...a veteran defenseman who was quoted by his family that he wanted and has since disappeared off the face of the earth and may be involved in another buyout...and a 20 something defenseman who admitted he didn't do any work, has a season ending injury every year, and at his best is the #5 defenseman of his draft class.

So yes.....Terry Pegula on an accounting basis may be losing money on the Buffalo Sabres. Especially when you add in depreciation and amortization of facilities and assets.

At least the Bisons "Terry...it's the Bandits"....are adding some excitement the past few weeks.....

Some loose accounting - maybe parts of 4 seasons. Okay if you need it that way.

If tickets are under-market value (which they are), it is the season ticket holders that are being subsidized.

That doesn't make the team any better, the team has stunk, but that's the direction of the subsidy in economic terms.

Fans are paying relatively cheap prices for a bad team - but no subsidy.

Some loose accounting - maybe parts of 4 seasons. Okay if you need it that way.

If tickets are under-market value (which they are), it is the season ticket holders that are being subsidized.

That doesn't make the team any better, the team has stunk, but that's the direction of the subsidy in economic terms.

Fans are paying relatively cheap prices for a bad team - but no subsidy.

Ok....I'll give you 3 seasons....."We want to win a Stanley Cup within 3 years"

You can tell me the direct quote...it's actually probably worse.

I'll give you a project.....find the ratio of average season ticket price to A) Median income for the metropolitan area...and B) Value of the franchise

I did it before to income....3 years ago...and it wasn't flattering. It's probably worse now.

My original post to this thread was "Good stuff" when responding to the bump in rebate relative to ticket price. It's only when the Parade Committee gets together and continues to defend a subpar regime while criticizing and jibing those who have had the foresight to call this ride from the beginning, that I take offense.

Hey....they don't have my AMEX on file down there....so I really shouldn't be concerned.....

Ok....I'll give you 3 seasons....."We want to win a Stanley Cup within 3 years"

You can tell me the direct quote...it's actually probably worse.

I'll give you a project.....find the ratio of average season ticket price to A) Median income for the metropolitan area...and B) Value of the franchise

I did it before to income....3 years ago...and it wasn't flattering. It's probably worse now.

My original post to this thread was "Good stuff" when responding to the bump in rebate relative to ticket price. It's only when the Parade Committee gets together and continues to defend a subpar regime while criticizing and jibing those who have had the foresight to call this ride from the beginning, that I take offense.

Hey....they don't have my AMEX on file down there....so I really shouldn't be concerned.....

Parade committee, eh? When have I been cheering.

Before you ascribe any emotions to me. Who you talking about?

My own feeling on the matter is that I would much rather see season tickets killed altogether and give the arena back to a fan base that cares, rather

than the library section of the lower bowl that know they can recoup most of their tickets on the secondary markets. I just don't see season ticket holders playing the martyr, or getting screwed here. They are smart enough to know what they are buying. And maybe I'm the cynical enough to think that no fan base "deserves" a cup winner more than any other. If they aren't happy with the deal, give em up, and I hope they do. Maybe we can get some energy in an overly gentrified arena. So I guess I can't stand the "whoa is me crap."

Terry promised me this. Boo-hoo. It's hockey. 29 teams lose. We ain't winning next year either. If you can't enjoy hockey knowing that. Don't buy em.

There's your parade.

Parade committee, eh? When have I been cheering.

Before you ascribe any emotions to me. Who you talking about?

My own feeling on the matter is that I would much rather see season tickets killed altogether and give the arena back to a fan base that cares, rather

than the library section of the lower bowl that know they can recoup most of their tickets on the secondary markets. I just don't see season ticket holders playing the martyr, or getting screwed here. They are smart enough to know what they are buying. And maybe I'm the cynical enough to think that no fan base "deserves" a cup winner more than any other. If they aren't happy with the deal, give em up, and I hope they do. Maybe we can get some energy in an overly gentrified arena. So I guess I can't stand the "whoa is me crap."

Terry promised me this. Boo-hoo. It's hockey. 29 teams lose. We ain't winning next year either. If you can't enjoy hockey knowing that. Don't buy em.

There's your parade.

This is a ###### parade, x. Your fired.

Excellent post.

Like I said, I'm glad to pay well over $100 dollars a pop, because that's the equivalent to 1/4 oz of marijuana. And the Sabres losing gets me high as a kite, though 1/4 oz of marijuana would get me high every day for a week, if I were to smoke 3x joints per day,

However, it is more worth it to see the Sabres lose for 3 hours, because the ultra-high that I get from the Sabres losing lasts about 2 days, but it is 4x more powerful than the high that I get from marijuana, if I were to buy a bag of marijuana that would last me for one week, smoking 3x per day. Sabre losing, lasts shorter, but is WAY better.

In a sense, the Sabres losing is keeping me sober, so, as you can imagine, I am a huge Pegula fan, because I am assured of losing with him as the owner. And it is easier for me to watch the Sabres, than to buy and smoke the equivalent marijuana for $100. If they win, though, I go into a tailspin.

But there's always meth. Meth is worse that the Sabres losing, but better than the Sabres winning. I am fine and happy, so long as the Sabres keep losing, but when they start winning I may go off the rails a bit.

Edited by Yuri Olesha

I'm not sure I should give a ###### about most of the past page.

I care about the Sabres owner in two ways:

1) Is he willing to spend the money necessary to make the Sabres better?

2) Is he going to interfere with his hockey people's ability to run the franchise effectively?

The answer to number one is "yes, in spades."

The answer to number two is "it depends what you think of Darcy."

I'll be a happy man when we can actually talk about the players on the ice again.

Edited by dudacek

I think that he is willing to spend money.

That is different than spending "the money to make the Sabres better."

It's a bad image for the players on the ice.

Pegula's image gets in the way of the product on the ice.

We are used to looking up to the owner as a person.

We are used to looking up to the owner as a person.

Am I supposed to look up to him as a ferret? An alien? Or a god? This makes no sense, even if I looked up to him, which I don't.

Edited by Eleven

Am I supposed to look up to him as a ferret? An alien? Or a god? This makes no sense, even if I looked up to him, which I don't.

He wants (or wanted to) be looked at as some sort of savior. That's why his face was everywhere after he bought the team.

Then, when things didn't immediately go his way, he mysteriously vanished. I guarantee if/when the team starts winning, he will suddenly want to be in the public eye.

Like I said, I'm glad to pay well over $100 dollars a pop, because that's the equivalent to 1/4 oz of marijuana. And the Sabres losing gets me high as a kite, though 1/4 oz of marijuana would get me high every day for a week, if I were to smoke 3x joints per day,

However, it is more worth it to see the Sabres lose for 3 hours, because the ultra-high that I get from the Sabres losing lasts about 2 days, but it is 4x more powerful than the high that I get from marijuana, if I were to buy a bag of marijuana that would last me for one week, smoking 3x per day. Sabre losing, lasts shorter, but is WAY better.

In a sense, the Sabres losing is keeping me sober, so, as you can imagine, I am a huge Pegula fan, because I am assured of losing with him as the owner. And it is easier for me to watch the Sabres, than to buy and smoke the equivalent marijuana for $100. If they win, though, I go into a tailspin.

But there's always meth. Meth is worse that the Sabres losing, but better than the Sabres winning. I am fine and happy, so long as the Sabres keep losing, but when they start winning I may go off the rails a bit.

Are you sure you don't smoke drugs? Are you sure you don't smoke a lot of drugs?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.