Season Ticket Prices

LGR4GM

Usually multi billionaires, become multi billionaires by being better at making/saving money. So that does not surprise me. Another thing that doesn't surprise me is prices raising especially considering buffalo has some of the cheapest tickets in the Nhl. I'd like to see you invest millions into a team and community, then get scoffed at for recuperating some loses. I don't care what he said, rich people don't buy or invest for any other means then to make money. I don't think your question is the head scratcher you thought it was

OK, then how does it make you feel believing that Terry lied to us from Day One?

I also think it goes against the spirit of revenue sharing when billionaires get that $. IMO, there should be no such thing as revenue sharing, unless the team is actually not owed by a 1%er. Maybe community owned like the Packers (are they still community owned?).

Revenue sharing has absolutely nothing to do with the wallet size of any individual owner. The whole goal is to get as close as possible to a scenario where every single owner makes money. This league exists as a single unit trying to make money for everyone. If you're making $10 a week and I'm losing $3, you kick a couple extra dollars my way to keep me out of the red, while still making money. In the big picture, they league revenue is still exactly the same. Those couple extra bucks keep me from shutting down my team. Sure, I might have a ton of money from other stuff, but you can't establish rules based on a rare circumstance. The more crazy conditions you throw into the agreement, the more difficult it becomes to follow.

As far as loaded questions go, you can write some doozies.

Well, sure, but I don't think that's a good example of one. The poster actually loaded the question for me. He thinks Pegula bought the team for the sole purpose of making money. He has to reconcile that belief against why Terry said he bought the team, ya know, "the reason for existence" line. I don't even believe what the poster said, so go attack him.

---

How many teams qualify for revenue sharing? Do any owners leave money on the table?

Edited by PASabreFan

Well, sure, but I don't think that's a good example of one. The poster actually loaded the question for me. He thinks Pegula bought the team for the sole purpose of making money. He has to reconcile that belief against why Terry said he bought the team, ya know, "the reason for existence" line. I don't even believe what the poster said, so go attack him.

---

How many teams qualify for revenue sharing? Do any owners leave money on the table?

15. Why would they? The system was designed for the health of the entire league.

Complying with the revenue sharing scheme is a cap and CBA matter. It is more than just grabbing money.

So, billionaires who own NHL teams that are in money loosing markets get to play with their toys, while teams like Toronto and NYR, maybe Montreal, pay the freight.

That's rich. Really rich, I say.

Maybe I'm stupid, but that makes no sense.

The purpose is to spread out revenue more evenly across the entire league, revenue that is a product of what the league does as a whole. Why should one guy suddenly not qualify for that simply because he has more money than someone else. Should I get a bigger paycheck than a person doing the same job at the same company simply because he's got a rich father?

The owners as a whole agreed to the rules which are in place. There is nothing to complain about here from any of them. Of course, the only complaints are coming from people completely independent of the process who have no idea what is really going on.

So, billionaires who own NHL teams that are in money loosing markets get to play with their toys, while teams like Toronto and NYR, maybe Montreal, pay the freight.

That's rich. Really rich, I say.

Maybe I'm stupid, but that makes no sense.

Think of nhl revenue as one big pie. Half that pie goes to players. The other half is divided up by the owners and clubs, but not evenly.

The big revenue teams never wanted a salary cap. The agreement to share league revenue is contingent upon small market teams to meet benchmarks to expand their own revenues. That involves ticket sales and attendance benchmarks.

The team has to try to reach these benchmarks in good faith.

As a consumer you are free to hate it, but it really makes for a competitive league ensuring that the salary cap works league-wide.

15. Why would they? The system was designed for the health of the entire league.

Teams are not compelled to participate in revenue sharing, right? It's always framed as a choice in Buffalo. If we want the check, we have to raise prices, keep up revenues and attendance, etc. I'm just wondering if any teams opt out or shoot for revenue sharing but fall short. Yes, I could research it. I have tried. I give up when the first google result doesn't pan out.

If I'm the Toronto Maple Leafs I would not like this.

I do understand why it's done. I know it's not the only in the NHL.

As a ticket buyer, which I'm not, I'd be pissed at the system, but logically I would not direct that anger at the Sabres organization. In reality, though, I would. So, much so that if I had them, I'd be seriously thinking about giving up my season tickets.

Teams are not compelled to participate in revenue sharing, right? It's always framed as a choice in Buffalo. If we want the check, we have to raise prices, keep up revenues and attendance, etc. I'm just wondering if any teams opt out or shoot for revenue sharing but fall short. Yes, I could research it. I have tried. I give up when the first google result doesn't pan out.

You are proposing giving money to our competition. Not qualifying would competitively harm the sabres.

Don't have the energy or time to see what tix cost in other sections last year vs this. In my pricing tier, full season prices are up 5.1% vs last year (0.8% after the increased rebate).

Though it might simply be the case of my tier going up more than 4% and others went up less for netting out to 4%; my guess is that the additional cost is due to an extra preseason game I have to pay for now. Don't feel like going to the Sabres website to check the official per game cost and verify that's the discrepancy; 1st year I can recall them not including that w/ the invoice.

They have a responsibility to try to meet the targets is the best way to put it.

And these have strong monetary incentives.

Edited by X. Benedict

Let's say it's 30M. He's sunk that, and more, into Harbor Center. WTF do you want, man?

Money for nothing. And tix for free.

No ######. I'd love to see any member of this board put up that proportionate share of her/his income into a project that builds up Buffalo, and then be criticized for it.

Edited by Eleven

No ######. I'd love to see any member of this board put up that proportionate share of her/his income into a project that builds up Buffalo, and then be criticized for it.

You mean 4% of his net worth????

Or a year's worth of income investing in treasuries at 3%???

That would be like me buying a house on Bailey, renting it out. and expecting a full page ad in the Buffalo News with printing press BJ's from all the local politicos with their nose up my A....

If Pegula is a hero to Buffalo, Donald Trump is 10x the hero to Atlantic City.......

OK, then how does it make you feel believing that Terry lied to us from Day One?

The guy is spending millions. Quite frankly I think he's earned and deserves the right to make his intentions seem more noble then they are in reality. Maybe he didn't buy it for the soul reason of making money, my guess would be it helped make up his mind

Let's say it's 30M. He's sunk that, and more, into Harbor Center. WTF do you want, man?

WTF are you talking about?

I haven't criticized him for it. I just don't think HarborCenter has much to do with the sole reason for existence of the Buffalo Sabres. What irks me is that he's getting so much credit for it, and being called a great owner, when under his watch the team has become a laughingstock, ticket prices have gone up over 20%, we're struggling to get to the cap floor and we're looking at an undetermined number of years of before the team is anywhere close to being a contender.

You are proposing giving money to our competition. Not qualifying would competitively harm the sabres.

You should email Ted and ask him to slip this into his media appearances and press releases explaining the ticket increases. Because all he ever wants to talk about is how the revenue sharing is important to the financial viability of the franchise and the attractiveness of the team to some mysterious future owner.

WTF are you talking about?

I think he's saying that Pegula is spending as much money as he can, and more, on the Sabres. He is spending even more than that to make Buffalo a better place. So what if he raised ticket prices? I'm sure there is some professional peer pressure involved in that anyway, and he gave more than that back in the form of rebates. Nothing to see here.

Edited by SwampD

You mean 4% of his net worth????

Or a year's worth of income investing in treasuries at 3%???

That would be like me buying a house on Bailey, renting it out. and expecting a full page ad in the Buffalo News with printing press BJ's from all the local politicos with their nose up my A....

If Pegula is a hero to Buffalo, Donald Trump is 10x the hero to Atlantic City.......

I said income. But if you want to go with net worth, fine. How many people are investing 4% of their net worth into making Buffalo a better place, just for the hell of it?

And I have no idea what your Buffalo News comment means. I don't think the guy is doing it for the publicity.

I think he's saying that Pegula is spending as much money as he can, and more, on the Sabres. He is spending even more than that to make Buffalo a better place. So what if he raised ticket prices? I'm sure there is some professional peer pressure involved in that anyway, and he gave more than that back in the form of rebates. Nothing to see here.

That is my point.

I don't understand the hatred of this guy, at all. It makes no ###### sense whatsoever.

Edited by Eleven

If I'm the Toronto Maple Leafs I would not like this.

I do understand why it's done. I know it's not the only in the NHL.

As a ticket buyer, which I'm not, I'd be pissed at the system, but logically I would not direct that anger at the Sabres organization. In reality, though, I would. So, much so that if I had them, I'd be seriously thinking about giving up my season tickets.

Toronto ownership agreed to the system so why does any of this matter?

And somebody would be in line to buy them locking you out of a chance to buy in when the tides turn.

Frustrating - but just a sign that season tickets in Buffalo are probably more than 4% under-market.

Toronto ownership agreed to the system so why does any of this matter?

Sure, but I'd bet they don't like it. The Leafs are a gold mine and ownership has to share some of that gold.

And somebody would be in line to buy them locking you out of a chance to buy in when the tides turn.

Frustrating - but just a sign that season tickets in Buffalo are probably more than 4% under-market.

Oh, I know there is a waiting list and no shortage of folks wanting season tickets.

I'd be fine with no chance to get season tickets when the Sabres are good again.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.