2014 Buffalo Sabres First Selection Discussion

IKnowPhysics

Who will be the Buffalo Sabres first selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Buffalo Sabres first selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft?

• Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) Center; 6’ 0.25”, 178 lbs. 2013-14: 57 games, 36-55-91, 118 PIM
    • Aaron Ekblad - Barrie Colts (OHL) Defenseman; 6’ 3.5”, 216 lbs. 2013-14: 58 games, 23-30-53, 91 PIM
    • Sam Reinhart - Kootenay Ice (WHL) Center; 6’ 0.75”, 185 lbs. 2013-14: 60 games, 36-69-105, 11 PIM
    • Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) Center; 6’ 1.5”, 204 lbs. 2013-14: 64 games, 38-67-105, 24 PIM
    • Michael Dal Colle - Oshawa Generals (OHL) Left Wing; 6’ 1.5”, 182 lbs. 2013-14: 67 games, 39-56-95, 34 PIM
    • Other
  2. 2. Bonus question: Who will be the first overall selection (currently held by FLA) in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft?

• Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) Center; 6’ 0.25”, 178 lbs. 2013-14: 57 games, 36-55-91, 118 PIM
    • Aaron Ekblad - Barrie Colts (OHL) Defenseman; 6’ 3.5”, 216 lbs. 2013-14: 58 games, 23-30-53, 91 PIM
    • Sam Reinhart - Kootenay Ice (WHL) Center; 6’ 0.75”, 185 lbs. 2013-14: 60 games, 36-69-105, 11 PIM
    • Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) Center; 6’ 1.5”, 204 lbs. 2013-14: 64 games, 38-67-105, 24 PIM
    • Michael Dal Colle - Oshawa Generals (OHL) Left Wing; 6’ 1.5”, 182 lbs. 2013-14: 67 games, 39-56-95, 34 PIM
    • Other

What if Tim Murray really likes William Nylander or Nick Ritchie? I was looking back at last years draft and wonder if the Flames had the #2 or #3 pick if they would have still drafted Monahan? If Montreal drafted #1 in 2012 would they have still picked Galchenyuk? Would Philly have drafted Couturier if they drafted top 5 in 2011?

As I look back on draft histories I hope Tim Murray does a great join weeding through all the hype and rankings and drafts the best player for the team he is building.

if he loves nylander he should take him. He's number one c though is clearly Sam Bennett

Was McKinnon supposed to be THIS good this fast? I am going to stop listening to all these so called experts on the draft and be hopeful that this year's crop of players is not as bad as people are saying. I know Mckinnon was clear number one last year but I am going to hold on to hope that one of these other top guys can shine as well.

Edited by CallawaySabres

Was McKinnon supposed to be THIS good this fast? I am going to stop listening to all these so called experts on the draft and be hopeful that this year's crop of players is not as bad as people are saying. I know Mckinnon was clear number one last year but I am going to hold on to hope that one of these other top guys can shine as well.

Yes. MacKinnon was expected to be a star. I mean nobody can predict seven points in two playoff games, but he was part of one of the best draft crops ever and he was at the top of it.

MacKinnon was set to go #1 two years before his draft day. Those guys are stars. All the rankings and mock drafts before the draft (the ones that made it seem like a hard decision between him and Seth Jones) are designed for hits on web pages. The NHL teams dont care about the central scouting rankings, those are released for us. The Avs knew what they were getting when the won the lottery.

Edited by ubkev

MacKinnon was set to go #1 two years before his draft day. Those guys are stars. All the rankings and mock drafts before the draft (the ones that made it seem like a hard decision between him and Seth Jones) are designed for hits on web pages. The NHL teams dont care about the central scouting rankings, those are released for us. The Avs knew what they were getting when the won the lottery.

This is why I'm always interested in McKenzie's consensus ranks: actual ranks from team scouts.

Here is the central scouting rankings from mid year: http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=699869

Different from most rankings Ive seen.

If Ekblad is considered by our people the top player do we pass on him if available to take a forward?

That depends on what Florida does and how much lower the Sabres consider the forward talent or if they do at all.

IMPO after doing a bit of research and watching some hockey, I have my top 5 rankings. My mind has changed on some things and I was actually surprised by things.

1) Aaron Ekblad - he is the best player in this draft. His puck skills are great for a defender and his size and skating give him elite potential. Watch his highlights, he has a canon of a shot and he controls the play. He reminds me of a mixture of Pysyk with his smooth skating and clear hockey IQ and Zadorov with his size and shot.

2) Sam Bennett - he is the best forward in the draft for a couple of reasons. First he will go to the dirty areas and battle every shift. He is the guy in the stanley cup playoffs who will break himself before he gives in. Bennett will go through a wall to win. On top of that he skates quite well and has good speed. His stickhandling and shot are both excellent and he knows how to get open and get shots on net. We should take Bennett.

3) Sam Reinhart - If he was a grittier player he could be the best in the draft but he isn't and he isn't going to be. He has excellent vision, a good shot, and is a leader. A very smart player (we all know) but I get the impression it will take more for his game to transfer to the NHL. He likes to stay on the outside and dish pucks off or take shots but he isn't going to battle in the corners every play. His passing and reads are quite amazing but Bennett can basically do the same thing.

4) Michael Dal Colle - his shot is deadly and wonderful. His skating is superb and when you watch him drive the net and flash that quick release it is perfection. He lacks just a little of the other traits that make Reinhart and Bennett superior. His defense is solid but I think his overall skill set is just not quite at the level of the other two (minus his shot which is the best). He will be a solid top line winger but the other 3 can be game controllers and Dal Colle isn't.

5) Leon Draisaitl - I want to like Leon more. He has good size and he will battle down low. His shot is okay but he reads plays really well and gets in good positions. He can cycle the puck well with his teammates and his stick skills are really good. His skating, something everyone has questioned, is ok but he isn't very fast. He has good balance and such but the other 4 guys would beat him with speed. I question his work ethic as well, sometimes he dominates, other times he is a non factor. He is a more risky pick and that is why he falls to 5.

My summary is that the Florida Panthers will draft Ekblad. He gives them a large puck moving defender to compliment a burgeoning core of blue liners. The Sabres will draft Bennett and he will perfectly compliment Girgensons after one more season in the OHL. He has the drive, skills, and nastiness that we need. Edmonton is taking Draisaitl and I actually think that will work for them because they need size. Reinhart falls to Calgary and I think being a WHL guy this will work out for them but that all depends on the team they want. Dal Colle is still falling to NYI and I believe they retain the pick this year. Dal Colle will be a perfect winger for Tavares in a couple years.

if he loves nylander he should take him. He's number one c though is clearly Sam Bennett

I think we'll take Bennett if Florida takes Ekblad. But, if Bennett is gone then it gets interesting. Not sure if Murray would favor Draisaitl's size and power over the less physical, but (arguably) more skilled Reinhart.

I think we'll take Bennett if Florida takes Ekblad. But, if Bennett is gone then it gets interesting. Not sure if Murray would favor Draisaitl's size and power over the less physical, but (arguably) more skilled Reinhart.

I'd take Dal Colle if Florida takes Bennett but I believe TM would take Draisaitl because he values his size.

I'd take Dal Colle if Florida takes Bennett but I believe TM would take Draisaitl because he values his size.

thanks for the input and taking the time to list your prospect rankings.. For those of us who don't get the chance to watch these young guys play, it's nice being able to read condensed versions of whatever nhl.com or anyone else has written up.

thanks for the input and taking the time to list your prospect rankings.. For those of us who don't get the chance to watch these young guys play, it's nice being able to read condensed versions of whatever nhl.com or anyone else has written up.

No problem, there seems to be a general consensus from the tsn and nhl guys on what each of the top players bring to the table.

I should note basically every mock draft has us taking Reinhart. After the video and the reports on him, I don't think he is TM's type. Murray wants Bennett but I think he would settle for Draisaitl if he had do. I could be wrong but I think the Sabres take Bennett.

From watching him, I disagree with any notion that Reinhart won't go into the corners. He'll battle for pucks. The only physical difference in Bennett and Reinhart's play is that you won't see Reinhart land a big open ice hit other than by accident or nail a guy against the boards. Bennett can and will do that.

Let's not forget that Reinhart has as many career fights as Bennett.

Edited by Tankalicious

From watching him, I disagree with any notion that Reinhart won't go into the corners. He'll battle for pucks. The only physical difference in Bennett and Reinhart's play is that you won't see Reinhart land a big open ice hit other than by accident or nail a guy against the boards. Bennett can and will do that.

Which is irrelevant. I don't like Bennett more because of fights, I like him because he battles harder than Reinhart and has just as much skill.

I'll do my prospect rankings:

1. Sam Reinhart - I still stand by my statement that he stands alone as the top forward. He had separation coming into the season, and he still has that separation. His offensive production is off the charts, and it's not due to a lot of flashy plays. He'll never be flashy, but he'll always make the right play. His hockey sense is twice that of any other forward in this draft. He WILL battle and go to the corners. He's a true leader.

2. Aaron Ekblad - It's rare to gain exceptional status and not become the first overall pick, but Ekblad may end up doing that still to Florida. He looks like a guy who could anchor a defense. He's a big kid who will have no issues excelling on offense and defense. He can be physical or he can play the finesse game. He'll likely have to choose one or the other at the next level, but he could become a rare type that blends both. Only downside is that he's completely matured physically. He won't grow much more than he already has.

3. Sam Bennett - Nasty. That's pretty much how you'd describe Bennett's game in both the fact that he's a physical player and he can make some nasty plays on offense. He's flashy. That'll be tough to keep up in the pros, but he's got the hands and skating to do it. He'll lay you out without thinking twice. Game is riskier than other forwards in the draft. Will take more penalties and miss more games due to injury.

4. Michael Dal Colle - He's also got some flash in his game. He's not as flashy as Bennett, but his shot is unmatched in this draft. He's got an NHL shot already. Placement or power, whatever you want in a shot he's got it. He'll be a winger in the NHL, but he'll be an asset that looks like a top six forward.

5. Leon Draisaitl - The question mark. He's got fantastic hands. He's got good size, too, but he won't use it unless he's got the puck. He won't play a physical game, but he doesn't need to because he, like Reinhart, plays a smart game. He'll produce at the next level if he can figure skating out. He's slower than the other players at the top, but his ability to fight with the puck on his stick should help offset that.

Sounds like a bulkier version of grigorenko. Especially if he needs to work on his skating and compete

Just to be clear, I don't know enough about any of these prospects to know one way or the other, so I don't have a preference. I just thought TM's previous comments about LD were telling. It's my understanding that Draisaitl is a puck possession type of centerman with good vision, which seems like just what this team is lacking more than anything.

In Murray I trust.

Don't have any other choice.

GO SABRES!!!

I think once again there has been a conflation of "hitting" with "battling"...I haven't read anywhere that Reinhart won't battle hard or go do the dirty areas.

Based on everything I've read here, I think this team needs one of the Sams, which one though, I'm torn on

I don't have a strong preference, and I'll be fine either way. If I were drafting I'd probably go with Reinhart, but Bennett's production being almost the same as Reinhart's, while also being younger and in the OHL intrigues me. My concern with Bennett is I've seen him projected as a C/LW...really don't want to draft a tweener at #2.

I think once again there has been a conflation of "hitting" with "battling"...I haven't read anywhere that Reinhart won't battle hard or go do the dirty areas.

I don't have a strong preference, and I'll be fine either way. If I were drafting I'd probably go with Reinhart, but Bennett's production being almost the same as Reinhart's, while also being younger and in the OHL intrigues me. My concern with Bennett is I've seen him projected as a C/LW...really don't want to draft a tweener at #2.

I agree with that last statement.

Just to be clear, I don't know enough about any of these prospects to know one way or the other, so I don't have a preference. I just thought TM's previous comments about LD were telling. It's my understanding that Draisaitl is a puck possession type of centerman with good vision, which seems like just what this team is lacking more than anything.

In Murray I trust.

Don't have any other choice.

GO SABRES!!!

But, we already have one of those in Leino ... :angel:

No problem, there seems to be a general consensus from the tsn and nhl guys on what each of the top players bring to the table.

I should note basically every mock draft has us taking Reinhart. After the video and the reports on him, I don't think he is TM's type. Murray wants Bennett but I think he would settle for Draisaitl if he had do. I could be wrong but I think the Sabres take Bennett.

I agree with this

2. Aaron Ekblad - It's rare to gain exceptional status and not become the first overall pick, but Ekblad may end up doing that still to Florida. He looks like a guy who could anchor a defense. He's a big kid who will have no issues excelling on offense and defense. He can be physical or he can play the finesse game. He'll likely have to choose one or the other at the next level, but he could become a rare type that blends both. Only downside is that he's completely matured physically. He won't grow much more than he already has.

It's still a new thing though. Ekblad is only the second kid to get that label. They're up to four now (Tavares, Ekblad, McDavid, Day), but obviously only one has been drafted so far.

It's still a new thing though. Ekblad is only the second kid to get that label. They're up to four now (Tavares, Ekblad, McDavid, Day), but obviously only one has been drafted so far.

True. Was going more for the fact that exceptional status is "exceptional" for a reason. I think most will be top picks.

I would like to start seeing more out of dal colle. Generals are down 2 0 in the series and he's been largely invisible. If we get the isles pick and he's still on the board I'm sure we take him but I haven't been overly impressed with him over the past 4 or 5 games now.

Edited by Derrico

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.