2014 Buffalo Sabres First Selection Discussion

IKnowPhysics

Who will be the Buffalo Sabres first selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Buffalo Sabres first selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft?

• Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) Center; 6’ 0.25”, 178 lbs. 2013-14: 57 games, 36-55-91, 118 PIM
    • Aaron Ekblad - Barrie Colts (OHL) Defenseman; 6’ 3.5”, 216 lbs. 2013-14: 58 games, 23-30-53, 91 PIM
    • Sam Reinhart - Kootenay Ice (WHL) Center; 6’ 0.75”, 185 lbs. 2013-14: 60 games, 36-69-105, 11 PIM
    • Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) Center; 6’ 1.5”, 204 lbs. 2013-14: 64 games, 38-67-105, 24 PIM
    • Michael Dal Colle - Oshawa Generals (OHL) Left Wing; 6’ 1.5”, 182 lbs. 2013-14: 67 games, 39-56-95, 34 PIM
    • Other
  2. 2. Bonus question: Who will be the first overall selection (currently held by FLA) in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft?

• Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) Center; 6’ 0.25”, 178 lbs. 2013-14: 57 games, 36-55-91, 118 PIM
    • Aaron Ekblad - Barrie Colts (OHL) Defenseman; 6’ 3.5”, 216 lbs. 2013-14: 58 games, 23-30-53, 91 PIM
    • Sam Reinhart - Kootenay Ice (WHL) Center; 6’ 0.75”, 185 lbs. 2013-14: 60 games, 36-69-105, 11 PIM
    • Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) Center; 6’ 1.5”, 204 lbs. 2013-14: 64 games, 38-67-105, 24 PIM
    • Michael Dal Colle - Oshawa Generals (OHL) Left Wing; 6’ 1.5”, 182 lbs. 2013-14: 67 games, 39-56-95, 34 PIM
    • Other

I don't think you can just blow off the leadership aspect with that pick. It does matter. It's why that Ho Sang isn't right up there right? And Gilbert was a leader. a quiet leader but a leader none the less.

W/ all due respect, no he wasn't.

He was the best non-goalie to ever wear b&g (take THAT Bernie Federko) but he was not a leader and NEVER should gave worn the 'C.' The Sabres and he would have both been better off.

He was the best non-goalie to ever wear b&g (take THAT Bernie Federko) but he was not a leader and NEVER should gave worn the 'C.' The Sabres and he would have both been better off.

I had this conversation with Bowman once. Scotty used the word "reluctant" IIRC.

I had this conversation with Bowman once. Scotty used the word "reluctant" IIRC.

Interesting. I'd interpret that as him being very close to backing off the big Detroit trade before pulling the trigger.

Too bad too. He took a team that seemed poised to win it all w/in 3 years (at the most) and set it on a course to go 10 years w/out a single series win much less 4 in one year.

Respect! I believe in leading by example also. Maybe I am putting too much emphasis on skill. But a guy who keeps his mouth shut and shows his stuff on the ice is to me leading by example and I am giving him credit for being a leader.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but Gare was the best Sabres captain IMO. 50 goals, fearless, and could fight with the best of them. He seemed to love being captain. Nothing reluctant there.

To be fair, by the time Perreault was captain, it didn't matter. And by that point, too, he was a "lead by example" guy. But in 1982? They could have made Joe Ferguson captain. Wouldn't have mattered; Scotty had killed the team.

You know nothing Liger

I just realized that we didn't get to see Danerys in her birthday suit all year.

I hope that's not a bad omen for tomorrow night.

Interesting. I'd interpret that as him being very close to backing off the big Detroit trade before pulling the trigger.

Too bad too. He took a team that seemed poised to win it all w/in 3 years (at the most) and set it on a course to go 10 years w/out a single series win much less 4 in one year.

Unforgiveable. He traded everyone's favorite Sabres and built a perennially average, disappointing team.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but Gare was the best Sabres captain IMO. 50 goals, fearless, and could fight with the best of them. He seemed to love being captain. Nothing reluctant there.

I'd go with Schoeny, but Gare was indeed a great captain.

I don't think you can just blow off the leadership aspect with that pick. It does matter. It's why that Ho Sang isn't right up there right? And Gilbert was a leader. a quiet leader but a leader none the less.

From what I understand, Ho Sang has the skill of a top 5 pick but lack of size and often being caught "back checking like ovechkin" –Paul Nault, has him projected to go mid 1st to early 2nd round.

Anything where I'm not wasting $2500 - $5000 annually to maintain my place. It's easier on you out-of-town guys!

I see where your coming from, unfortunately I live in Winnipeg so it wouldn't make sense for me to be a season ticket holders. However, as a die hard Sabres fan I feel as I am entitled to an opinion. While being butt puck last is no fun at all, especially when your Canadian and all your friends laugh that you would cheer for a last place American team. I find this more entertaining! How so? If we're going to miss the playoffs anyway, why not have the joy of being able to select some of, if not, the best young and upcoming guys. At least we have something to look forward to.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.