2014 Buffalo Sabres First Selection Discussion

IKnowPhysics

Who will be the Buffalo Sabres first selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Buffalo Sabres first selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft?

• Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) Center; 6’ 0.25”, 178 lbs. 2013-14: 57 games, 36-55-91, 118 PIM
    • Aaron Ekblad - Barrie Colts (OHL) Defenseman; 6’ 3.5”, 216 lbs. 2013-14: 58 games, 23-30-53, 91 PIM
    • Sam Reinhart - Kootenay Ice (WHL) Center; 6’ 0.75”, 185 lbs. 2013-14: 60 games, 36-69-105, 11 PIM
    • Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) Center; 6’ 1.5”, 204 lbs. 2013-14: 64 games, 38-67-105, 24 PIM
    • Michael Dal Colle - Oshawa Generals (OHL) Left Wing; 6’ 1.5”, 182 lbs. 2013-14: 67 games, 39-56-95, 34 PIM
    • Other
  2. 2. Bonus question: Who will be the first overall selection (currently held by FLA) in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft?

• Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) Center; 6’ 0.25”, 178 lbs. 2013-14: 57 games, 36-55-91, 118 PIM
    • Aaron Ekblad - Barrie Colts (OHL) Defenseman; 6’ 3.5”, 216 lbs. 2013-14: 58 games, 23-30-53, 91 PIM
    • Sam Reinhart - Kootenay Ice (WHL) Center; 6’ 0.75”, 185 lbs. 2013-14: 60 games, 36-69-105, 11 PIM
    • Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) Center; 6’ 1.5”, 204 lbs. 2013-14: 64 games, 38-67-105, 24 PIM
    • Michael Dal Colle - Oshawa Generals (OHL) Left Wing; 6’ 1.5”, 182 lbs. 2013-14: 67 games, 39-56-95, 34 PIM
    • Other

Last year I made some charts comparing player size to wins. The three biggest teams were Florida, Winnipeg, and Carolina. To become one of the biggest teams, you must believe that big wins, therefore I believe that Florida will take either Ekblad or Draisaitl. If it was a team that uses a model similar to my model, like Anaheim or Montreal, I would expect them to take Bennett.

As to the Barkov is to Jones as a Sam is to Ekblad, yeah, my confidence is probably unfounded, I now have that feeling where I need to change my mind, feels like a screwdriver in the ear, I love that feeling

very interesting spin on it. Drafting the largest player with skill. That makes me hopeful at least!

In May 2013, Nathan MacKinnon was the #1 player on ISS rankings followed by Jones and Nichushkin.

http://www.hockeysfu...pot-from-jones/

Zadorov was ranked higher than Ristolainen and Samuel Morin was ranked 30th but drafted 11th.

This is a perfect example of why the rankings aren't how the NHL teams set up their boards but are just a nice guideline more than actual rules.

http://youtu.be/6GMkuPiIZ2k

i agreed. Just curious why people seemed so confident we were going to have our choice of the sams

very interesting spin on it. Drafting the largest player with skill. That makes me hopeful at least!

i agreed. Just curious why people seemed so confident we were going to have our choice of the sams

Well last year they took Barkov instead of Jones. This year they can take Ekblad or Sam. Since they passed on a defender last year and since you can argue the Sam's are at or just below Ekblad it stands to reason that they would take the big defender they need since last year they took the big center they needed.

Well last year they took Barkov instead of Jones. This year they can take Ekblad or Sam. Since they passed on a defender last year and since you can argue the Sam's are at or just below Ekblad it stands to reason that they would take the big defender they need since last year they took the big center they needed.

Precisely my thinking as well. I think they either take Ekblad or they move the pick.

So my question is this. Why does everyone think fla will take ekblad? Last year Seth jones fell to them with the second pick and they chose barkov.

The answer is also the question. They took Barkov over the D last year when they still needed D then. They haven't gotten D but they got forwards. I'm pretty sure Ekblad will be the pick.

Regardless we are getting a potential top line player. So how about this one. If Tim Murray does want drisaitl ( think I kissed an "a" in there or something) and Sam reinhart falls to us at second. Do you think we should trade with calgary? (Assuming they want the bros together). What if they offered their pick and a good prospect? Or what if we offered a swap of firsts and one of our seconds and a prospect for Sean monohan. Is there a deal you think we could/should make ?

###### autocorrect. Kissed an = misspelled

Regardless we are getting a potential top line player. So how about this one. If Tim Murray does want drisaitl ( think I kissed an "a" in there or something) and Sam reinhart falls to us at second. Do you think we should trade with calgary? (Assuming they want the bros together). What if they offered their pick and a good prospect? Or what if we offered a swap of firsts and one of our seconds and a prospect for Sean monohan. Is there a deal you think we could/should make ?

They aren't trading Monahan. There is always a deal we could make but I don't think there is much that Buffalo gets offered that is a should make deal.

They aren't trading Monahan. There is always a deal we could make but I don't think there is much that Buffalo gets offered that is a should make deal.

I'll agree with this, take Monahan out of the equation. a 19 year rookie coming off a 20+ goal season is not going anywhere.

I would, however, not discount the Flames desire to jump ahead of the Oilers to grab a player like Reinhart. The question is, what would it take to move two spots up. If I were in Tim Murray's position, I would consider this an opportunity worth exploring. Looking at value, if I could get the Flames third rounder this year and a second rounder in the coveted 2015 draft, I would consider that great value knowing I could still get great quality at #4 in this years draft.

I'll agree with this, take Monahan out of the equation. a 19 year rookie coming off a 20+ goal season is not going anywhere.

I would, however, not discount the Flames desire to jump ahead of the Oilers to grab a player like Reinhart. The question is, what would it take to move two spots up. If I were in Tim Murray's position, I would consider this an opportunity worth exploring. Looking at value, if I could get the Flames third rounder this year and a second rounder in the coveted 2015 draft, I would consider that great value knowing I could still get great quality at #4 in this years draft.

i feel like Murray should go for a prospect instead if more picks. Even if that means throwing in a few picks or prospects of our own. Get a guy that has a year or two further in the process

i feel like Murray should go for a prospect instead if more picks. Even if that means throwing in a few picks or prospects of our own. Get a guy that has a year or two further in the process

Yes. No more draft picks; get prospects.

This is what Murray has alluded to in a few interviews. Speed up the process and get guys that are on the verge of breaking out as opposed to projects 2 or 3 years out.

But do you guys think it is worth it to drop down to calgarys place( assuming the want to move up and give up a prospect) for an extra player? I'm not familiar with their prospects. Who would you want to get?

Yes. No more draft picks; get prospects.

This is what Murray has alluded to in a few interviews. Speed up the process and get guys that are on the verge of breaking out as opposed to projects 2 or 3 years out.

Oooo Sven baertschi?!?!

I would start at swapping this years picks and asking for next years first from Calgary. Probably not going to happen but better to start high and u never know. I'd then take draisatl at 4 and have another first next year. I think Murrayreally wants draisatl but not at two. It wouldn't surprise me though if Murray takes draisatl second this year but that would be a bold move by Murray.

No prospects until after next years draft. Then we start looking at FAs and prospects.

While I'd love to get some near-NHL prospects, I'm not about to drop down a full tier of talent in the draft to get them. The Sabres' biggest issue is high-end talent, not depth. By trading down we'd be sacrificing adding to a weakness for the purpose of adding to a strength.

fair enough, although I thought the consensus is there are four top players then it drops to a second tier?

fair enough, although I thought the consensus is there are four top players then it drops to a second tier?

Well if you believe McKenzie's consensus ranks, Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett is the clear top tier with a clear dropoff after that--not a single scout he talked with had anyone outside of these three ranked #1.

U take Bennett at 2 uhen wait for McDavid next year and re-unite them

Or you take Bennett this year and Eichel next. Whatever happens happens. One way or another it's a different kind of excitement. Hopefully we can add some sort of a veteran presence that is a legitimate top 6 forward in the offseason.

You have to take into consideration who the trade partner is. I don't see the Flames as a team that will/should be parting with their top prospects. They're pretty much in the same boat as the Sabres. They are in desperate need of NHL ready players. A demand for one of their top prospects may/should be a conversation killer.

I understand the need for the Sabres to look for NHL ready prospects, I wouldn't pass up on an opportunity to add more assets, especially a 2nd rounder in what is perceived as a very deep draft.

While I'd love to get some near-NHL prospects, I'm not about to drop down a full tier of talent in the draft to get them. The Sabres' biggest issue is high-end talent, not depth. By trading down we'd be sacrificing adding to a weakness for the purpose of adding to a strength.

I agree. They should take the pick at 2nd and get the best forward available there. No need to play games or get fancy. Draft Reinhart/Bennett and be done with it. Draisaitl is a step below them because he is a slow skater, his edgework is good according to the scout but Reinhart and Bennett specifically have really good speed and I think sometimes the Sabres are a slow team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.