Next year won't be a "tank".

darksabre

On my college football message board, everyone incessantly refers to players by their initials (LT, JM, TR, etc.). It is hugely annoying since there are 85+ players and figuring out each by their initials is confusing. Have we gotten so lazy that we have to type 2 two letters instead of 5 or 6? five or six :D

Fixed :nana:

it's been bugging you that people around here taken to using initials to refer to the handful of people to whom we refer constantly?

dude.

I remember a point last year where someone was talking about Girgensons and Grigorenko in the same post and constantly as Grigs and Girgs. It's easy to see how that can mess with someone's head. At the end of the day, when you abbreviate names, you introduce the possibility of confusion. Short of having two guys with the same name, you're not going to throw anyone off by spelling out the name.

The way I get around typing things like "BRB" and other shortcuts on my phone is by actually setting up a keyboard shortcut. I type "BRB" but it autocorrects to "Be right back."

Ur doing the reader an incredible disservice by making them read in their head all the extra words.

I remember a point last year where someone was talking about Girgensons and Grigorenko in the same post and constantly as Grigs and Girgs. It's easy to see how that can mess with someone's head.

I was not a fan of that practice, whether singly or jointly. I'd rather people go with Zemgus and Grigo. The manufactured nickname aspect of the Grigs/Girgs was not my cup of tea.

At the end of the day, when you abbreviate names, you introduce the possibility of confusion.

if it's a practice limited to owner (TP), front office (TB, TM), and coach (TN), I don't see a problem with it.

actually, now seeing them all in a string, i see they're all T's. Hmm. Maybe it's a practice that does need to be BN'd (Buddy Nix'd).

seriously, though -- too many T's perhaps.

you're not going to throw anyone off by spelling out the name.

i am sympathetic to wanting a shorthand for names that get used all the time.

i will probably revert to my prior practice of using Pegula, Black, Murray, Nolan. easy enough.

if it's a practice limited to owner (TP), front office (TB, TM), and coach (TN), I don't see a problem with it.

actually, now seeing them all in a string, i see they're all T's. Hmm. Maybe it's a practice that does need to be BN'd (Buddy Nix'd).

seriously, though -- too many T's perhaps.

T is for Tank. Never enough T's in this FO.

p.s. why is it GMTM? we don't need to disambiguate him from Tim Macre, do we? is it just because GM-TM has a flow and flair to it?

Jesbus, can't we have nice things? Can't we just have something cool without someone bitching about it and making everyone sad?

Jesbus, can't we have nice things? Can't we just have something cool without someone bitching about it and making everyone sad?

who was bitching about GMTM? not me. i was just asking whence it came. i acknowledged that maybe it was just a product of how it flowed off the fingertips/tongue.

anyhoo, i'm back to referring to those fellas by last names. without PLF in the fold, it's not as fun.

God i hope next year is a tank, otherwise this years tank would have been pointless.

I don't think this year would have been totally pointless, but if the Sabres do something 'silly' like finishing 4th or 5th worse...and assuring themself of the 6th pick, I'll be very unhappy.

The problem is this...they have to finish last to get one of the top 2. There were times this year where finishing last was at least a little in doubt. It might be harder to finish last next year.....the 3-4 teams that are really REALLY struggling by the mid way point of the season may do what the Sabres did this year..and trade off a bunch of assets...and the race will be on to the bottom.

The Sabres needed their total collapse after the trade deadline to assure the bottom spot....it may be harder to do that this year, as the 'youngsters' they have may be a bit better than they were last year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.