Next year won't be a "tank".

darksabre

If you are a member of Anti tank nation - do yourself a favour and watch the USA play Finland in the under 18 IIHF World Championship.

http://www.fasthockey.com/ at 11:30 tomorrow morning. Watch Jack Eichel - he is your consolation prize if you miss out on McDavid.

If your still not sold - in the words of Flavour Flav - I Can't do Nuttin' for ya man!

We should have a poll where everybody identifies where they stand. Tank Nation or Anti-Tank Nation. We could put it in our signatures and then it'd be interesting to see who switches throughout the offseason/regular season.

I doubt there would be much switching between the two camps over the course of the season. I'd be more interested in how many of Tank Nation end up bitching about terrible hockey, and (down the road) how many anti-tank posters end up hanging their "we can win the Cup" hat on players acquired through tanking.

To be clear.

I don't want the Sabres to tank and I don't think they actually will tank, but the results will likely have us drafting either #1, or #2, in the 2015 draft.

That's about right for me.

Yup, completely agree. I want them to put the best players they have on the ice and see what happens but I expect us to be in the bottom 3 with ease.

Let's say that in mid February the 2014-15 Sabres are 6th place in the Atlantic, 8 points out of the wildcard, and 24th overall in the league. What would you do?

I would definately be looking to move Stafford, Stewart, and Mitchell (even Enroth and Neuvrith if there's interest) at the deadline, and I wouldn't be too concerned with replacing them with players, I'd just bring some bodies up from Rochester, and probably not the best ones i got.

In other words. If I'm not in the playoffs, and I'm not gonna be in the playoffs, I'm gonna tank.

Yup, completely agree. I want them to put the best players they have on the ice and see what happens but I expect us to be in the bottom 3 with ease.

Let me ask you this. The best players the Sabres have are probably going to include - Pysyk, McCabe, Risto, Zadorov and Rudi Do you want them to take up 5 of the 7 slots on the D next season? Or is it better to have these guys continue to develop in Rochester? (OHL for Z).

To be clear.

I don't want the Sabres to tank and I don't think they actually will tank, but the results will likely have us drafting either #1, or #2, in the 2015 draft.

That's about right for me.

I think this what will happen, and I know GMTM can't outright tank and the coaches/players will definitely not abide by it, but if we're out of the playoff picture by mid-January I don't see the point in trying to be good. I'm not talking about the conventional Robviously run of 8th place, but more like we start in January in the bottom 3, and we end up somewhere with 5-7. That pick won't be bad, but if we're already in the bottom 3, I'd want them to start having "September-Call-ups" from Rochester to get the kids some experience as well as, well, lose.

Sell off at the deadline and tryouts from January to April, that's what I want.

Let's say that in mid February the 2014-15 Sabres are 6th place in the Atlantic, 8 points out of the wildcard, and 24th overall in the league. What would you do?

I would definately be looking to move Stafford, Stewart, and Mitchell (even Enroth and Neuvrith if there's interest) at the deadline, and I wouldn't be too concerned with replacing them with players, I'd just bring some bodies up from Rochester, and probably not the best ones i got.

In other words. If I'm not in the playoffs, and I'm not gonna be in the playoffs, I'm gonna tank.

So pretty much this. Nice signature btw

Edited by WildCard

Yep, the goal is a Cup in Buffalo. Eyes on the prize people. Over are the days of feel good rides to quasi- respectability. Let's build a solid foundation on the back of back to back tanks. The Islanders tank will just be gravy..and bring an embarrassment of riches to the organ-eye-zation.

I don't want to purposely suck and be stuck watching terrible hockey, but I also don't want to be stuck drafting in the 9 - 14 range either.

I think you will be watching better hockey than this year, but we were historically bad this year so we can still improve and be last...which is nice all the way around.

Let me ask you this. The best players the Sabres have are probably going to include - Pysyk, McCabe, Risto, Zadorov and Rudi Do you want them to take up 5 of the 7 slots on the D next season? Or is it better to have these guys continue to develop in Rochester? (OHL for Z).

I'd keep Risto in Rochester and Zadorov in the OHL. The rest can play in Buffalo and learn there, they will be fine. Best players has limits based on development. Zadorov is better than Rhuwedel now but he can be an animal if given the proper time. TM I feel knows what to do.

Team X vs. Team Y in signatures? Nevermind the fact that we just finally got rid of this crap with the stormcloud/kittens thing, but what are we, a bunch of teenage girls watching crappy vampire movies?

You are right.

NS off to edit his profile.

Don't worry, you are still on team wet blanket.

You are also right.

:w00t:

To be clear.

But do you (and you, 11, and others supporting this view) want the Sabres to sign Ott, Callahan and Stastny this summer? I do.

Look here is what Timmy should do,

He has to buyout Leino because he is a cancer for this team, sorry Ville the truth is hard. Second he needs to re-up Conacher, Foligno, Ennis, Konopka. Those guys are good filler pieces or actual pieces to have. Sulzer and Hank are gone unless Hank wants a cheap 1-2yr deal. Rhuwedel I would resign and stuff him in Buffalo as the 6/7th guy. Unfortunately you are stuck with Weber next year but hopefully he can turn it around. Jamie McBain I have very little interest in but hell we need someone to play defense... but he gets a 1yr make it or break it deal. That means you need something like 4 forwards to fill in and you need 2 defenders. So you go out after guys like Ott and Orpik and see if you can get them on 4yr deals at decent cap hits. You let Risto, Armia, Larsson, Zadorov, and Sam Bennett stay in their respective leagues this year and you see if Enroth or Neuvirth can figure it out. At the end of the year you will be a bottom three team with your pick and the Islanders pick. Then in 2015 you bring up Risto, Zadorov, (Armia/Larsson if they can hack it), Bennett, maybe see if Compher will come out of school plus you have Baptiste and Possler just about there. Now you can start putting some of those peices in. Next year won't be a tank which is trading off all talent and saying ###### it but it will be some kids and some vets getting their ###### kicked both nights.

But do you (and you, 11, and others supporting this view) want the Sabres to sign Ott, Callahan and Stastny this summer? I do.

I want them to sign them all and any other UFA that would help us reach the ultimate goal. which is to win the cup.

I would gladly forgo a chance at McDavid, or any one else in the 2015 draft, if it meant we were building to a cup.

I just don't think signing the players you mentioned is very realistic.

Don't worry, you are still on team wet blanket.

So's your face. :P

To be clear.

This is a great example of an attitude that seems to be pretty common around here, the whole "I don't think they'll intentionally tank, but still will finish dead last" defense. It puzzles me a bit. It almost seems like the fans want to stand on some sort of moral high ground and say they're against tanking... all while holding out some hope that we land McDavid.

Team X vs. Team Y in signatures? Nevermind the fact that we just finally got rid of this crap with the stormcloud/kittens thing, but what are we, a bunch of teenage girls watching crappy vampire movies?

Oooh, can I be in Gryffindor?

Edited by Eleven

So's your face. :P

This is a great example of an attitude that seems to be pretty common around here, the whole "I don't think they'll intentionally tank, but still will finish dead last" defense. It puzzles me a bit. It almost seems like the fans want to stand on some sort of moral high ground and say they're against tanking... all while holding out some hope that we land McDavid.

It's not really moral high ground or anything, at least as not as far as I'm concerned. This team doesn't have to try to suck. And the players and coaches assuredly won't.

It's not really moral high ground or anything, at least as not as far as I'm concerned. This team doesn't have to try to suck. And the players and coaches assuredly won't.

Correct.

That's how I see it. The team will suck again this season. They do not need to tank. They didn't, IMO, tank last season. They just sucked and even though they tried their darndest most nights the talent wasn't enough to win, even when they had a few very talented players.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.