If you were the Islanders

bob_sauve28

I dunno. Tavares alone makes that unlikely. And they have some very good prospects who are getting close to being NHL-ready. Strome is already there. If ownership is ready to spend some money pre-Brooklyn, specifically to address their defensive and goaltending issues, they will certainly be far ahead of the Sabres. Still, it's Wang and Snow, so all bets are off.

I agree with all of this. Right up to the last period.

My guess is that the Isles finish just outside of a top five pick. Somewhere 6-9.

I'm not saying I don't want Eichel. I'd be completely satisfied if he's who we end up with next year. But he's still a notch below McDavid

If the Sabres end up with either one of them it will be fun to compare their careers. Malkin vs. Ovi Part II

Who knows maybe McDavid wins Four Cups compared to Eichel's Three.

I dunno. Tavares alone makes that unlikely. And they have some very good prospects who are getting close to being NHL-ready. Strome is already there. If ownership is ready to spend some money pre-Brooklyn, specifically to address their defensive and goaltending issues, they will certainly be far ahead of the Sabres. Still, it's Wang and Snow, so all bets are off.

This is the X-factor. A lot depends on if/when the team is sold. If it happens this summer, it's quite possible that a new owner will be willing to swallow additional losses and spend money to improve the team right away. However, for that to be the case, the sale would most likely have to close before the draft, so that trades and FA moves could be made under the new, more generous budget.

If the sale doesn't happen this summer, and Wang still owns the team going into next year, I think there's a high likelihood that they will really stink next year. He's not going to be interested in increasing his annual operating losses, which are already large and going to be much larger with diminished attendance in their last year on LI.

As an imprecise comparable, the Nets were 5th-worst in the NBA in their last year in NJ (only 2 more losses away from being 3rd-worst).

Sources: Islanders draw new suitors as Barroway continues efforts

Philadelphia attorney and hedge fund manager Andrew Barroway is no longer alone in his pursuit of the New York Islanders.

According to a financial industry source, Islanders owner Charles Wang has received interest in his team from at least two other potential buyers.

“The Islanders are a year away from moving to Brooklyn, and the lease there is good,” said the source. “Once Mr. Wang said publicly that he was listening to offers, it was inevitable that interest would pick up. The Islanders are now an attractive commodity.”

Barroway continues to line up partners to help finance a deal with Wang. Negotiations are ongoing.

Uhhhh... What? This conversation isn't about Reinhart... Nobody has said he's a generational talent.

Not you just you....but....

I'm thinking this generational talent label doesn't offer much insight as it is getting used on this board.

Are you using it like Hockey's Future?

So he's not Gretzky? he's 8.5 tenths of a Gretzky. There's just something weird about such quantifications.

I think he's got first line talent though.

Not you just you....but....

I'm thinking this generational talent label doesn't offer much insight as it is getting used on this board.

Are you using it like Hockey's Future?

So he's not Gretzky? he's 8.5 tenths of a Gretzky. There's just something weird about such quantifications.

I think he's got first line talent though.

I think it's a pretty simple term. I don't think that the literal definition of "generational talent" is legitimate since nobody has any control of how often truly great players come around, but there are generally 4/5 AT MOST throughout the course of decade or two. McDavid is one of them.

But I agree with your point to an extent. It's kind of like the word "elite." What does it actually mean? Each person has their own definition.

Edited by Tankalicious

Field trip?

http://www.aaftankmuseum.com/

Hahaha very nice.

I agree with all of this. Right up to the last period.

My guess is that the Isles finish just outside of a top five pick. Somewhere 6-9.

I'm just so glad I didn't have to read the famous 8 to 14 everyone and their grandmother use on this board. I bet they finish 7th last just to spite them all.

Edited by Derrico

Islanders will be worse next year than us. Count on it.

:thumbsup:

I disagree 100%. The Islanders will be at least 15 points better than the Sabres next year. They were 17 points better this year, they have excellent prospects in the pipeline, and they have John Tavares. In addition, they scored 68 more goals than the Sabres this year. What makes you so certain the Sabres will improve and the Isalnders will decline to make up for the 17 point deficit. I don't see it at all.

It doesn't make sense.

The Islanders will use the #5 pick this year for sure.

This alone will mean 15-20 points more for the Isles than the Sabres, should Barroway buy them:

“He loves hockey and came across as a very likeable, sincere guy,” said a source who was involved in the Devils discussions. “From what I can tell, he wants to be an owner and just hire the best president, general manager, and sales and marketing executives that he can find. He wants to sit in the owner’s suite, enjoy the hockey, and let everyone do their jobs.”

I disagree 100%. The Islanders will be at least 15 points better than the Sabres next year. They were 17 points better this year, they have excellent prospects in the pipeline, and they have John Tavares. In addition, they scored 68 more goals than the Sabres this year. What makes you so certain the Sabres will improve and the Isalnders will decline to make up for the 17 point deficit. I don't see it at all.

It doesn't make sense.

The Islanders will use the #5 pick this year for sure.

It's the Islanders. That's all the reason I need.

This is the X-factor. A lot depends on if/when the team is sold. If it happens this summer, it's quite possible that a new owner will be willing to swallow additional losses and spend money to improve the team right away. However, for that to be the case, the sale would most likely have to close before the draft, so that trades and FA moves could be made under the new, more generous budget.

If the sale doesn't happen this summer, and Wang still owns the team going into next year, I think there's a high likelihood that they will really stink next year. He's not going to be interested in increasing his annual operating losses, which are already large and going to be much larger with diminished attendance in their last year on LI.

As an imprecise comparable, the Nets were 5th-worst in the NBA in their last year in NJ (only 2 more losses away from being 3rd-worst).

Interesting.

No chance it will be a strong year at the gate, for nostalgic reasons?

Also curious to hear your take on whether the move to Brooklyn will help with that franchise's recruiting problems. Thinking more along the lines of quality of life issues. (Not that a current Isle couldn't easily live in the city.) Not sure what I'm asking — what's up with Brooklyn, yo?

Interesting.

Also curious to hear your take on whether the move to Brooklyn will help with that franchise's recruiting problems. Thinking more along the lines of quality of life issues. (Not that a current Isle couldn't easily live in the city.) Not sure what I'm asking — what's up with Brooklyn, yo?

Brooklyn has become very gentrified in the last 10 years. I think players would like it there. Besides a cab from Barclays to MSG is about $15 tip included.

Freeman has nailed this.

An ownership shift may change things, but with Wang in and Snow in charge, the Islanders have about as much of a chance of attracting top free agents as the Sabres do.

A team that's for sale usually isn't in the business of spending money.

A deferral sure will give us a great side plot to watch next year. I'm hoping to be able to gloat about a post I made shortly after Darcy was fired: that the last trade he ever made for us will be the one that turns around the franchise

Freeman has nailed this.

An ownership shift may change things, but with Wang in and Snow in charge, the Islanders have about as much of a chance of attracting top free agents as the Sabres do.

A team that's for sale usually isn't in the business of spending money.

A deferral sure will give us a great side plot to watch next year. I'm hoping to be able to gloat about a post I made shortly after Darcy was fired: that the last trade he ever made for us will be the one that turns around the franchise

Your second point is spot on. Perhaps Darcys golden moment and we'll have to wait and see but the return on Vanek and the return on Moulson could end up defining this team for years to come. We can hope.

Interesting.

Well, my hockey crystal ball needs a tuneup, but unless the Islanders have a Colorado-like start next season, I think it's going to be like the last season the Thrashers had in Atlanta or the Nets had in NJ -- ie the fall of Saigon.

I think Brooklyn in particular and NYC generally are definitely selling points, as is Tavares. However, Dudacek as always is correct that the Wang/Snow Mickey Mouse factor is very difficult to overcome.

Edited by nfreeman

Yesterday afternoon Paul Hamilton made the comment that he thinks the prospects at/around #5 aren't likely to be more than 3rd line NHL'ers. If his assessment is accurate than I will back off wanting the Isles to give us that pick this year. We have plenty of 3rd line prospects.

Yesterday afternoon Paul Hamilton made the comment that he thinks the prospects at/around #5 aren't likely to be more than 3rd line NHL'ers. If his assessment is accurate than I will back off wanting the Isles to give us that pick this year. We have plenty of 3rd line prospects.

So all of a sudden this became,the '99 draft? I think I like Paul Hamilton less and less every year.

So all of a sudden this became,the '99 draft? I think I like Paul Hamilton less and less every year.

Nfreeman listed the recent #5 overall picks a couple pages back.

2010 -- Nino Niederreiter

2009 -- Brayden Schenn

2008 -- Luke Schenn

2007 -- Karl Alzner

2006 -- Phil Kessel

2005 -- Carey Price

2004 -- Blake Wheeler

2003 -- Thomas Vanek

2002 -- Ryan Whitney

2001 -- Stanislav Chistov

2000 -- Raffi Torres

There are a few 3rd liners in there. And one bust. I would say that #5 ending up a 3rd line player isn't unusual or necessarily indicative of a lousy draft year. Once you get out of the top handful of picks most years players become coin flips to make the NHL.

A 3rd liner isn't what this team needs though.

Yea, I don't think Hamilton's assessment is even close to accurate.

I'll have to do some snooping around to see if any of the folks that put out prospect ratings agree with this.

Edited by weave

If Wang is set on selling the team this coming year, I don't see any reason for him to spend any money on FAs. It makes little financial sense for him to do this and the team would be more attractive to buy if it wasn't stuck with a bunch of long, multi-million dollar contracts. Any new owner would likely want a clean slate.

Plus, weren't the Islanders in a selling mode last deadline? They dumped Vanek and likely would've dumped JT if he wasn't injured. And I would be so certain the Islanders are going to be good with a bunch of prospects coming of age. It's going to take 1-2 years for these kids to be hitting on all cylinders.