What if Tim Murray.....

SabresBillsFan

I believe fully they have written off next season already and TM and staff are targeting 16 as the year to put it all together. Maybe picking up a vet Ufa or 2 this off season but I honestly look to the post15 draft and the subsequent 15 summer Ufa class to put the foundation in place

There will be enough youth and picks in the system after this draft that throwing away another season is not necessary. Its time to start using these prospects and additional picks to improve this team and do something Darcy would never do, move a couple of higher end prospects to get good players that can help now.

If I'm Murray, I would be putting in feelers with teams and use guys like Ehrhoff, or Grigorenko as part of deals to obtain some good players that may have fallen out of favour with their current clubs, or be looking for a better deal then their team might be willing to pay (Evander Kane? O'Reilly?). Add this to drafting a player 1 or 2 who should be NHL ready, with possibly someone else in the top 5 if the Islanders give up their pick, sign a better FA or 2 and this team is on the upswing next year.

I understand that's the route they may take I just don't agree with it. Going to be difficult to sit through another year like this and hoping we 're better in 3-4 years.

I know it sucks. Just my thoughts on the "blueprint", and I'd like to see that route taken to be honest. I've been "suffering" since 70, I'd like them to go all in on attempting a (dare I say it) a Dynasty build

There will be enough youth and picks in the system after this draft that throwing away another season is not necessary. Its time to start using these prospects and additional picks to improve this team and do something Darcy would never do, move a couple of higher end prospects to get good players that can help now.

If I'm Murray, I would be putting in feelers with teams and use guys like Ehrhoff, or Grigorenko as part of deals to obtain some good players that may have fallen out of favour with their current clubs, or be looking for a better deal then their team might be willing to pay (Evander Kane? O'Reilly?). Add this to drafting a player 1 or 2 who should be NHL ready, with possibly someone else in the top 5 if the Islanders give up their pick, sign a better FA or 2 and this team is on the upswing next year.

I can't see moving pieces on a major scale just to reach pick 8 thru 12 for the 15 draft. That seems counter-productive long-term to me in any event

Edited by HopefulFuture

I know it sucks. Just my thoughts on the "blueprint", and I'd like to see that route taken to be honest. I've been "suffering" since 70, I'd like them to go all in on attempting a (dare I say it) a Dynasty build

Hence your user name

Edited by nucci

I think you're right that these types of moves are under consideration and likely to happen, but this team was historically bad this year. Even an improvement or upswing still puts us in the bottom five and in solid contention for the top pick.

Why would the Sabres pursue Callahan? As a player at the point he is at in his career he makes zero sense for the Sabres. A 29 year old who is often injured that is looking to get paid.

I said it several times, just because Pegula has the money to pay any player in the league whatever they want doesn't mean it should be done. Any moves made have to make sense and can't just be bringing in names that fans can say "hey, I heard of that guy." Substance over flash.

I have quite a few reasons for wanting Callahan beyond having heard of him. This isn't like pushing to sign Gaborik (or for that matter, Vanek).

The Sabres haven't had a guy like Callahan since they lost Drury.

He's a difference-maker, especially in light of all of the young players that are going to be (hopefully) growing into major roles on this team in the next few years.

Watch TB in the playoffs and then tell me you don't want Callahan, even if the Sabres have to overpay to get him.

Good points for sure, but there are three reasons why they might (and IMO should) consider it:

1) they need to spend to get to the floor

2) they need some veteran leadership to show the kids the way and counteract a culture of losing

3) the fan base is as disillusioned as it's ever been; you have to give them a reason to buy tickets.

Right on.

Yeah, I think it is easy for fans to overlook what we already have in the system. We're already loaded with prospects at every position and are about to have upwards of 4 more 1st/2nd round picks including the #1 or #2 overall pick in this year's draft. Plus we'll have two 1st round picks next year.

At some point you have to start the upward climb and start instilling a winning culture. Personally, I think it is lazy GM work to intentionally try to be bad in order to make your job easier. A good GM gets above average returns on his transactions and doesn't need to rely on "tanking." I think Tim can sign a couple of free agent forwards who can make a world of difference for this team next year. And, if these prospects that we have now develop, the team will get better naturally as all of these young guys gain experience.

http://www.hockeysfu...buffalo_sabres/

I believe fully they have written off next season already and TM and staff are targeting 16 as the year to put it all together. Maybe picking up a vet Ufa or 2 this off season but I honestly look to the post15 draft and the subsequent 15 summer Ufa class to put the foundation in place

This has to be the plan and this is why I think Patty left Buffalo. I think the rest of the hockey organization wanted a couple year tank job and clean house and Patty wasn't on board with it . I'm guessing Pat looked at all those picks we already had and his goal was to keep players and maybe add a key free agent with some of the younger kids.

I can't see moving pieces on a major scale just to reach pick 8 thru 12 for the 15 draft. That seems counter-productive long-term to me in any event

You aren't just going to go from 1st overall pick to SC contender, they are going to have to get back to "fighting for the last playoff spot" and then build up to SC favorites. If they get teh Islanders pick this year, theres no reason to throw away another season just to hope you get a shot at McDavid (and if they end up finishing the season just missing out on the playoffs, theres still a shot they can win the lottery and get McDavid anyways.

If they get the Islanders pick, they could end up with 2 picks in the top 5 of this draft, which could give them a combination of any 2 of the top 4 guys in this draft.

Just getting back to fighting for a playoff spot would be a huge move for this team, and a great move for devloping the young players, don't underestimate what just being in a playoff race could do for the development of some of these players.

You aren't just going to go from 1st overall pick to SC contender, they are going to have to get back to "fighting for the last playoff spot" and then build up to SC favorites. If they get teh Islanders pick this year, theres no reason to throw away another season just to hope you get a shot at McDavid (and if they end up finishing the season just missing out on the playoffs, theres still a shot they can win the lottery and get McDavid anyways.

If they get the Islanders pick, they could end up with 2 picks in the top 5 of this draft, which could give them a combination of any 2 of the top 4 guys in this draft.

Just getting back to fighting for a playoff spot would be a huge move for this team, and a great move for devloping the young players, don't underestimate what just being in a playoff race could do for the development of some of these players.

I get what you're saying. Sure McDavid would be nice, but I think the rationale for the "rebuilding" next year isn't just him, it's another top-5 pick, whomever that may be. Then, you hopefully build around those 2-3 top 5s and the more recent top-15s. That's the right way to build a "core". The core idea isn't a bad one, the main problem with the previous core is they just weren't good enough players or leaders to put it together.

The Islanders won't give a top 4 pick away even in a weak class. The top 5 guys will probably be solid nhl players. The tank will end next year and then it's all systems go to fix this squad. Don't be surprised if Stewart or Stafford get moved at draft time or trade deadline next year. Murray wants his players and if you were listening when he got hired it's about building thru the draft and then adding a free agent or two to put you over the top.

I get what you're saying. Sure McDavid would be nice, but I think the rationale for the "rebuilding" next year isn't just him, it's another top-5 pick, whomever that may be. Then, you hopefully build around those 2-3 top 5s and the more recent top-15s. That's the right way to build a "core". The core idea isn't a bad one, the main problem with the previous core is they just weren't good enough players or leaders to put it together.

No one has a guarantee at McDavid but to be in the top two and have a shot at him or Eichel makes sense. Murray wants players who will work hard not floaters like Vanek.

The problem with the last "core" was the surrounding cast, they didn't get any additional help, When Darcy let Briere and Drury walk he basically pushed that core out there and told them to carry the team.

Who know what the islanders might do, If they give up their #1 this year the the Sabres have 2 top 5+/- picks this year to add to the prospects already in the system. This team is already young enough, and theres going to be plenty of prospects in this system after this draft.

The Islanders won't give a top 4 pick away even in a weak class. The top 5 guys will probably be solid nhl players. The tank will end next year and then it's all systems go to fix this squad. Don't be surprised if Stewart or Stafford get moved at draft time or trade deadline next year. Murray wants his players and if you were listening when he got hired it's about building thru the draft and then adding a free agent or two to put you over the top.

No one has a guarantee at McDavid but to be in the top two and have a shot at him or Eichel makes sense. Murray wants players who will work hard not floaters like Vanek.

who knows what the Islanders will do, I bet no one ever thought they would give up Moulson and picks for Vanek, and yet they did. This team is already stocked with prospects, if they get another top 5+/- pick in this years draft theres going to be plenty of guys to build from. Look no further then the Oilers as an example of a team thats trying to do what everyone here wants Murray and the Sabres to do, collecting high picks to build a core. How about the Panthers as another example?

I have little interest in "progress" in Buffalo next year. Most guys that will be playing, as far as I can tell right now, won't be part of the long-term plan. I'll hope for healthy and successful seasons from guys like Hodgson, Ennis and Girgensons. If Pysyk and Risto are up then I'll pull for them, too. Otherwise I'll just hope for failure and progress in the minors/Rochester.

The problem with the last "core" was the surrounding cast, they didn't get any additional help, When Darcy let Briere and Drury walk he basically pushed that core out there and told them to carry the team.

Who know what the islanders might do, If they give up their #1 this year the the Sabres have 2 top 5+/- picks this year to add to the prospects already in the system. This team is already young enough, and theres going to be plenty of prospects in this system after this draft.

who knows what the Islanders will do, I bet no one ever thought they would give up Moulson and picks for Vanek, and yet they did. This team is already stocked with prospects, if they get another top 5+/- pick in this years draft theres going to be plenty of guys to build from. Look no further then the Oilers as an example of a team thats trying to do what everyone here wants Murray and the Sabres to do, collecting high picks to build a core. How about the Panthers as another example?

Problem with Edmonton is they didn't draft hardly any defenseman and goalies. Buffalo is the exact opposite we have defense and numerous goalie and no offense. Plus Edmonton had no stability with constant changes and then you throw Nail into the talk because he's in the coaches doghouse.

I have little interest in "progress" in Buffalo next year. Most guys that will be playing, as far as I can tell right now, won't be part of the long-term plan. I'll hope for healthy and successful seasons from guys like Hodgson, Ennis and Girgensons. If Pysyk and Risto are up then I'll pull for them, too. Otherwise I'll just hope for failure and progress in the minors/Rochester.

I agree. People are not wanting another year of this are going to be in for a rude awakening. It's about building a Stanley cup contending team not a playoff team. That's what people don't get!

Yeah, I think it is easy for fans to overlook what we already have in the system. We're already loaded with prospects at every position and are about to have upwards of 4 more 1st/2nd round picks including the #1 or #2 overall pick in this year's draft. Plus we'll have two 1st round picks next year.

At some point you have to start the upward climb and start instilling a winning culture. Personally, I think it is lazy GM work to intentionally try to be bad in order to make your job easier. A good GM gets above average returns on his transactions and doesn't need to rely on "tanking." I think Tim can sign a couple of free agent forwards who can make a world of difference for this team next year. And, if these prospects that we have now develop, the team will get better naturally as all of these young guys gain experience.

http://www.hockeysfu...buffalo_sabres/

I strongly disagree with this. We're loaded on defense, and we have a nice collection of depth forwards, but we desperately need several top line forward prospects. Even counting Reinhart or Bennett, that still only gives us one guy I feel very confident will be a first line player (and I've decided I don't think the Isles will give us their pick this year if it's top-5). At the end of the day I really don't see one more year of awful hockey as a big deal. My timeline would look something like this:

2014-15: Tank

2015-16: Mediocre, but entertaining hockey instilling the fan base with hope

2016-17: Solid playoff team

2017-18: Legit contender

Nailed it.

and if that happens how could you call that progress? That also means our young players aren't developing and we would be that much farther from a winning team.

I don't call it progress. I don't care about progress. Leave the kids in Rochester/Jr's to develop. Hell, I hope every NHL ready prospect stays at the ROC next year and they make a run at the cup. The top pick is all that matters next year, anything else is a failure.

The top pick is all that matters next year, anything else is a failure.

I've been a tank supporter, but I don't agree with this at all.

I't's about getting enough good players to build and sustain a perennial contender by any means possible.

Right now we have prospects that are mostly thought of as 3rd line, maybe a couple are considered to be 2nd line players. This year's draft should get us a 1st line forward. Next year's draft should get us another with the tank.

If the talent in this years and next years draft were swapped, there would be no reason to tank next year. We'd have McDavid or Eichel and the rebuild is on in earnest. But since it is not it makes much more sense to tank one more year than pick in the 12-14 range next year and miss out on what is considered a very talented top 5-6 players next year. What we are really talking about is 20 wins total. The difference between tanking and the last playoff spot. IMHO it is a no brainer to lose 20 more games and have a chance at McDavid/Eichel or one of the other top 4 or 5 players next year.

Sign Callahan, Ott, and Moulson if at all possible. Resign Tallinder, Ennis, etc. Trade McBain and Ill survive one more tank year.

One of Ott, Moulson, or Callahan will be signed - possibly two. Even in tank mode they have to get some veteran leadership moving forward. Not to mention the cap floor. If they don't make any summer moves and keep Leino it would be taking tanking to an all time low.

One of Ott, Moulson, or Callahan will be signed - possibly two. Even in tank mode they have to get some veteran leadership moving forward. Not to mention the cap floor. If they don't make any summer moves and keep Leino it would be taking tanking to an all time low.

I'm beginning to think that Leino will be on the team next year. His salary makes it possible to get to the floor. I do not think Moulson, Ott nor Callahan will ever step foot on the Sabres ice wearing the blue and gold. The only way thay happens is to grossly over pay these guys and no one should consider that.

I strongly disagree with this. We're loaded on defense, and we have a nice collection of depth forwards, but we desperately need several top line forward prospects. Even counting Reinhart or Bennett, that still only gives us one guy I feel very confident will be a first line player (and I've decided I don't think the Isles will give us their pick this year if it's top-5).

In particular, I think people forget about JT Compher and especially Hudson Fasching who might have been USAs best player at the World Juniors. Joel Armia is still only 20 and may come around as he learns the North American game. With some time in Rochester Grigorenko may well develop into the player that he has the potential to be. William Carrier is another guy who might surprise.

...the point being these guys just need time and shouldn't be written off just yet.

I'm beginning to think that Leino will be on the team next year. His salary makes it possible to get to the floor. I do not think Moulson, Ott nor Callahan will ever step foot on the Sabres ice wearing the blue and gold. The only way thay happens is to grossly over pay these guys and no one should consider that.

Given how often he is a healthy scratch, I don't think there is even a question Ville will be gone next year. I do think there is a chance Ott resigns given he is close with Weber and could be Captain of the team again. I would love to see Moulson back, but I'm sure that is just wishful thinking. I agree that we'd need to overpay to get those guys, but there is plenty of cap room and Pegula likes to spend like a drunken sailor.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.