What if Tim Murray.....

SabresBillsFan

Would you be mad if Tim Murray decided not to bring in any major free agents this year and with their #1 pick this year let him stay in junior another season! This way it would almost guarantee us finishing again at the bottom. Me personally I'm on board with one more year of the tank netting McDavid or Eichel then all systems go to make sure Murray puts the best possible team on the ice. What are your thoughts?

Would I be mad?

Hell no. We need (at least) one more year of hardcore tanking to properly accomplish our goals.

Free agency: We should bring in enough mediocre free agents to fill roster holes, and maybe some support players to be a part of the tank-to-greatness transition. Theses players may or may not be part of the eventual greatness. Ott and Moulson fit here as veteran support-type players. If we pass on those guys to really, really tank hard next year, and wait to get UFAs next year or the year after, I'm not heartbroken.

Top pick: If our #1/2 overall needs a year in juniors to continue proper development, so be it- that's not an asset we can risk pooching.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Does it change if we get the Isles pick this year? Say we have the #1 and #4 picks?

No. Because, by most accounts, Sam Reinhart is the only player that will have a shot at being an impact NHL player immediately. So whoever we would get at four would still be down for a year, at least.

No, I'm never on board with a tank. I'm especially not on board with doing it for one player. I like to have more baskets for my eggs.

So... Yes?

Also: yawn with this "one player" crap. There are plenty of good players already in the system. It's not all for one player. Try a new argument that makes some sense.

So... Yes?

Also: yawn with this "one player" crap. There are plenty of good players already in the system. It's not all for one player. Try a new argument that makes some sense.

Cut out the snark. Where did I say we didn't have good players in the system?

I'm sorry you don't like my opinion. Actually, no I'm not.

No, I'm never on board with a tank. I'm especially not on board with doing it for one player. I like to have more baskets for my eggs.

For approximately the eleventy-billionth time, it's not all about one player. It's about being in a position to get several high-end forwards (even if they're not the highest end), and then proceed to build around that foundation.

For approximately the eleventy-billionth time, it's not all about one player. It's about being in a position to get several high-end forwards (even if they're not the highest end), and then proceed to build around that foundation.

Yes, it's exactly about tanking for one player. Read the first post. Nobody said we would tank for McDavid, the hypothetical did, hence my position in a previous post.

Yes, it's exactly about tanking for one player. Read the first post. Nobody said we would tank for McDavid, the hypothetical did, hence my position in a previous post.

The issue is that you could always say that you're doing it "for one player." Team results only reflect the selection of one first rounder. But it's also about positioning in other rounds, and just filling the team with the most talented players possible instead of just jamming a roster with mediocre veterans.

The strategy the team is currently going with has never been done in Buffalo sports history, if they continue with the tank through next season.

Edited by Tankalicious

The issue is that you could always say that you're doing it "for one player." Team results only reflect the selection of one first rounder. But it's also about positioning in other rounds, and just filling the team with the most talented players possible instead of just jamming a roster with mediocre veterans.

The strategy the team is currently going with has never been done in Buffalo sports history, if they continue with the tank through next season.

Perhaps, but I was answering the OP.

Sorry, I'm just not on board with tanking for a top 3 pick.

We have more than enough cap room, more than enough trade bait. There is no reason why we need to suffer through another season like this.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

We have more than enough cap room, more than enough trade bait. There is no reason why we need to suffer through another season like this.

Do you actually think any combination of free agents from this weak free agent class and trades will allow this team to become a long-term contender? Come on...

What?!?! This roster + Conner McDavid =/= Stanley cup? Blasphemy.

Do you actually think any combination of free agents from this weak free agent class and trades will allow this team to become a long-term contender? Come on...

We have 20+ first and second picks over a 5 year span and a surplus of D-men. It's called balance. Yes, you can have too many prospects.

So you'd love a heroic run to 8th with the likelihood of either missing the playoffs or a 1st round exit. We've see that movie before....over and over again. Same sad, miserable empty conclusion.

This is a new day and a new way. FNC is fully on board, but whether you accept it or not is up to you.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

So you'd love a heroic run to 8th with the likelihood of either missing the playoffs or a 1st round exit. We've see that movie before....over and over again. Same sad, miserable empty conclusion.

This is a new day and a new way. FNC is fully on board, but whether you accept it or not is up to you.

FNC is fully on board? Who said it would be a heroic run to 8th? We've seen this movie before....... with a tired core, underachievers and consistent mediocrity, all compromised of veterans. If we saw it again it certainly wouldn't be with any of that.

There are more people that don't want to see another 30th place finish than you think, whether you accept it or not is up to you.

Would you be mad if Tim Murray decided not to bring in any major free agents this year and with their #1 pick this year let him stay in junior another season! This way it would almost guarantee us finishing again at the bottom. Me personally I'm on board with one more year of the tank netting McDavid or Eichel then all systems go to make sure Murray puts the best possible team on the ice. What are your thoughts?

TWO players! :P

Obviously they're the pie in the sky, but it's not like if we miss out on them we're relegated to mediocre prospects.

FNC is fully on board? Who said it would be a heroic run to 8th? We've seen this movie before....... with a tired core, underachievers and consistent mediocrity, all compromised of veterans. If we saw it again it certainly wouldn't be with any of that.

There are more people that don't want to see another 30th place finish than you think, whether you accept it or not is up to you.

Those aren't the people who are making decisions about the direction of the team, so what they want or don't want is immaterial to the reality of what is actually going to happen. They and you can choose to accept it or not. There are 29 other teams to cheer for if they're that displeased.

I agree with this. If you think getting a couple of free agents and a top 2 pick is going to put you in contention for years to come u are sadly mistaken. A player like McDavid doesn't come around every year unless you are Detriot and somehow find these players in late rounds. You look at most top teams they were bad for a few years got high picks and built around those picks. I understand that people are probably going to have to endure another bad year or two but it will be so worth it in the long run. I said many years ago these meaningless runs late in the season killed positioning and this could have been done awhile back.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.