Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

All right, sounds good I'll make sure to try them all out. The one thing I noticed with the rentals is not enough arch support for me, my feet aren't very flat.

I live in La Mesa, CA just east of San Diego.

San Diego Ice Arena's pro shop looks like it offers a good selection of Bauer and Graf skates. Escondido Ice Plex might have a pro shop but I can't tell. Google says there's a Hockey Giant in Carlsbad but I think it's their corporate office. You could call Hockey Giant to find out or else drive up to the one in San Jose. They'd have the biggest selection anywhere near you.

San Diego Ice Arena's pro shop looks like it offers a good selection of Bauer and Graf skates. Escondido Ice Plex might have a pro shop but I can't tell. Google says there's a Hockey Giant in Carlsbad but I think it's their corporate office. You could call Hockey Giant to find out or else drive up to the one in San Jose. They'd have the biggest selection anywhere near you.

Thanks, I think the Escondido one has a pro shop, but I can't remember, I went there once several years ago.

Looks like Hockey Giant has a location in Anaheim (way closer than San Jose), but I'll probably check out San Diego Ice Arena first.

Thanks, I think the Escondido one has a pro shop, but I can't remember, I went there once several years ago.

Looks like Hockey Giant has a location in Anaheim (way closer than San Jose), but I'll probably check out San Diego Ice Arena first.

That works. Let us know how you make out. If you have questions feel free to PM me as well.

Ended up going to the San Diego Ice Arena and tried on some skates. I ended up going with the Bauer Vapor X60. My feet are pretty wide and they dont normally carry my size in EE width. I tried D and it felt too narrow and tried a size up in EE and it felt good just too much room at the toe. So they special ordered me a pair and it should be here in a week.

Ended up going to the San Diego Ice Arena and tried on some skates. I ended up going with the Bauer Vapor X60. My feet are pretty wide and they dont normally carry my size in EE width. I tried D and it felt too narrow and tried a size up in EE and it felt good just too much room at the toe. So they special ordered me a pair and it should be here in a week.

Nice. I wear a 10.5 EE in the Vapor. That wide width makes all the difference.

You'll like the X60. It's a good base level skate. It's got the trigger holders so you can replace blades quickly if they ever break, and the tongue has a lace bite guard that the level down doesn't. And they can be baked if you choose to do so.

Nice. I wear a 10.5 EE in the Vapor. That wide width makes all the difference.

You'll like the X60. It's a good base level skate. It's got the trigger holders so you can replace blades quickly if they ever break, and the tongue has a lace bite guard that the level down doesn't. And they can be baked if you choose to do so.

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone heard of any issues with the Bauer trigger holders? Seems like it's just waiting to get shattered by a blocked shot or errant pass. I like everything else about this years Bauer line, but that plastic trigger worries me. Reason I ask is I'm tearing eyelets like it's my job on my current skates, so new skates are probably on the horizon.

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone heard of any issues with the Bauer trigger holders? Seems like it's just waiting to get shattered by a blocked shot or errant pass. I like everything else about this years Bauer line, but that plastic trigger worries me. Reason I ask is I'm tearing eyelets like it's my job on my current skates, so new skates are probably on the horizon.

They're sweet! I broke the whole chassis on my right skate blocking a shot a while ago. Got the new tuuk lightspeed holders with the trigger and they are great. I think the likelihood of the trigger breaking is about the same as the holder itself cracking, in that case you're out $35 anyway.

They're sweet! I broke the whole chassis on my right skate blocking a shot a while ago. Got the new tuuk lightspeed holders with the trigger and they are great. I think the likelihood of the trigger breaking is about the same as the holder itself cracking, in that case you're out $35 anyway.

Appreciate the feedback.

We haven't had any come in except for one which was factory defective. The pros are using them with good results. I wouldn't worry about them.

The first class went pretty well, I did not realize how much squatting I'd be doing. I'm already sore from one day, haha. The instructor kept making sure we had our knees bent at all times.

He covered normal forward stride, forward swizzle and backward swizzle. Most of that I remember from rollerblading when I was younger. It was the first time I attempted to skate backwards in a long time and I managed to do it without falling.

The plow stop is a new one I learned and had a lot of trouble with. It felt like I didn't have enough strength to push my legs out to the sides hard enough, though I might have just been bending my knees inwards too far. I just need to keep practicing.

I get free public skate during the 7 weeks of lessons, so I'm going to try to get to the rink as often as I can.

• 1 month later...

Last night I played forward for the first time in a couple months.  I think playing the point the past 12 games or so really helped me see the passing lanes and space develop in offensive zone.  I felt like I was in the right place at the right time, and kept the cycle going all night.  In fact, I think that was the best my team has ever played in the offensive zone.  'twas a good time.

Edited by kvetch monstrovich

Last night I played forward for the first time in a couple months. I think playing the point the past 12 games or so really helped me see the passing lanes and space develop in offensive zone. I felt like I was in the right place at the right time, and kept the cycle going all night. In fact, I think that was the best my team has ever played in the offensive zone. 'twas a good time.

You're too good now, time to demand a trade.

Today was the last day of skating here. A little early, but what are you gonna do? I'll hit up some other rinks the next month or so, then do a few over the summer in Jamestown and Buffalo.

Year 2 didn't see quite the same dramatic change as Year 1. I know my stride improved — when I started the season, I had a definite weakness on my left side. I could tell by the sound of the toe push. I fixed it by doing quite a few laps striding with just my left skate.

The focus of my season turned into crossovers. I couldn't do them at all to start, and ended up pretty good at them, not only in the circle but turning up ice. Because of the counterclockwise skating pattern we follow, I have a definite weakness crossing over left to right. I noticed today when we reversed direction that even the best skaters couldn't cross over in that direction.

Skating backwards... meh. I didn't spend a lot of time on it. It's not fun and not a point of emphasis just yet. Hockey stops... nowhere, really. One foot snow plow I am solidly there. I just decided not to stress out about it. Too frustrating.

Hope everyone's skating and hockey seasons went well. Oh yeah, as for hockey I still have not taken the plunge. The time was never right to get into a class or league — and I didn't want to spend the money on equipment. I'll get there. And that's when I think my skating will hit the next level. Not sure that doing the public skates has much more to offer in terms of improvement.

It's probably been discussed, but what are some good places to take classes that don't cost an absurd amount in Buffalo?

When I skated at the North Buffalo Rink on Tacoma Ave, I saw a flyer for lessons and I don't think they were expensive. I do know that rink is absurdly cheap to skate at (two bucks ). It's a nice rink too. You'll like the murals. Edit: Tank did you mean skating classes or hockey classes?

http://www.bisonhockey.net/page/show/519699-public-skating

Edited by @fakegorbyportwinestain

When I skated at the North Buffalo Rink on Tacoma Ave, I saw a flyer for lessons and I don't think they were expensive. I do know that rink is absurdly cheap to skate at (two bucks ). It's a nice rink too. You'll like the murals. Edit: Tank did you mean skating classes or hockey classes?

http://www.bisonhockey.net/page/show/519699-public-skating

Skating classes. Thanks a lot. I'll look into it.

I had to join a new men's league at a new rink a little while back when my days off at work changed. I went from a league of almost entirely good natured, fun loving guys and girls(D League). To a league of 22 year old, thinks it's a big deal that they played Junior B, wannabe super stars. (B League).

I can play hockey with these kids, no problem. The games are hyper competitive, but I get to hit a little and get away with a little more, so that's cool.

The thing that blows my mind is that this league allows fighting. Are you kidding me? Actual fighting in a men's league and you don't get banned from the rink for eternity.

Who even wants to fight in a men's league, you've got to be a major tool bag to try and drop the gloves against another working stiff who's just out to play some puck on a Tuesday. (full disclosure, I did try to get Dennis Bonvie to drop the gloves once upon a time. But that's a different story.)

Has anyone ever played in a league like that? I'm not really sure I want to stay in this league after this session wraps up. I kinda make a living with the public seeing my face and it doesn't look too professional if it's dented.

Edited by ubkev

Any suggestions on what I should do? I've loved hockey since I was little and I'm 22 now, out of shape, and miss playing sports like I did prior to high school. I do have an ankle problem, it occasionally will just become extremely relaxed and I'll sorta roll my ankle for no reason, however I've always wanted to try hockey but always have been too afraid to go through with it. Any suggestions?

Any of you ever get to play a game against or with a former pro?

I've played against a lot of former pros, mostly AHL or Euro-league guys.  I've also played against Richie Dunn and Rob Ray a few times back in the mid-90's.  They are so strong with the puck that it just amazes you.  I also play regularly with guys my age that played at Miami, Yale, and Canadian University Hockey.  In their mid-50's and still terrific.

With the new skate technology, you shouldn't have a problem with your ankles.  New skates are amazingly (painfully?) stiff.

I had to join a new men's league at a new rink a little while back when my days off at work changed. I went from a league of almost entirely good natured, fun loving guys and girls(D League). To a league of 22 year old, thinks it's a big deal that they played Junior B, wannabe super stars. (B League).

I can play hockey with these kids, no problem. The games are hyper competitive, but I get to hit a little and get away with a little more, so that's cool.

The thing that blows my mind is that this league allows fighting. Are you kidding me? Actual fighting in a men's league and you don't get banned from the rink for eternity.

Who even wants to fight in a men's league, you've got to be a major tool bag to try and drop the gloves against another working stiff who's just out to play some puck on a Tuesday. (full disclosure, I did try to get Dennis Bonvie to drop the gloves once upon a time. But that's a different story.)

Has anyone ever played in a league like that? I'm not really sure I want to stay in this league after this session wraps up. I kinda make a living with the public seeing my face and it doesn't look too professional if it's dented.

Every league in Rochester is like that. Buncha dumb roofers and construction workers with chips on their shoulders. I tend to try to find myself skates that aren't leagues. Too many low talent d bags in leagues.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I've loved hockey since I was little and I'm 22 now, out of shape, and miss playing sports like I did prior to high school. I do have an ankle problem, it occasionally will just become extremely relaxed and I'll sorta roll my ankle for no reason, however I've always wanted to try hockey but always have been too afraid to go through with it. Any suggestions?

Any of you ever get to play a game against or with a former pro?

Only pro I've ever played with was Ray Maluta. I've played with a lot of D1 college players and I used to sub in net for pre-season team scrimmages with the RIT women's team which was always entertaining.

Your best bet is to find a local hockey shop and drop about $250 on a decent pair of skates. They'll make all the difference as you learn. Go to open skates until you have a decent feel for your edges, then buy some gear and either get into a beginner's league or just find skate and shoots and go to those. No one will care if you suck and you're young enough that you can handle being in over your head. The real development in your skating will come once you start playing puck.

Where are you located?

I've played against a lot of former pros, mostly AHL or Euro-league guys. I've also played against Richie Dunn and Rob Ray a few times back in the mid-90's. They are so strong with the puck that it just amazes you. I also play regularly with guys my age that played at Miami, Yale, and Canadian University Hockey. In their mid-50's and still terrific.

With the new skate technology, you shouldn't have a problem with your ankles. New skates are amazingly (painfully?) stiff.

Have you tried the new Tacks on? Stiffest boot I've ever laced up. But apparently they bake extremely well.

Every league in Rochester is like that. Buncha dumb roofers and construction workers with chips on their shoulders. I tend to try to find myself skates that aren't leagues. Too many low talent d bags in leagues.

Only pro I've ever played with was Ray Maluta. I've played with a lot of D1 college players and I used to sub in net for pre-season team scrimmages with the RIT women's team which was always entertaining.

Your best bet is to find a local hockey shop and drop about $250 on a decent pair of skates. They'll make all the difference as you learn. Go to open skates until you have a decent feel for your edges, then buy some gear and either get into a beginner's league or just find skate and shoots and go to those. No one will care if you suck and you're young enough that you can handle being in over your head. The real development in your skating will come once you start playing puck.

Where are you located?

Have you tried the new Tacks on? Stiffest boot I've ever laced up. But apparently they bake extremely well.

Southtowns 

wookie, go for it. You say you're out of shape. You'll want a good knee bend for longer strides, so start doing various squats to strengthen your quads. Take the stairs. Then take them two or even three at a time. Hockey's a big cardio workout, but learning to skate shouldn't wear you out. It's only a moderate cardio workout (unless you want more of course). Prep for it by taking some brisks walks or hikes.

Follow d4rk's advice about getting into a league early on, after you become a competent skater. Don't follow my idea that I wanted to become a very good skater before playing hockey. You're just going to hit that wall when all you do is skate around in a circle. Also, start saving your money. Equipment is pretty expensive. There's conflicting advice about buying used.

Finally, don't tie your laces too tight! I went through a "I like a tight boot" phase. No wonder my feet were cramping up. There probably wasn't any blood flowing to them. I also couldn't do crossovers until I loosened my laces, especially at the top. I know you have an ankle issue. Someone will have to help you figure that out in terms of the right skate/lace tightness.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.