Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

Personally I would choose Rochester Red Wings. Bonsignore is a good guy.

If there's one thing I've learned from dealing with parents of Rochester youth hockey players, it's that most of them are morons. So I would ignore the gossip and just put your kid wherever he'll be challenged and have the most fun. If he's not having fun then you know you have to try something else.

Yea.. we're definitely leaning heavily that way.  Plus, having practices at RIT won't suck. :)

Parents of most youth sports participants bother me.  As a coach I take a different tact to little Jimmy who I know is out there busting his ass but isn't an all-star.  Many other parents will see little Jimmy as the twit who keeps their child from achieving greatness.  I see Jimmy who cares and wants to do better and really does try.  Some kids aren't as athletic as others.  Of course travel is a slightly different beast but even then, the kids are there and they are passionate about things.  

Oh well.. another year another dollar... errr make that many dollars.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I played hockey last night for the first time in three months after breaking my foot (not hockey related, just dumb). All day long I was thinking about it and just really nervous. As soon as I started packing up my gear, I couldn't get to the rink fast enough. Man, I love hockey.

Here's a piece of advice to all you young hot shots out there. After you take a shot on goal, unless it's in the net, don't peel off. Keep attacking the net and go after the puck. This drives me crazy. Guys that do this leave so many scoring chances on the ice by taking themselves out of the play. Where do they learn this from, taking shots in warmups?

Did I mention I love hockey?

So, I played hockey last night for the first time in three months after breaking my foot (not hockey related, just dumb). All day long I was thinking about it and just really nervous. As soon as I started packing up my gear, I couldn't get to the rink fast enough. Man, I love hockey.

Here's a piece of advice to all you young hot shots out there. After you take a shot on goal, unless it's in the net, don't peel off. Keep attacking the net and go after the puck. This drives me crazy. Guys that do this leave so many scoring chances on the ice by taking themselves out of the play. Where do they learn this from, taking shots in warmups?

They assume it's going in and head for the bench for fist bumps?

In youth hockey they learn it because coaches allow it and because its easier to glide to a point than to stop and restart.  So, by gliding by they can circle back into a position without having to use all that energy to stop and start.  It's the wrong way to play hockey, but they do it.

We worked very hard to get the kids to crash the net on any shot.  The problem then became once they were there they didn't want to begin skating again.. (a coach's work is never done!)

At higher levels going to the net usually means you are going to get popped.  Some players don't like that.  Those players suck.

In youth hockey they learn it because coaches allow it and because its easier to glide to a point than to stop and restart.  So, by gliding by they can circle back into a position without having to use all that energy to stop and start.  It's the wrong way to play hockey, but they do it.

We worked very hard to get the kids to crash the net on any shot.  The problem then became once they were there they didn't want to begin skating again.. (a coach's work is never done!)

At higher levels going to the net usually means you are going to get popped.  Some players don't like that.  Those players suck.

:lol:

At higher levels going to the net usually means you are going to get popped. Some players don't like that. Those players suck.

That kid eats Puffed cheese doodles..... Pansy

Edited by ubkev

Anyone ever get water on the knee or an injury to the maniscus? I'm just getting over a shoulder/arm problem and the 

other night I woke up after a dream and my knee hurt. I see the Ortho tomorrow for an xray/drain. Doc thinks it's

wear and tear on the maniscus. Lots of hockey miles I guess.

Anyone ever get water on the knee or an injury to the maniscus? I'm just getting over a shoulder/arm problem and the 

other night I woke up after a dream and my knee hurt. I see the Ortho tomorrow for an xray/drain. Doc thinks it's

wear and tear on the maniscus. Lots of hockey miles I guess.

A few years back, a guy grabbed my shoulder and tackled me while I was about to fly past him for a breakaway. He caught me at an angle and I wound up twisting my knee pretty badly. It wound up as a sprained MCL and a meniscus tear. It was probably very minor. I had the knee scoped and maybe 90 days later I was back on the ice playing. That kind of ruined beer leagues for me, at least out in Boston. Guys took it way too seriously and I really wasn't interested in playing much anymore and risking surgery simply because some 50-something thinks he still has a shot at the NHL.

A few years back, a guy grabbed my shoulder and tackled me while I was about to fly past him for a breakaway. He caught me at an angle and I wound up twisting my knee pretty badly. It wound up as a sprained MCL and a meniscus tear. It was probably very minor. I had the knee scoped and maybe 90 days later I was back on the ice playing. That kind of ruined beer leagues for me, at least out in Boston. Guys took it way too seriously and I really wasn't interested in playing much anymore and risking surgery simply because some 50-something thinks he still has a shot at the NHL.

I've done my best to avoid that kind of hockey as well. I've got a bad knee from goaltending which is actually doing really well these days. I'm not interested in some half drunk 40-something who is probably on probation deciding I'm the guy he's gonna hurt that night. I just find groups to play with who rent ice and it's good enough for me. I get exercise and I don't have to worry about bad attitudes.

I live near Boston too. Yeah the guys are hyper competitive but this knee injury I think happened while I was in bed asleep. 

Being 55 ( I tell them I'm 43) it might be premature but I might not play for a long time if at all. 

I played tonight for the first time in two weeks.  I was listening to blues/rock in the car before the game and getting absurdly excited.  I love hockey.

Play of the game, I came flying in with speed, and split the two defenders.  I get in the slot, look at the goalie and leave the puck in the crease without shooting it.  Good times.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Skate naked, shorts bind.

Skating requires development of your inner and outter thigh muscles, concentrate on keeping your knes flexed and your chest over your thighs not your knees If you posture is correct you will feel it in your thighs. That's a good thing. ;)

Gorilla pose and then stride... tough at first but really helps with overall balance.

I played tonight for the first time in two weeks.  I was listening to blues/rock in the car before the game and getting absurdly excited.  I love hockey.

Play of the game, I came flying in with speed, and split the two defenders.  I get in the slot, look at the goalie and leave the puck in the crease without shooting it.  Good times.

Been there are lot until recently, been finally putting the puck in the net again.  Had a dry spell....  Feeling better less tense.

Edited by Fargenov Iceholeski

• 2 weeks later...

Today, some doosh slashed my goalie in the helmet pretty good, and I immediately started cross checking him. It felt like he was pulling on my head so I kept pushing him.

Then I realized that our helmets got stuck together face to face. It was pretty dreamy :wub:

I don't mean to sound creepy and this might be NyQuil talking but you're really funny qwk and I've always wanted to meet you.

The feeling's mutual. :) Too bad you're not funny.  I'm in a flirty thing/nothing with PA for the nonce, but who knows.  Anything can happen in Summertime.

With the weather heating up, I'm looking for young guys to help shave my back hair. I may get the East Resources logo this year. PM me!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.