Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

I think I made a post way back in the beginning of this thread about lacing skates if someone has time to dig it up.

And when you're getting fitted make sure the skates don't hurt. They might be uncomfortable in some spots but they should never be painful.

Southtowns

I'll have to dig around and see what I can find as far as beginner leagues that are close to you.

Every league in Rochester is like that. Buncha dumb roofers and construction workers with chips on their shoulders. I tend to try to find myself skates that aren't leagues. Too many low talent d bags in leagues.

Yup, bunch of dumbass coal miners and guys waaaay too old to live with their parents.

Any of you ever get to play a game against or with a former pro?

Yes. Even the goons and guys that barely sniffed the NHL are pretty incredible.

Do it Wook. I got a late start, and as long as you're not worried about being the worst player on the ice for the first year or so, you'll be fine.

This. And at 22 you won't be the worst player for long.

I played my first pick up game last Friday. I had a blast, I felt like the worst one there. I spun out and ate ###### a few times, but I made a few good plays here and there.

Nice!  :thumbsup:  My sister's boyfriend started learning last winter and joined our team this year.  I told him that if you're not falling over every other shift, you're not skating hard enough.

I have been following this thread as I am in a similar situation.  I am 32 and have been taking lessons for the past 8 months (I live in San Francisco).  Things were going well at first but when I changed from Hockey 1 to Hockey 2 the drills got a lot harder and my progress has basically stopped.  There are about 10 people in my class and I am still the worst one.  My instructor thinks the problem is my skates and has adjusted the blade twice.  He says I am pronating a lot.  Now he thinks there is too much room in the boot around my ankles.  I tie my skates pretty tight and have even let him tie them and there was no difference in stability.  I agree with him on the pronation, I am always in pain for the first half of the classes and then the pain goes away but for the rest of the class I can see my ankles being turned in and I am leaning heavily on my inside edges.  Do you guys have any suggestions for this problem?

I have been following this thread as I am in a similar situation. I am 32 and have been taking lessons for the past 8 months (I live in San Francisco). Things were going well at first but when I changed from Hockey 1 to Hockey 2 the drills got a lot harder and my progress has basically stopped. There are about 10 people in my class and I am still the worst one. My instructor thinks the problem is my skates and has adjusted the blade twice. He says I am pronating a lot. Now he thinks there is too much room in the boot around my ankles. I tie my skates pretty tight and have even let him tie them and there was no difference in stability. I agree with him on the pronation, I am always in pain for the first half of the classes and then the pain goes away but for the rest of the class I can see my ankles being turned in and I am leaning heavily on my inside edges. Do you guys have any suggestions for this problem?

The fit and level of skate you're using are most likely the issues. Can you tell me what skates (make and model) you're using? Did you buy them new or used?

And if it's not too personal, how big of a guy are you?

I have been following this thread as I am in a similar situation.  I am 32 and have been taking lessons for the past 8 months (I live in San Francisco).  Things were going well at first but when I changed from Hockey 1 to Hockey 2 the drills got a lot harder and my progress has basically stopped.  There are about 10 people in my class and I am still the worst one.  My instructor thinks the problem is my skates and has adjusted the blade twice.  He says I am pronating a lot.  Now he thinks there is too much room in the boot around my ankles.  I tie my skates pretty tight and have even let him tie them and there was no difference in stability.  I agree with him on the pronation, I am always in pain for the first half of the classes and then the pain goes away but for the rest of the class I can see my ankles being turned in and I am leaning heavily on my inside edges.  Do you guys have any suggestions for this problem?

Yep. Sounds (reads, whatever) like your skates are too big.

D4rk can talk you through the basics of getting sized properly but you will want to go to a pro shop and get a reasonably good pair fitted properly. You'll be amazed at the difference the right skates make.

The fit and level of skate you're using are most likely the issues. Can you tell me what skates (make and model) you're using? Did you buy them new or used?

And if it's not too personal, how big of a guy are you?

Any suggestions on what I should do? I've loved hockey since I was little and I'm 22 now, out of shape, and miss playing sports like I did prior to high school. I do have an ankle problem, it occasionally will just become extremely relaxed and I'll sorta roll my ankle for no reason, however I've always wanted to try hockey but always have been too afraid to go through with it. Any suggestions?

Any of you ever get to play a game against or with a former pro?

One summer league in the Burgh, we had Andy Ference and Joey Mullen on our squad and faced Alain Lemieux Rick Tocchet and Greg Malone. Played against Jack O'Callahan here in Chicago.

I think they are Bauer Supremes. I was actually in Buffalo when I bought them. I got them at Great Skate. I don't know much about skates but the guy at the store helped me size them. I have added insoles since but they did not seem to help much. I am 6'2", 205 lbs.

What level of Supremes are they? Something like 140-160-180 or 1000-2000-3000?

Except for that ridiculous techno trash that they listen to.

It's a joke.

No it is really horrible. Our sponsor is a euro night club with dubious ownership. The music really sucks but the girls dancing in the cage are very attractive.

No it is really horrible. Our sponsor is a euro night club with dubious ownership. The music really sucks but the girls dancing in the cage are very attractive.

I was in the dressing rooms after a Crunch game in 'Cuse last year and holy hell! The garbage coming from Syracuse's room was unbelievable! Not just sandstorm bad. Epic terribleness!

The dancing cage girls is more my style. More like exactly my type.

You must be good.

I was. I am just happy I am still competitive at 51. The thread title says it all skating and playing hockey. If you can master the former you can enjoy the latter that much more.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.