Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

Today, some doosh slashed my goalie in the helmet pretty good, and I immediately started cross checking him.  It felt like he was pulling on my head so I kept pushing him.

Then I realized that our helmets got stuck together face to face.  It was pretty dreamy  :wub:

I've seen that before.  That moment where the two players realize exactly what is going on is almost exactly like your post.  You instantly go from wanting to kill each other to being best friends.

haha, well, I played my first rec league game last night, and fortunately didn't get my helmet stuck to anyone's.

I had a blast, it was a pretty close game, some of my friends came out to watch me (one was a former employee of the ice rink and wanted to see his old buddies). I notched an assist late in the third period that tied the game 1 - 1, but shortly after my shift we gave up another goal (about 2 minutes left). I think my new team liked what I was doing out there as they threw me out as the 6th attacker when we pulled the goalie. We came close to tying the game up again, but the other team got the puck out of the zone and scored an empty netter with a few seconds left.

I'm excited for next week.

haha, well, I played my first rec league game last night, and fortunately didn't get my helmet stuck to anyone's.

I had a blast, it was a pretty close game, some of my friends came out to watch me (one was a former employee of the ice rink and wanted to see his old buddies). I notched an assist late in the third period that tied the game 1 - 1, but shortly after my shift we gave up another goal (about 2 minutes left). I think my new team liked what I was doing out there as they threw me out as the 6th attacker when we pulled the goalie. We came close to tying the game up again, but the other team got the puck out of the zone and scored an empty netter with a few seconds left.

:thumbsup:

Wow. Good for you Jack!

Awesome.

I wish I was more familiar with the Buffalo hockey scene. I'd love to be playing weekday nights here during the summer but I'm not familiar with the various leagues rinks run or what their sub policies are. Or really even which rinks run summer leagues. It took me six years just to figure Rochester's scene out.

I wish I was more familiar with the Buffalo hockey scene. I'd love to be playing weekday nights here during the summer but I'm not familiar with the various leagues rinks run or what their sub policies are. Or really even which rinks run summer leagues. It took me six years just to figure Rochester's scene out.

You're typing all of this out on a computer or phone right now, aren't you?  A quick google search taught me most of what I needed to know when I started playing in Boston around 10 years ago. ;)

You're typing all of this out on a computer or phone right now, aren't you? A quick google search taught me most of what I needed to know when I started playing in Boston around 10 years ago. ;)

Eh it's not so much finding hockey as having a feel for what leagues are good, what rinks are good, and where the good people are. I'm comfortable in Rochester. I know what to expect when I go somewhere. I'm going in blind here :unsure:

On a good note, new skates came in the mail today. Pure Hockey gave me a nice stack of gift cards when I left that job so I cashed 'em in for some clearance Vapor x70's. So happy to finally have a replacement for my well used Vapor 20's.

Come play with me! I play Sunday and Wednesday through http://anytimehockey.com/skater-game-finder/. Just not next week because I'll be out of town.

It felt soooo good to be on the ice again last night, after a couple of weeks off. We lost 6-1 in a division that is a little (a lot) over my ability. I ended up even, though, and scored the only goal :D . Not bad for the oldest guy on the ice. I may have the least skill on my team (I really do, and I'm fine with that), but I'm far from the worst hockey player.

Today is a good day.

My kid got Rollerblades for his birthday so I dusted off mine to go skate with him. I used to skate everyday. Paper route, street hockey, skate park, jumping stairs at the hospital down the street, you name it, I was good on blades. I put them on today for the first time since I could legally drive. I felt like a newborn deer learning to walk.

I don't remember the difference between the street and the ice being that extreme. Thank God I didn't fall....

• 4 weeks later...

Come play with me! I play Sunday and Wednesday through http://anytimehockey.com/skater-game-finder/. Just not next week because I'll be out of town.

Bummed that I couldn't get on to play goalie for Intermediate on Wednesdays but I booked myself for six weeks of lower level Tuesday nights at the Harbor Center. June 16th through the end of July for $30? That's a steal just to keep my legs in shape until fall. A little below my skill level but that's okay, it'll be fun. And I'm excited to see the Harbor Center.

Bill Gray's is a burger chain here in Rochester and they sponsor the Iceplex, hence Burgerplex.

The center ice circle needs to be shaped like a burger.  If they can turn a car dealer's face into a center ice circle in Boston, Rochester can turn one into a burger.

I'll be honest, skating is what gave me good ankle strength. My ankles were garbage before I started playing hockey. It's such a weird motion and way to use your ankles. Calf Raises are probably the only thing I can recommend besides just skating a lot. 

True, not much else you can do. 

Has anyone ever played at the Northtowns (pepsi) Center during the day? I plan on going tomorrow for open scrimmage at 12, just wanted to see how it is. 

Varies quite a bit. Sometimes some poor attendence but usually mostly beginners and a few old timers. 

SO anyone got a good exercise to strengthen ankles? Several year ago I bought skates (and returned them) since I couldn't walk around the house without my ankles flopping around. I don't recall what they were (it might even be *way* and I mean *way* upthread), but I'm guessing they weren't the most supportive boots. I'd like something I can work on before I try skating again.

buy pair of inline hockey skates and skate as much as possible, while it won't build ankle strength as quick as ice, it will help speed things along. Also it will help you know what your stride should feel like on crossovers bc it will provide a little more stability. 

Varies quite a bit. Sometimes some poor attendence but usually mostly beginners and a few old timers.

buy pair of inline hockey skates and skate as much as possible, while it won't build ankle strength as quick as ice, it will help speed things along. Also it will help you know what your stride should feel like on crossovers bc it will provide a little more stability.

Inline will build quad strength. That alone will help strengthen all the surrounding muscles.

The center ice circle needs to be shaped like a burger.  If they can turn a car dealer's face into a center ice circle in Boston, Rochester can turn one into a burger.

The Burgerplex can barely get visible lines in the ice.. this might be asking a bit much.

Balance trainers are great for ankle strength.

post-1429-0-23643400-1433346133_thumb.jpg

Balance trainers are great for ankle strength.

attachicon.gifBOSU-balance-copy.jpg

Those are great too, will build your ankles some but will really firm up all of your leg and core stability muscles. 

Inline will build quad strength. That alone will help strengthen all the surrounding muscles.

Yea but i've found inline hockey skates, at least Missions, to be a lower cut which helps the ankles, that plus your ankles get help from a wider base, wheels vs thin blade, lets you ease into building ankles instead of just suffering on the ice. 

The best advice I have is to go out and skate as much as possible, do open hockey and push yourself, work on your crossovers, C cuts going backwards, and making sure your weight is over your feet when striding.  

I have a few guys on one of my teams who despite years of playing never get better because they are too afriad to fall down, and they remain bad skaters. Test yourself, push your limits.  

Another thing I notice with beginners is that their skates are either too soft and buckle or they have them laced up or taped too tight too high so they have ski boots on,  you'll never build your ankles or learn the proper technique in either of those situations. you need to have some forward flex but also lateral support, squeeze the top of your skates together, if you can do it easily, get rid of them. 

Here's a link to what your strides should look like, notice the weight shifting and power stance...  

I'd be happy to answer any other questions anyone has

Edited by Patty16

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.