GDT: Buffalo at Edmonton 3-20-14 at 9:30 PM EDT

26CornerBlitz

If this kind of chemistry is what we can look forward to next year, I'm kind of looking forward to it.

(Yes, I know only one game and all that. But still, nice to imagine a light at the end of the long, dark tunnel.)

Chemistry is hhhhhuuuuuggggeee-ah. Seriously, the stuff that turns me on, in a manly way, is the signs of good chemistry. There were several unusual signs tonight, in my opinion, which give me "hope":

-Scott sending Conacher into the penalty box with his helmet (rather than Conacher's).

-Hackett smacking Ruhwedel's fanny, during the game, right after the play near the end where Chad dove to make the save (the fact that Hackett felt compelled to do that while the play hadn't yet exited the zone makes it unusual).

-Ennis and Stafford several times storming the net and looking like they knew what they were doing.

There were a few more I noted, which I forget now, but, again, I like that stuff and it's what a team in the Sabres' position needs right now.

Who isn't? :blink:

I've been very impressed with Stafford ever since Nolan came on board. There is no reason they shouldn't keep him around next year, almost like he's stepped up as a leader since the trade deadline.

I agree I have noticed that ever since Nolan came aboard that Stafford is playing an all around better game. He should know if he can keep playing like this he can be a factor!

Does anyone else ever have trouble viewing interviews on the Sabres site?

I can view the commercials and game highlights; however, that is it.

(Late reply reading the GDT the next day but I saw this got no replies.)

Try disabling any ad blockers you're running and try again.

-Scott sending Conacher into the penalty box with his helmet (rather than Conacher's).

Conacher actually went with no helmet because his strap was broken. Rules say he needs a helmet in the box (so that when he returns to the ice he's got one on). They couldn't fix it on the bench right away and there was a point where they looked up an down the bench before Scott produced his helmet. I simply saw that as Scott wasn't going to be out there during the PK so he was the player that could let Conacher borrow his helmet until Conacher's was fixed.

The thing about Scott is this: He has no ego whatsoever. He knows he really doesn't belong in the NHL, but he does provide some things to a team that can find a spot for him. He can play forward or defense as needed, he can be the tough guy, he will stand in front of the net during the PP if Foligno doesn't assert himself enough there... and when he does, Foligno isn't going to be jealous that Scott is taking his place because everyone knows Scott just fills in where he's asked to. Scott plays a simple game and is a very unselfish player. He provides levity in the locker room. He probably won't be with the team next year and that will make me sad, but he will either move on to the next team that needs him, or retire, knowing he had no right to be in the NHL to begin with, and happy for the run he got.

If the Sabres don't keep him on as a player and no one else picks him up, I wouldn't be surprised if they keep him on as Video Checking Coach and Jock Strap Hygiene Technician or some other similar title just to give him an excuse to bring that looseness to the team. You know you're going to have some uptight youngsters trying to prove themselves. The team will need John Scott to keep them from getting too tightly wrapped up in themselves.

One last thought: Everyone talks about the team being a collection of AHLers and waiver acquisitions. I think that's great really. Some of those waiver acquisitions are filling a similar role as Scott- knowing they're lucky to be playing anywhere, and giving their all for the team. Look at Konopka's fight yesterday for a good example. Look at D'Agustini's play in general- not the most skilled player, but no slouch, and he's usually gassed at the end of his shift. This kind of hustle, effort and selflessness is contagious and players that actually have skills are being shamed into higher levels of performance because of it, right up to Stafford. I think this is the brilliance of Ted Nolan and the cleverness of Tim Murray in a synergistic partnership to get the most out of a mediocre team. This is why, even if Nolan wasn't Murray's first choice coming in, I think the two work good together, at least for now.

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

Conacher actually went with no helmet because his strap was broken. Rules say he needs a helmet in the box (so that when he returns to the ice he's got one on). They couldn't fix it on the bench right away and there was a point where they looked up an down the bench before Scott produced his helmet. I simply saw that as Scott wasn't going to be out there during the PK so he was the player that could let Conacher borrow his helmet until Conacher's was fixed.

The thing about Scott is this: He has no ego whatsoever. He knows he really doesn't belong in the NHL, but he does provide some things to a team that can find a spot for him. He can play forward or defense as needed, he can be the tough guy, he will stand in front of the net during the PP if Foligno doesn't assert himself enough there... and when he does, Foligno isn't going to be jealous that Scott is taking his place because everyone knows Scott just fills in where he's asked to. Scott plays a simple game and is a very unselfish player. He provides levity in the locker room. He probably won't be with the team next year and that will make me sad, but he will either move on to the next team that needs him, or retire, knowing he had no right to be in the NHL to begin with, and happy for the run he got.

If the Sabres don't keep him on as a player and no one else picks him up, I wouldn't be surprised if they keep him on as Video Checking Coach and Jock Strap Hygiene Technician or some other similar title just to give him an excuse to bring that looseness to the team. You know you're going to have some uptight youngsters trying to prove themselves. The team will need John Scott to keep them from getting too tightly wrapped up in themselves.

I can agree with just about all of this.

Well said.

I agree with all of this, give Scott some non-player job. He may be unskilled but he truly does give his all and has a sense of humor; he's probably a real nice guy.

Chemistry is hhhhhuuuuuggggeee-ah. Seriously, the stuff that turns me on, in a manly way, is the signs of good chemistry. There were several unusual signs tonight, in my opinion, which give me "hope":

-Hackett smacking Ruhwedel's fanny, during the game, right after the play near the end where Chad dove to make the save (the fact that Hackett felt compelled to do that while the play hadn't yet exited the zone makes it unusual).

-Ennis and Stafford several times storming the net and looking like they knew what they were doing.

There were a few more I noted, which I forget now, but, again, I like that stuff and it's what a team in the Sabres' position needs right now.

You like the "fanny smacking?" :P

This team does have a fair amount of chemistry/character. Add some forwards to the top of the lineup and Pysyk & Risto on the back-end and they might not be awful next year (they key word being "might").

You like the "fanny smacking?" :P

This team does have a fair amount of chemistry/character. Add some forwards to the top of the lineup and Pysyk & Risto on the back-end and they might not be awful next year (they key word being "might").

They won't be a last place team next year, I guarantee it. Because there are guys on this team now who are emotionally invested in it. That is huge. I've given Drew a lot of crap over the years but he is easily the most impassioned guy on that roster right now. It's nice to see his heart-on-his-sleeve mindset front and center. We never got that from our "skill" guys.

I really hope we can get Otter and Matty Mo back here in the offseason. Birds of a feather. Ted Nolan guys.

They won't be a last place team next year, I guarantee it. Because there are guys on this team now who are emotionally invested in it. That is huge. I've given Drew a lot of crap over the years but he is easily the most impassioned guy on that roster right now. It's nice to see his heart-on-his-sleeve mindset front and center. We never got that from our "skill" guys.

Drew is built to play a physical game (6'2 210) whereas some of the "old core" were not. On that note, we certainly miss the goals that Pommer and Vanek brought... but I think it is easy to forget how utterly lacking in passion the Sabres were for several years with the "old core." We'd sleepwalk through games and get the same tired interview from "nice guy" Pommer after the game. At least this team has some fire. Now they just need more skill...

Drew is built to play a physical game (6'2 210) whereas some of the "old core" were not. On that note, we certainly miss the goals that Pommer and Vanek brought... but I think it is easy to forget how utterly lacking in passion the Sabres were for several years with the "old core." We'd sleepwalk through games and get the same tired interview from "nice guy" Pommer after the game. At least this team has some fire. Now they just need more skill...

It's nice to get player interviews now that don't try to downplay the highs or sugarcoat the lows. The old core was great at that. Nothing was ever interesting.

One last thought: Everyone talks about the team being a collection of AHLers and waiver acquisitions. I think that's great really. Some of those waiver acquisitions are filling a similar role as Scott- knowing they're lucky to be playing anywhere, and giving their all for the team. Look at Konopka's fight yesterday for a good example. Look at D'Agustini's play in general- not the most skilled player, but no slouch, and he's usually gassed at the end of his shift. This kind of hustle, effort and selflessness is contagious and players that actually have skills are being shamed into higher levels of performance because of it, right up to Stafford. I think this is the brilliance of Ted Nolan and the cleverness of Tim Murray in a synergistic partnership to get the most out of a mediocre team. This is why, even if Nolan wasn't Murray's first choice coming in, I think the two work good together, at least for now.

I remember last year Scott was video bombing a few live post game interviews on MSG. On one occasion Pysyk trying to keep a straight face during the interview and failing miserably.

At least this team has some fire. Now they just need more skill...

I think Buffalo fans can live with no skill, as long as there's passion in the team's play. Like the guy in the vein treatment commercial says, "The future is here now." The core of the team, the esprit de corps, was on display last night. There will be changes to the team, but the culture, the mindset, that we saw last night, is what the Sabres need to keep as they move forward. And as you drop a Konopka and replace him with a Grigorenko, if the replacement plays with the same passion but at a higher skill level, the team will just get better and better. If we land a McDavid or similar impact player, wonderful. If not, just keep building, building, building, but maintain that fire, and build the skill level as the youngins come into their own.

DEFEAT!

tank_babs_snow_9274.jpg

We're still in 1st place by 11 points with 12 games to go and one game in hand over Edmonton.

The upside is the Tank has had a hell of a stretch. Of Florida, Nashville, Carolina, Islanders, Calgary, and Edmonton, six of the seven other worst teamstanks in the league, we only were DEFEAT'd by one of them. We also played Chicago and Montreal and had VICTORY.

Edmonton was the last of the major battle of 2014.

As we move forward, we'll experience small pockets of resistance to our Tank, namely the Predators, Devils, and Islanders, but the Tank's advancement should be boosted by skirmishes away at St Louis, Detroit, Philly, NYR, and Boston.

DEFEAT!

tank_babs_snow_9274.jpg

We're still in 1st place by 11 points with 12 games to go and one game in hand over Edmonton.

The upside is the Tank has had a hell of a stretch. Of Florida, Nashville, Carolina, Islanders, Calgary, and Edmonton, six of the seven other worst teamstanks in the league, we only were DEFEAT'd by one of them. We also played Chicago and Montreal and had VICTORY.

Edmonton was the last of the major battle of 2014.

As we move forward, we'll experience small pockets of resistance to our Tank, namely the Predators, Devils, and Islanders, but the Tank's advancement should be boosted by skirmishes away at St Louis, Detroit, Philly, NYR, and Boston.

Ah yes, see you went with a "Summer time in Edmonton" Tank photo for this one............

Are you referring to lacking passion on the ice, or just the interviews? I could agree with the latter, not so much the former.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.