Shake up in the office PAT LaFONTAINE RESIGNS

Jeanbe

I can't see ANY coach signing up to a deliberate tank. Their job relies on success. They are the first to go. I do think that Ted is being used as a interim head coach to suffer through the rebuild and will be dropped in a New York minute for a gentleman in Binghampton. Pure, unadultered speculation on my part.

That's exactly what's wrong with interim coaches. There are inherent conflicts of interest. This includes things like player development, too.

Yeah.....so who leaked to the media about this and caused the entire sh!tstorm? As of 3AM....there was nothing in the media about this. So was Wawrow the one that took this public?

I don't think Mr. Wawrow is too fond of me because I would regularly point out the fact that under Larry Quinn and Golisano, the Sabres refused to talk to the local media, but the AP would always put out supportive fluff pieces. Even when Pegula was closing on the purchase of the Sabres, Wawrow wrote 2 paragraphs praising Larry Quinn and I believe suggested he would be an asset to Pegula. Now, it's obvious Bob McKenzie is the first line of fluff for the Sabres....and quite frankly, I don't blame Wawrow for wanting to seem relevant, but it's pretty funny he tried to do so by calling out an internet poster who makes $0 from anything involving hockey, has no direct sources, but yet he obviously followed closely and had a pretty flattering opinion of, be it backhanded or not. It's sort of like Michael Jordan dunking on a 5', 13 year old kid, then turning around to frame the pelvis and yell "BooYah!" in seriousness....

You've seen his HoF speech, right? I'm fairly confident Jordan would in fact do this :lol:

TN has done a reasonable job for sure but he is replaceable. Without sounding like TM I agree that you are in or you are out. If he hasn't made a decision by the end of the week I would be making the decision for him.

No reason to be that abrupt. Let him work through the rest of the season. If you can come to terms by then, great. If not, then it's time to look for a new coach between seasons. There's no reason to "make the decision for him" and kick him off the island this late into what's already a pointless season.

Who's turned on Nolan?

If he's too unprofessional to deal with a friend's seperation from the organization, then why would a Sabres fan want him to stay? If he's just frustrated and needs a couple of days to sort it out and signs the contract, then it's all good.

Not everyone sees this situation to be as melodramatic as you do.

This is exactly where I'm at.

Posted this in the other thread. For people who think Battista is just some TM gopher....he was sent to shadow with Lafontaine and was part of the evaluation and transition process. Mentioned at 2:55 on....

You've seen his HoF speech, right? I'm fairly confident Jordan would in fact do this :lol:

At least he'd probably share a cigar with me afterwards.....

I can't see ANY coach signing up to a deliberate tank. Their job relies on success. They are the first to go. I do think that Ted is being used as a interim head coach to suffer through the rebuild and will be dropped in a New York minute for a gentleman in Binghampton. Pure, unadultered speculation on my part.

There's no p. Sorry that really bugs me.

Did TM offer TN a contract extension as a result of this whole thing? I'm asking about timing, not whether or not he would have offered it to him.

Thats basically what i was saying earlier, that they give him this offer to keep him around for the tough times making him work with zero talent and kids, then will drop him for TMs guy once they get to the point where they are ready to compete. If TM brings in his guy know, this team will be facing another PR nightmare with fans furious that they would let go of nolan again after what he has done with the team. TM also will risk the fan base turning on his coach early if he doesn't turn this team around quickly (I'm talking about the hundreads of thousands of fans out there who also follow the team but not on the internet 'boards, not the ones here who support "the Tank").

Ted has shown enough with his job at the olympics and what he has done with the Sabres that he could get opportunities at another job in the league even if he leaves the Sabres right now unless theres issues about him that only NHL front offices know that scare them away, and if thats the case, it doesn't matter if he stays here or goes, he won't get another chance.

I can't see ANY coach signing up to a deliberate tank.

Two words: Ron Rolston.

Heck, even Nolan may have bought into the tank. He's made the team much more competitive game for game, but until the recent win streak, his W-L isn't that great either. He was brought in to build an attitutude and a work ethic, not a contender, at least not yet.

Edited by Doohickie

It is time for my two cents on this whole thing. To answer GODD, there is no scenario that makes the Sabres look good in all of this but that doesn't necessarily mean that they look bad, or responsible either.

Two weeks ago PLF was talking about this being his dream job, his destiny. Then he quits? There is nothing that could have happened during that time, short of him stumbling on something illegal or immoral that would justify him quitting on the team, the city and its fans.

Grow up! You accepted the job of leading this business through some difficult times and at the first sign of trouble you abandon ship? You couldn't have been naive enough to think that you wouldn't have to answer to anyone. Make a few billion dollars if you want total control. Till then live up to your responsibility, your commitment, your hype.

It is time for my two cents on this whole thing. To answer GODD, there is no scenario that makes the Sabres look good in all of this but that doesn't necessarily mean that they look bad, or responsible either.

Two weeks ago PLF was talking about this being his dream job, his destiny. Then he quits? There is nothing that could have happened during that time, short of him stumbling on something illegal or immoral that would justify him quitting on the team, the city and its fans.

Grow up! You accepted the job of leading this business through some difficult times and at the first sign of trouble you abandon ship? You couldn't have been naive enough to think that you wouldn't have to answer to anyone. Make a few billion dollars if you want total control. Till then live up to your responsibility, your commitment, your hype.

I responded to this in the Battista thread.

Lafontaine didn't bring this public. He was down with "the flu". He still hasn't said anything because I am assuming he is classy enough to let the Sabres play out the trade deadline without further distraction.

I think it is very sad how people are portraying Lafontaine in order to give the team an out. All these major players have a well played out public history except for Murray and Battista. I get the feeling Murray just wants to do his job. I think Lafontaine deserves the benefit of the doubt given his history and Ted Nolan's reactions. Yes, Lafontaine left once before....because a qualified hockey guy was fired against his will, and the reign of Wang/Snow was set up. Was he wrong?

But why doesn't he have the vision to not take the job in the first place? Is he a guy who has some vision, just not enough? That's what I'm left wondering about him at this point.

He was a huge part of both organizations prior. I'm sure many here would take a job with the Sabres and look past some red flags out of passion. If the same scenario is presented to you in Columbus and you have questions....maybe not.

Lafontaine didn't bring this public. He was down with "the flu". He still hasn't said anything because I am assuming he is classy enough to let the Sabres play out the trade deadline without further distraction.

Oooh - man. That is a good point.

I'm off to edit my post where I slammed on PLF for his timing.

I think it is very sad how people are portraying Lafontaine in order to give the team an out. All these major players have a well played out public history except for Murray and Battista. I get the feeling Murray just wants to do his job. I think Lafontaine deserves the benefit of the doubt given his history and Ted Nolan's reactions. Yes, Lafontaine left once before....because a qualified hockey guy was fired against his will, and the reign of Wang/Snow was set up. Was he wrong?

He was a huge part of both organizations prior. I'm sure many here would take a job with the Sabres and look past some red flags out of passion. If the same scenario is presented to you in Columbus and you have questions....maybe not.

1) Kind of the inverse of how your glorification of LaFontaine's character makes it functionally impossible for him to be at fault.

2) LaFontaine brought Nolan back from exile and they are great friends. Nolan probably thought they were in this for the long haul as a team. I think Nolan would have reacted the way he did whether Pegula, LaFontaine, Battista, or Satan was at fault. I think the reaction was merely due to not being able to work with LaFontaine for years to come, not because of the reason for it.

3) We all assumed he left Long Island because Wang is arguably the worst owner in sports. But now that it has happened again in short order, we have to at least entertain the possibility that LaFontaine isn't front office material. And that isn't a slight on him at all, just an acknowledgement of reality.

Well, I too think something must have happened. However, I don't think the "public histories" of the key players here cut one way or the other in terms of figuring out who is at fault. TP hasn't done anything wrong that I'm aware of other than waiting too long to fire Darcy -- which isn't consistent with a quick trigger on hypothetically firing PLF.

I like what I've seen from TN and PLF, but TN's public history with the Sabres and PLF's public history with the Islanders don't really make it impossible that PLF was in the wrong here.

Could Battista have been a snake-in-the-executive-grass to the point where PLF gave TP a "he goes or I go" ultimatum? Sure. Of course, that would mean that TB flatly lied in the presser yesterday when he said that there was no discord among management, which I would prefer not to believe of him. There is spin, which is part of the real world in every job, and there is flat-out lying, which is a sleazeball move no matter how you slice it.

Bottom line is that there are nowhere near enough clues to support any theory at this point.

1) Kind of the inverse of how your glorification of LaFontaine's character makes it functionally impossible for him to be at fault.

2) LaFontaine brought Nolan back from exile and they are great friends. Nolan probably thought they were in this for the long haul as a team. I think Nolan would have reacted the way he did whether Pegula, LaFontaine, Battista, or Satan was at fault. I think the reaction was merely due to not being able to work with LaFontaine for years to come, not because of the reason for it.

3) We all assumed he left Long Island because Wang is arguably the worst owner in sports. But now that it has happened again in short order, we have to at least entertain the possibility that LaFontaine isn't front office material. And that isn't a slight on him at all, just an acknowledgement of reality.

It's fine to entertain those thoughts. They should be. Millbank posted the story of the Islanders. Can you name a more dysfunctional hockey franchise since that happened? If you can....I bet I know who may be in contention!!!

Is it Lafontaine's fault he happened to have passionate ties to both franchise he played for and felt he could be of great help in righting the ship of a place he cared about? He didn't just leave the Detroit Red Wings.

GODD, we don't always agree but I have always respected your opinion. I find it insulting that I can't have a different opinion without being accused of sticking up for the front office. You asked for a scenario that makes the Sabres look good. Give me an example of something that could have come up in the last two weeks that justify a professional man of the presumed highest integrity to walk away from his comittment.

The above presupposes that PLF's resignation was a voluntary one. I don't think there's enough information available at this time to decide that. After the T.D. on Wednesday, I hope we learn more of the backstory. Hopefully all this churning drama won't negatively impact Mr. Murray's ability to get trade offers, or make trades.

GODD, we don't always agree but I have always respected your opinion. I find it insulting that I can't have a different opinion without being accused of sticking up for the front office. You asked for a scenario that makes the Sabres look good. Give me an example of something that could have come up in the last two weeks that justify a professional man of the presumed highest integrity to walk away from his comittment.

Sorry TW...I didn't mean to insult you. I'm talking about the kill shots coming out of GR and people saying Lafontaine has a history of concussions and is not rational, etc. Then the pile on seemed to start about him bailing now....

I am totally up for open discussion, like I told TruBlue....heck yeah, take everything into account. Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry TW...I didn't mean to insult you. I'm talking about the kill shots coming out of GR and people saying Lafontaine has a history of concussions and is not rational, etc. Then the pile on seemed to start about him bailing now....

I am totally up for open discussion, like I told TruBlue....heck yeah, take everything into account. Sorry for the confusion.

The concussion stuff is just plain stupid. But then again, read through this thread and it's obvious that people are clutching at just about any straw they can find. The one question I have off of your latest post is if LaFontaine is such a character guy that he will wait until after the deadline to say anything, why wouldn't he also wait to step down? The timing of this whole thing does nothing but make both sides look bad.

Why is the notion of PLF having issues such an anathema? Is it because it spoils the fun of blaming the people you'd rather blame?

It would certainly help to explain moments of poor judgment and reckless behavior.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.