Shake up in the office PAT LaFONTAINE RESIGNS

Jeanbe

Well, perhaps because what exactly is the evidence he is "having issues"? Is he raving? Has he acted disjointedly or irrationally? Or was it because he left the Islanders? I would daresay the Islanders and their owner had more issues (at that time) than PLF.

everyone (including me of course) needs to remember to take each others opinions with a grain of salt because of how little hard info there is.

regarding concussions...it is not at all crazy to bring that up. it is as plausible as anything else. if lafontaine cared what the fans think he could say something, but he evidently, doesn't.

Not sure if this was mentioned but WGR is discussing how PLF was different behind closed doors (very difficult to work with) and Ted Nolan was not really communicating with anyone other than PLF (this includes assistant coaches and the team).

The above presupposes that PLF's resignation was a voluntary one. I don't think there's enough information available at this time to decide that. After the T.D. on Wednesday, I hope we learn more of the backstory. Hopefully all this churning drama won't negatively impact Mr. Murray's ability to get trade offers, or make trades.

Of course PLF's resignation wasn't voluntary; he was fired and given the option to sign a resignation.

Could be many reasons for being fired, but TP is not in the habit of making reckless firings. Indeed, he tends to hang onto people too long.

Technically, Ted Black was telling the truth: there is no discord NOW, but I'll wager there was a TON of discord leading up to the decision by TP to fire PLF.

GO SABRES!!!

Of course PLF's resignation wasn't voluntary; he was fired and given the option to sign a resignation.

Could be many reasons for being fired, but TP is not in the habit of making reckless firings. Indeed, he tends to hang onto people too long.

Technically, Ted Black was telling the truth: there is no discord NOW, but I'll wager there was a TON of discord leading up to the decision by TP to fire PLF.

GO SABRES!!!

There is zero truth in that level of Clintonian BS. If that's what he meant, it's a lie.

As I mentioned upthread, my hope is that TB is not the kind of person who would look everyone in the face and lie like that.

Another thing to keep in mind: I find it very unlikely that Bettman would hire PLF back without consulting TP first. Ultimately Bettman works for the owners, he's not about to be party to this if it's going to look bad on an owner.

Good call. I also think that PLF's gig with the NHL will prevent him from issuing any kind of candid public statement -- i.e. there is no way he's going to throw the Sabres under the bus if he wants to continue working for the NHL.

So I think we'll be left with not knowing anything.

From what I am gathering, the issue appeared to be difference of opinion on how long and the depth of the rebuild. PLF and TN were here under the impression it would be a quick one to two year rebuild. Murray was hired, probably told that's what they think it will take, and he probably said he would need to dig deeper before he would know for sure but he would be open to whatever the best way to go would be. Murray apparently did his work and came back that it needed to be a 3 to 4 year rebuild, not a quick one and there was no way that would work. PLF disagrees and now there becomes a fundamental difference of opinion on how to go about it. The Sabres back Murray, the guy PLF hired, PLF says this isn't what I signed up for and resigns/throws a hissy fit and gets fired. Nolan also was here expecting it was going to be quick, but now with a 3 year extension offered, basically is going to be here to do all the heavy work and lifting and then potentially replaced by Murray's handpicked coach once they get back to a level where they are competing for division titles and or championships. So now Nolan is in the position to take a job where he is going to do all the hard work but potentially not be in position to reap the rewards of that work which is probably what PLF is telling him and why he is hemming and hawing now about it...

Edited by matter2003

Good call. I also think that PLF's gig with the NHL will prevent him from issuing any kind of candid public statement -- i.e. there is no way he's going to throw the Sabres under the bus if he wants to continue working for the NHL.

So I think we'll be left with not knowing anything.

...or the NHL.

There is zero truth in that level of Clintonian BS. If that's what he meant, it's a lie.

As I mentioned upthread, my hope is that TB is not the kind of person who would look everyone in the face and lie like that.

Don't you mean Rovian?

From what I am gathering, the issue appeared to be difference of opinion on how long and the depth of the rebuild. PLF and TN were here under the impression it would be a quick one to two year rebuild. Murray was hired, probably told that's what they think it will take, and he probably said he would need to dig deeper before he would know for sure but he would be open to whatever the best way to go would be. Murray apparently did his work and came back that it needed to be a 3 to 4 year rebuild, not a quick one and there was no way that would work. PLF disagrees and now there becomes a fundamental difference of opinion on how to go about it. The Sabres back Murray, the guy PLF hired, PLF says this isn't what I signed up for and resigns/throws a hissy fit and gets fired. Nolan also was here expecting it was going to be quick, but now with a 3 year extension offered, basically is going to be here to do all the heavy work and lifting and then potentially replaced by Murray's handpicked coach once they get back to a level where they are competing for division titles and or championships. So now Nolan is in the position to take a job where he is going to do all the hard work but potentially not be in position to reap the rewards of that work which is probably what PLF is telling him and why he is hemming and hawing now about it...

This is no more factual than any other speculation out there. If you're getting this from WGR, Parker doesn't have anyone "on the inside" who knows any more about this than we do, or, at least, who will give him the facts. This is obviously high level, well above the players and coaches, and none of those people are going to give Parker or any goofball at WGR more than a "hello" and the company line.

I think if the PLF episode didn't happen, Nolan would probably be ecstatic to have a 3 year NHL contract. We do know that the contract offer has been on the table for a little bit (Murray is quoted as saying "we're working on it" nearly two weeks ago, and subsequent comments allude to the offer having been made [well] before the Miller trade). I submit this indicates whatever the issue was, was present long before the Miller trade and Nolan, perhaps, was waiting to see how it played out.

Edited by sizzlemeister

At the latest, there's something to talk about at 8pm.

Ba-boom-ching.

c.h.i.n.k. is censored? What are we, 14 years old in the 1970s?

Edited by sizzlemeister

This is no more factual than any other speculation out there. If you're getting this from WGR, Parker doesn't have anyone "on the inside" who knows any more about this than we do, or, at least, who will give him the facts. This is obviously high level, well above the players and coaches, and none of those people are going to give Parker or any goofball at WGR more than a "hello" and the company line.

I think if the PLF episode didn't happen, Nolan would probably be ecstatic to have a 3 year NHL contract. We do know that the contract offer has been on the table for a little bit (Murray is quoted as saying "we're working on it" nearly two weeks ago, and subsequent comments allude to the offer having been made [well] before the Miller trade). I submit this indicates whatever the issue was, was present long before the Miller trade and Nolan, perhaps, was waiting to see how it played out.

Which is exactly why I think this might be pretty credible...it was well before the trade and a complete difference of opinion that would be hard to work through especially if both parties are dug in. One is trade a few pieces and quickly rebuild through the draft, the other is have a tire fire sale and start over from scratch. Also explains why Nolan is rethinking things...it isn't what he was told he was signing up for.

Also explains why Nolan is rethinking things...it isn't what he was told he was signing up for.

What does that matter? The longer the rebuild takes, the more job security. That doesn't make sense.

I DON'T think Nolan is pondering whether or not he wants to coach the Sabres, I DO think Nolan is pondering whether he wants to coach in the NHL.

What does that matter? The longer the rebuild takes, the more job security. That doesn't make sense.

I DON'T think Nolan is pondering whether or not he wants to coach the Sabres, I DO think Nolan is pondering whether he wants to coach in the NHL.

I disagree. Tell that to Ron Rolston that he would have job security with a roster full of teenagers. Coaches are the first thing that get fired. No way Ted Nolan has job security in a long rebuild. It just never works out that way. There is an adage I've seen in the NFL that says never draft a number one QB because you are drafting your successors QB. I think this holds true in a long rebuild too.

Edited by wjag

I disagree. Tell that to Ron Rolston that he would have job security with a roster full of teenagers. Coaches are the first thing that get fired. No way Ted Nolan has job security in a long rebuild. It just never works out that way. There is an adage I've seen in the NFL that says never draft a number one QB because you are drafting your successors QB. I think this holds true in a long rebuild to.

What does Rolston have over Nolan that makes this comparison worthwhile?

What does Rolston have over Nolan that makes this comparison worthwhile?

I don't know other than he was a head coach; told to play a bunch of teenagers and lost his job in the regime change. All I am saying is it is NEVER in a coach's interest to not win games. It looks bad on the resume and eventually leads to the unemployment line. Sports is a business and it is based on competing. Not being competitive, leads to unhappy fans, a drop in ticket sales and a relentless pounding in the media. The easiest appeasement a team can make is to swap out the coach.

It can't be lost on Nolan that he is replacing a guy that was sacrificed to the rebuild.

Edited by wjag

Glad you caught my sarcasm. Ted Black lied his ass off.

GO SABRES!!!

I don't know other than he was a head coach; told to play a bunch of teenagers and lost his job in the regime change. All I am saying is it is NEVER in a coach's interest to not win games. It looks bad on the resume and eventually leads to the unemployment line. Sports is a business and it is based on competing. Not being competitive, leads to unhappy fans, a drop in ticket sales and a relentless pounding in the media. The easiest appeasement a team can make is to swap out the coach.

It can't be lost on Nolan that he is replacing a guy that was sacrificed to the rebuild.

Who said anything about not being competitive? The rebuild relies on getting the right players together on the same roster. That alone will take years.

I see your point, but I'd bet PLF had absolutely no issue with Tim Murray. Not even a little, regardless of the perceived length of time the rebuild would take.

If Nolan needs to get PLF's reasoning to keep the job or not then I'm sorry, as much as I love Teddy, he's not the man you're looking for.

GO SABRES!!!

If this were true it would make PLF look even worse in my eyes as it isn't something that couldn't have allowed him to stay on till the end of the season.

I'm going with he went and negotiated a three year deal with TN and even arranged a press conference last week Tuesday. When word got out, the brakes were put on and he eventually quit in a tantrum.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.