OFFICIAL: Ryan Miller, Steve Ott to St. Louis for Chris Stewart, Halak, Carrier and two picks

Hoss

So what you're saying is the National Endowment for the Arts is nothing but a liberal government ploy to use public money and identify and sharpen the talents of future commodities who serve at the pleasure of a favored, controlling few?

Oh Virginia.....

You referring to my potential future teaching job?

No, I meant the privately owned company I work at now, that frowns upon any time off and used to pay me $5 an hour for a rather long time and only offered me partial benefits after 2+ years of salaried work, which I can't afford anyways. There's a lot of things wrong with the place, but I have no good alt. options. Apparently there's an actual sophomoric burn book type list floating around the tight knit friend group in the office about other employees. Kinda toxic up in here.

Go back to discussing hockey everyone, I was trying to lighten the mood and made a snark I probably shouldn't have because I'm extremely frustrated with things. My apologies. I'll wait to bitch in the thread tomorrow.

You referring to my potential future teaching job?

No, I meant the privately owned company I work at now, that frowns upon any time off and used to pay me $5 an hour for a rather long time and only offered me partial benefits after 2+ years of salaried work, which I can't afford anyways. There's a lot of things wrong with the place, but I have no good alt. options. Apparently there's an actual sophomoric burn book type list floating around the tight knit friend group in the office about other employees. Kinda toxic up in here.

Go back to discussing hockey everyone, I was trying to lighten the mood and made a snark I probably shouldn't have because I'm extremely frustrated with things. My apologies. I'll wait to bitch in the thread tomorrow.

I was just throwing Molotov Cocktails in a thread full of them........please don't take it seriously....

Check the awesome thread.....d4rk has a 20 minute foot massage for you planned.....

I was just throwing Molotov Cocktails in a thread full of them........please don't take it seriously....

Check the awesome thread.....d4rk has a 20 minute foot massage for you planned.....

haha sorry. I can never be sure on days like today! I'm all jumpy anyways.

And oh god, that poor b.astard. I'd rather have something else massaged...

like my neck.

So two requests for relevant stats go ignored, but we can get a looped video of a former coach beating a full time ahler over the head with a stick set to the Super Mario Brothers 2 theme.

Swamp. You are my hero. And not just a little, all the way :-D

Ok Ghost, What I get is

Playoffs: 53g .915

Last 10: 90g .913

Impossible. Those don't drop off at all!

Can we all agree that, throughout his entire career, Miller has been a good to very good goaltender who can sometimes play lights out and, on occasion, gives up soft goals at what seem like the worst possible time?

For what it's worth, the conversation around Bflo's defense v the Blue's defense has merit. From what I saw watching the Blues after the trade, Bflo's d-zone posture is more aggressive with more attacking the puck and trying to eliminate passing lanes and allowing Miller to face the shooter.

As said upthread, the Blues emphasized shot blocking which, in a sense, required Miller to lean toward the open player. After years of coming out and challenging shooters, he had to stay back so he'd have a better chance of moving laterally to get square after the pass.

Regardless of whether it's Call of Duty or the NHL, if you are most comfortable in being aggressive in your style of play, dialing it back feels like you're not as engaged and are much more reactionary than you'd like to be. And that, in my humblest of opinions, is why he struggled down the stretch.

Can I say I'm down with this?

I'm not proud of it, but save percentage is still the best statistical marker we have to evaluate goalies, right?

The best stat is the one that makes Miller look best. If he's not doing well in any particular stat, well that stat isn't important in evaluating goalies. Of course, once he starts doing better at that stat, it will suddenly be very important again. ;)

Edited by Jsixspd

The best stat is the one that makes Miller look best. If he's not doing well in any particular stat, well that stat isn't important in evaluating goalies. Of course, once he starts doing better at that stat, it will suddenly be very important again. ;)

Actually, he does extremely well in the wins statistic, and that stat sucks ass for evaluating goalies. So your statement is really only true for those who don't understand statistics, be that natural or willful.

That's a tricky one especially because it's so dependent on the number of games played in the season.

But if you only consider goalies who played 40 games or more in 2013-14 that leaves 29.

Miller ranks 17th of 29 which puts him in the bottom half.

So we won't use that one because he doesn't come off as elite. ;)

Let me add another qualifier - if NONE of Miller's stats are good, then all the stats are garbage. In that event, we all have to sit back in awe and appreciate the zen, the awesome gestalt, that which cannot be codified or measured, which is Ryan Miller.

That's a tricky one especially because it's so dependent on the number of games played in the season.

But if you only consider goalies who played 40 games or more in 2013-14 that leaves 29.

Miller ranks 17th of 29 which puts him in the bottom half.

So we won't use that one because he doesn't come off as elite. ;)

Let me add another qualifier - if NONE of Miller's stats are good, then all the stats are garbage. In that event, we all have to sit back in awe and appreciate the zen, the awesome gestalt, that which cannot be codified or measured, which is Ryan Miller.

Since the lockout (the firstish one) Miller and Lundqvist are the only goalies with 7 consecutive 30-win season. He's elite at the wins statistic, and it still sucks for evaluating goaltenders. Case in point: this Sabres season.

A nice discussion about Miller's failings, his market value, his goal-tending style, where he might end up, the Blues choices, and the merit of this trade in the overall picture, and the value coming back was an interesting one to me.

Too bad that's a discussion we can't have here. :(

Preach it.

Heard on the radio this morning that neither Anaheim nor San Jose will pursue Miller.

They were citing Pierre Lebrun as the source.

They were speculating Vancouver as a logical landing point.

I think Vancouver is at the end of its run as a contender.

I think Vancouver is at the end of its run as a contender.

They've looked Sabres-esque since their defeat at the hands of the Bruins. The same kind of floundering and clinging to fading talent that Regier was guilty of.

They should have burned it down a lot sooner. Traded the Sedins while they still had value as a pair. They could have started a rebuild years ago but were content to milk every last ounce out of the Sedin era.

They've looked Sabres-esque since their defeat at the hands of the Bruins. The same kind of floundering and clinging to fading talent that Regier was guilty of.

They should have burned it down a lot sooner. Traded the Sedins while they still had value as a pair. They could have started a rebuild years ago but were content to milk every last ounce out of the Sedin era.

I don't think they made too many mistakes (other than trading Schneider). They had every reason to continue to "go for it" after 2011. But now, I think it's over. The Sedins are old. Bieksa is getting up there, too. They have a lack of goaltending (pun intended).

I don't think they made too many mistakes (other than trading Schneider). They had every reason to continue to "go for it" after 2011. But now, I think it's over. The Sedins are old. Bieksa is getting up there, too. They have a lack of goaltending (pun intended).

All it takes is one mistake though and the one you mentioned is massive.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.