OFFICIAL: Ryan Miller, Steve Ott to St. Louis for Chris Stewart, Halak, Carrier and two picks

Hoss

I don't think they made too many mistakes (other than trading Schneider). They had every reason to continue to "go for it" after 2011. But now, I think it's over. The Sedins are old. Bieksa is getting up there, too. They have a lack of goaltending (pun intended).

All it takes is one mistake though and the one you mentioned is massive.

I agree trading Schneider was foolish but maybe it was the first shot across the bow for a rebuild. The got Markstrom from Flo and they have Bo Horvat and Hunter Shinkaruk in the system. They need Right Wings desperately and they could use some better defensive prospects. The Sedins could definitely help them get those things if they were willing to make that deal and actually rebuild. They are in transition without clear direction IMPO.

Pierre LeBrun on Miller's Future:

And finally, where will Ryan Miller land? The decision by the St. Louis Blues to not try to re-sign him after a first-round playoff exit was probably a mutual decision anyway. It means Miller is headed to the July 1 unrestricted free agency market for the first time in his career, which was pretty much always the plan. He’s been linked for almost a year to the Anaheim Ducks, perhaps because Miller’s wife, Noureen DeWulf, is an actress, so the fit would certainly work from that perspective. But a source told ESPN.com Wednesday that the Ducks have decided to stick with the kids in net, John Gibson and Frederik Andersen, and do not plan on courting Miller. You can also rule out fellow California club San Jose. The word out of there is that the Sharks are going to continue to focus on their mini-rebuild and it’s about youth for them. Adding veteran players is not in the cards in San Jose.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

The only teams likely to offer Miller what he wants are Washington, NY Islanders, Minnesota (they'd need to buy out Backstrom) or maybe Calgary. I think he ends up in DC.

I don't think the Islanders will offer him a big contract unless the team is sold between now and July 1, which is possible but unlikely.

I don't think the Islanders will offer him a big contract unless the team is sold between now and July 1, which is possible but unlikely.

Good point. I forgot about the ownership issues on the Island. But wouldn't Miller be perfect for Brooklyn, the emo hipster center of the universe? :rolleyes:

Good point. I forgot about the ownership issues on the Island. But wouldn't Miller be perfect for Brooklyn, the emo hipster center of the universe? :rolleyes:

As a Brooklynite and a Miller fan, I will answer this with an emphatic yes.

Not gonna happen though -- as Liger points out, the Islanders have signed Halak.

One word for anyone else suggesting Tampa Bay and Miller: Bishop.

Trading Bishop is not out of the question. Tampa could sign Miller than move Bishop to fill another need. For example, to Buffalo for Ehrhoff.

The club has given away all its leverage with those two. Even if they can move them, they might not get much of a return because they won't be separated.

Just throwing out a crazy scenario. The Sedin twins to Pittsburgh for Malkin and a #1.

Trading Bishop is not out of the question. Tampa could sign Miller than move Bishop to fill another need. For example, to Buffalo for Ehrhoff.

Why? You're talking about Yzerman and that doesn't make a lot of sense for a young team to trade for an aging GT when you already have a good young GT.

Just throwing out a crazy scenario. The Sedin twins to Pittsburgh for Malkin and a #1.

That would be heaven for Canuck fans, but a terrible move for Pittsburgh - a young first-line centre for two declining players on bad contracts?

Why? You're talking about Yzerman and that doesn't make a lot of sense for a young team to trade for an aging GT when you already have a good young GT.

Yzerman earned his stripes in Detroit where they won Cups with veteran goaltenders like Vernon, Hasek and Osgood (2 cups, at age of 25 and 36).

One word for anyone else suggesting Tampa Bay and Miller: Bishop.

DeLuca -- I'm going to pretend I never saw this post. Both of these ideas are from outer space.

Yzerman earned his stripes in Detroit where they won Cups with veteran goaltenders like Vernon, Hasek and Osgood (2 cups, at age of 25 and 36).

Yea but Yzerman doesn't strike me as an idiot. Trading for a declining Miller when you already have Bishop makes no sense. If anything they should be looking to sign 1-2 young-ish defenders. Go hard for Niskanen would be a much better idea than trading Bishop and signing Miller.

Yea but Yzerman doesn't strike me as an idiot. Trading for a declining Miller when you already have Bishop makes no sense. If anything they should be looking to sign 1-2 young-ish defenders. Go hard for Niskanen would be a much better idea than trading Bishop and signing Miller.

Why would they have to trade for Miller? He will be a UFA. They sign Miller and flip Bishop. It's makes a playoff team even better.

DeLuca -- I'm going to pretend I never saw this post. Both of these ideas are from outer space.

The Pittsburgh idea is out there.

Miller to Tampa makes more sense than people want to give credit for. They have the best pure goal scorer in the NHL and a team that won 46 games last year. It is a team ready to take that next step.

Why would they have to trade for Miller? He will be a UFA. They sign Miller and flip Bishop. It's makes a playoff team even better.

The Pittsburgh idea is out there.

Miller to Tampa makes more sense than people want to give credit for. They have the best pure goal scorer in the NHL and a team that won 46 games last year. It is a team ready to take that next step.

Miller to Tampa makes absolutely no sense at all. They have Ben Bishop who got injured before the playoffs and was talked about for the Vezina, why trade that? He has another year on his contract at cheap money. There are 20 reasons against flipping Bishop and singing Miller. Tampa needed better playoff goaltending and better defense this year. On top of that Steve Stamkos wasn't at 100%. Next year with Bishop and Stamkos going they will have 2 of the three and will probably advance past the first round easily.

There is no reason to think that Ryan Miller will play for Tampa next season. I will bet money he doesn't.

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.