OFFICIAL: Ryan Miller, Steve Ott to St. Louis for Chris Stewart, Halak, Carrier and two picks

Hoss

Why would they have to trade for Miller? He will be a UFA. They sign Miller and flip Bishop. It's makes a playoff team even better.

The Pittsburgh idea is out there.

Miller to Tampa makes more sense than people want to give credit for. They have the best pure goal scorer in the NHL and a team that won 46 games last year. It is a team ready to take that next step.

I agree that Tampa is a good young team on the rise, but I think they view Bishop as a big (and cheap for the time being) part of their plan.

Miller to Tampa makes absolutely no sense at all. They have Ben Bishop who got injured before the playoffs and was talked about for the Vezina, why trade that? He has another year on his contract at cheap money. There are 20 reasons against flipping Bishop and singing Miller. Tampa needed better playoff goaltending and better defense this year. On top of that Steve Stamkos wasn't at 100%. Next year with Bishop and Stamkos going they will have 2 of the three and will probably advance past the first round easily.

There is no reason to think that Ryan Miller will play for Tampa next season. I will bet money he doesn't.

I agree that Tampa is a good young team on the rise, but I think they view Bishop as a big (and cheap for the time being) part of their plan.

I wouldn't underestimate the allure of adding that veteran goalie. There was a gap between Tampa and the very elite of the Conference, Boston and Pittsburgh. The elite fell in this years playoffs. The Lightning have to be thinking they are closer than originally thought.

Bishop had a great year, it was one year. The Lightning would have to bet that the light turned on for Bishop at age 27 and that it wasn't just a career year unlikely to be duplicated. It's a tough call.

Edited by deluca67

I wouldn't underestimate the allure of adding that veteran goalie. There was a gap between Tampa and the very elite of the Conference, Boston and Pittsburgh. The elite fell in this years playoffs. The Lightning have to be thinking they are closer than originally thought.

Bishop had a great year, it was one year. The Lightning would have to bet that the light turned on for Bishop at age 27 and that it wasn't just a career year unlikely to be duplicated. It's a tough call.

I agree that the Miller to TB idea isn't as ridiculous as some might think. Though I don't think the trade of Bishop could net Ehrhoff (because I don't really think, with Enroth and Neuvirth, they have room) some team with something Tampa wants would bite. If Miller's price is too high, they could try Hiller as well. Edited by Arcsabresfan41

Miller might be ageing, but he could easily have another 3/4 years being an average goaltender. Plus they have that Latvian goalie in their system, who is ranked as their second best prospect behind Drouin I believe. Sign Miller, trade Bishop whilst his value is high and get a nice return to solidify the team. Combined with Stamkos returning and you have one nice team.

After the playoff exit and the fact Tampa could be in a nice position to be a contender in a year or two, maybe you get a 4 year 20-24 million contract out for Miller. There is the risk Bishop had a career year, or at the very least, will regress next year. It is a bold and risky move, but he who dares...

Trading Bishop is not out of the question. Tampa could sign Miller than move Bishop to fill another need. For example, to Buffalo for Ehrhoff.

Just throwing out a crazy scenario. The Sedin twins to Pittsburgh for Malkin and a #1.

With the cap in Pitt and 3 no movement clauses it's unlikely, but a fun idea to contemplate.

I am just going to ask again because it seems not to be common knowledge, Does everyone know that Ben Bishop did not play for the Tampa Bay Lightning in the 2014 NHL playoffs because he was injured?

Yes. My comment about playoff exit was referring to Millers. I don't doubt Bishop had a good season and TB would have had a better post-season with him. I just think it is an interesting and daring idea. It flies in the face of playing it safe and isn't as risky as 'win-now' because they have the Latvian a few years away

Yes. My comment about playoff exit was referring to Millers. I don't doubt Bishop had a good season and TB would have had a better post-season with him. I just think it is an interesting and daring idea. It flies in the face of playing it safe and isn't as risky as 'win-now' because they have the Latvian a few years away

TB's problem wasn't goaltending. That's the only reason they did as well as they did this year. It's defense. Hedman is the closest thing they have to a stud defender and many feel he hasn't lived up to his billing. Matt Carle is vastly overpaid for what he provides. Eric Brewer is solid, but is 35 years old, and is turning into more of a pylon than a defensive force. Radko Gudas was the only newcomer on the blue line this season to have an impact, but he had his ups and downs and was a liability some nights (playing too physical taking himself out of the play). The rest of their defensive corps was made up of Sami Salo (39 years old), Mark Barberio, Mike Kostka, Andrej Sustr, Jean-Philippe Cote, Keith Aulie, and Dimitry Korobov.

TB will be players in free agency (they have money available), but will look for help on the blueline, not in net, as they only have 4 defensemen signed for 2014-2015 (plus Ohlund on LTIR).

Edited by ChileanSeaBass

Yzerman earned his stripes in Detroit where they won Cups with veteran goaltenders like Vernon, Hasek and Osgood (2 cups, at age of 25 and 36).

True, but he wasn't callin the shots in Detroit. His actions as a GM, trading St.Louid and letting Lecav. go indicate he wants to go younger and build around Stamkos, not plug in gaps with veteran free agents in hopes of getting one solid run in.

Still think the Caps and Canucks should matchup on an Ovechkin for Sedin twins deal.

I don't see this as crazy like some are going to. If you have teams looking to shake things up, this is a pretty good scenario.

True, but he wasn't callin the shots in Detroit. His actions as a GM, trading St.Louid and letting Lecav. go indicate he wants to go younger and build around Stamkos, not plug in gaps with veteran free agents in hopes of getting one solid run in.

The Lightning were a 100 point team last season without Stamkos for 45 games. I don't think there is that much building left to be done down in Tampa.

I don't see this as crazy like some are going to. If you have teams looking to shake things up, this is a pretty good scenario.

I think the only reason trades like that never happen is because both sides will claim they need more added in the deal.

TB's problem wasn't goaltending. That's the only reason they did as well as they did this year. It's defense. Hedman is the closest thing they have to a stud defender and many feel he hasn't lived up to his billing. Matt Carle is vastly overpaid for what he provides. Eric Brewer is solid, but is 35 years old, and is turning into more of a pylon than a defensive force. Radko Gudas was the only newcomer on the blue line this season to have an impact, but he had his ups and downs and was a liability some nights (playing too physical taking himself out of the play). The rest of their defensive corps was made up of Sami Salo (39 years old), Mark Barberio, Mike Kostka, Andrej Sustr, Jean-Philippe Cote, Keith Aulie, and Dimitry Korobov.

TB will be players in free agency (they have money available), but will look for help on the blueline, not in net, as they only have 4 defensemen signed for 2014-2015 (plus Ohlund on LTIR).

Exactly. FA will be weak for the next decade. You get good players through trades. Which means you need to give something to get something. I would swap Bishop for Miller if it meant getting a number 2 D man. And you have the Latvian guy up here in 3-4 years anyway

Carl Sagan would be proud.

If you would like to form an opinion about hockey from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

:lol:

Join us next week on the Cosmos.

The Lightning were a 100 point team last season without Stamkos for 45 games. I don't think there is that much building left to be done down in Tampa.

If Benning is an evil genius, he should buy out one of the twins. Then suddenly he can trade the other and restructure.

somehow i quoted the wrong part, deluca. But I can't fix it on the road now.

Edited by X. Benedict

Building from scratch and building around a player aren't the same. You can build from crack like the Sabres, or you can ice a good team for years while bringing in complementary players in building around one/a few core players, i.e. Crosby and the Pens, Toews and Kane and the Blackhawks Edited by WildCard

Building from scratch and building around a player aren't the same. You can build from crack like the Sabres, or you can ice a good team for years while bringing in complementary players in building around one/a few core players, i.e. Crosby and the Pens, Toews and Kane and the Blackhawks

I dunno both the Pens and Hawks were pretty awful for a while. I wouldn't say they iced a good team whilst bringing in complementary players.

One of the issues with the Sabres prospects is that, whilst deep, it still very much lacks star power. We don't have that one guy. Arguably that's a good thing. Disappointingly, this should be the year to get that guy. However, this weak draft appears to mean he won't be here either. Maybe Myers can be that guy eventually. Risto, Zad, Myers or Grigo are the only players who could be that star guy in our system atm (imo)

I dunno both the Pens and Hawks were pretty awful for a while. I wouldn't say they iced a good team whilst bringing in complementary players.

One of the issues with the Sabres prospects is that, whilst deep, it still very much lacks star power. We don't have that one guy. Arguably that's a good thing. Disappointingly, this should be the year to get that guy. However, this weak draft appears to mean he won't be here either. Maybe Myers can be that guy eventually. Risto, Zad, Myers or Grigo are the only players who could be that star guy in our system atm (imo)

This is not a weak draft. This just isn't a deep draft. Those are different things.

I look at this draft as having a lot of good players bunched tightly together, but no stars — 30 guys who would typically go between 5 and 25. I don't see as many intriguing players as normal as we drop into the second and third.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.