OFFICIAL: Ryan Miller, Steve Ott to St. Louis for Chris Stewart, Halak, Carrier and two picks

Hoss

Not sure if it is everywhere...but in my marked (Austin, TX) there is currently a free Center-Ice preview right now. I buy it anyways, but during the Sharks game on Friday night, the "you are watching a "free preview" message was streaming across the bottom of the screen all night....so, if you want to see Miller and Ott tonight, you should be able to see them. They normally do the free preview about the first two weeks of the season, and then after the all-star break...or in this case, after the Olympic break!

Edited by buftex

Not sure if it is everywhere...but in my marked (Austin, TX) there is currently a free Center-Ice preview right now. I buy it anyways, but during the Sharks game on Friday night, the "you are watching a "free preview" message was streaming across the bottom of the screen all night....so, if you want to see Miller and Ott tonight, you should be able to see them. They normally do the free preview about the first two weeks of the season, and then after the all-star break...or in this case, after the Olympic break!

Great tip! Yeah, DISH has the Center Ice Preview thru Tuesday night. Dish Channels 891 and 892 for the St. Louis/Phoenix game!

891 is the homer channel with the St Louis broadcast - AND in HD!!!! Sweet! Thanks for the tip - may still end up ordering the bargain rate for the rest of the year - I'd hate to be able to watch any game I want. :)

Blues 'all-in' with arrivals of Miller, Ott

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- The blue-and-gold color scheme is the same. Everything else couldn't be more different for Ryan Miller and Steve Ott.

Traded from the Buffalo Sabres to the St. Louis Blues on Friday, Miller and Ott join a team built to win now. The trade moves the Blues to "all-in" mode with a top-shelf goalie and a big-time agitator added to the mix in hopes of getting the oldest existing NHL team never to win a Stanley Cup over that Gateway Arch-sized hump.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Just turned on the Blues broadcast and it is already very surreal. The opening scene was of Ott & Miller walking through the Phoenix airport yesterday after taking a 5 1/2 flight from Toronto. Just weird watching these 2 guys on another team's broadcast.

They couldn't get them on a direct flight???

I flew from Phoenix to Filthadelphia and then to Buffalo in less time then that, the first flight was less then 3 hours IIRC with the second one about an hour.

Originally I thought it was a good deal, expecially if they re-sign Halak, but now thats its becoming apparent that they intend to flip him to the Wild for more Lotto tickets and potential, and Stewart was brought over to be flipped in whats probably a favour to Uncle Brian for other Lotto Tickets and Potential I think its even worse. It sounds like they have no intention of making this team any better in the immediate future, and that we haven't even hit rock bottom yet with how bad this team can be on the ice. Theres no way decent FAs are even going to look at Buffalo unless they are only in it for a pay day, and they might as well deal away Myers and Ehrhoff because this team won't be competitive before their deals are up and will probably demand trades out of here soon enough along with any other vet they have on the roster.

I flew from Phoenix to Filthadelphia and then to Buffalo in less time then that, the first flight was less then 3 hours IIRC with the second one about an hour.

Originally I thought it was a good deal, expecially if they re-sign Halak, but now thats its becoming apparent that they intend to flip him to the Wild for more Lotto tickets and potential, and Stewart was brought over to be flipped in whats probably a favour to Uncle Brian for other Lotto Tickets and Potential I think its even worse. It sounds like they have no intention of making this team any better in the immediate future, and that we haven't even hit rock bottom yet with how bad this team can be on the ice. Theres no way decent FAs are even going to look at Buffalo unless they are only in it for a pay day, and they might as well deal away Myers and Ehrhoff because this team won't be competitive before their deals are up and will probably demand trades out of here soon enough along with any other vet they have on the roster.

I find this is just a tad bit of an overreaction. I believe that you are right that this team has not hit rock bottom as far as NHL talent goes but I find that to be perfect timing with what is being discussed as an incredible draft next season. Plus we have young guys already in the pipeline developing so it's not as if we don't have a young talent base forming, they are just doing it away from this tire fire of an NHL team (which I'm fine with). Give us a strong draft this year and next and we will start to see our patience pay off in three years time with plenty of term left on Myers and 'Hoffs contract. I would rather we start turning this thing around soon as well but give us one more year and we will be fine.

I find this is just a tad bit of an overreaction. I believe that you are right that this team has not hit rock bottom as far as NHL talent goes but I find that to be perfect timing with what is being discussed as an incredible draft next season. Plus we have young guys already in the pipeline developing so it's not as if we don't have a young talent base forming, they are just doing it away from this tire fire of an NHL team (which I'm fine with). Give us a strong draft this year and next and we will start to see our patience pay off in three years time with plenty of term left on Myers and 'Hoffs contract. I would rather we start turning this thing around soon as well but give us one more year and we will be fine.

Do you think Ehrhoff is going to want to stick around here for a few more tire fire seasons? It will be a few years before anyone they are obtaining now even reach the NHL, let alone their potential and this team reaches a level where they are viewed as a serious cup contender. Ehrhoff had to be begged by TP to come here in the first place with the promise this team was going to be a cup contender real soon.

The stuff in bold is the reason I don't think the trade is a mess. I don't want to build around Stewart or Halak and, yes, we do still need more young assets.

I also don't think Tim Murray is going to trade Chris Stewart (or anyone) to Ottawa as a "favour to Uncle Brian." This is a man trying to make a name for himself in his first GM role. If he made any type of shady trade with his former team, he'd be radioactive for the rest of his career. If he makes any trade with Ottawa, he'd probably want to be extra tough on them to prove a point.

Do you think Ehrhoff is going to want to stick around here for a few more tire fire seasons? It will be a few years before anyone they are obtaining now even reach the NHL, let alone their potential and this team reaches a level where they are viewed as a serious cup contender. Ehrhoff had to be begged by TP to come here in the first place with the promise this team was going to be a cup contender real soon.

That's a different point, my comment was regarding them not being competitve before their deals are up. I guess I'm just more optimistic in the timeframe when this thing gets turned around. If Hoff wants out then I hope Murray knows this before anything is publically stated and he goes ahead and pulls off a deal. With the depth we have at D in our system I really don't give a ###### whether they trade him or not, I just want the return to be reasonable.

This was posted this in another thread, but I'd like to get it in here. From TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444922

The conditional third-round pick in 2016 would become a first-round pick in the 2014 NHL Draft if Miller re-signs with the Blues or St. Louis makes it to the 2014 Western Conference Final. However, should that pick become a first-rounder, the Blues would then acquire the Minnesota Wild's second-round pick (which Buffalo acquired as part of the return forJason Pominville) as well as the Sabres' own 2014 third-rounder. If the Blues don't reach the Western Conference Final but sign Miller after the 2014 NHL Draft has taken place, then Buffalo would receive a 2016 second-round pick.

Reading that ###### in prose is a little tricky, so let's break it down:

If St Louis makes it to the Conference Final OR Ryan Miller signs with St Louis before the 2014 draft:

BUF gets: STL 1st round pick in 2014

STL gets: BUF 2nd round pick (from MIN) and BUF 3rd round pick

If St Louis doesn't make the Conference Final AND Ryan Miller signs after the 2014 draft:

BUF gets: STL 2nd round pick in 2016

If St Louis doesn't make the Conference FInal AND Ryan Miller doesn't sign with St Louis:

BUF gets: STL 3rd round pick in 2016

This was posted this in another thread, but I'd like to get it in here. From TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444922

Reading that ###### in prose is a little tricky, so let's break it down:

If St Louis makes it to the Conference Final OR Ryan Miller signs with St Louis before the 2014 draft:

BUF gets: STL 1st round pick in 2014

STL gets: BUF 2nd round pick (from MIN) and BUF 3rd round pick

If St Louis doesn't make the Conference Final AND Ryan Miller signs after the 2014 draft:

BUF gets: STL 2nd round pick in 2016

If St Louis doesn't make the Conference FInal AND Ryan Miller doesn't sign with St Louis:

BUF gets: STL 3rd round pick in 2016

ok...now it makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the clarification!!!

So we can phrase the trade a few ways:

STL gets: Miller as just a rental, Ott as just as a rental, and no significant playoff success:

BUF gets: Halak, Stewart, Carrier, 1st round pick 2015, 3rd round pick 2016

Opinion: That's a pretty ###### good haul for two rentals. Something like Halak, a 1st and a prospect for a couple months of Miller, and Stewart + 3rd for a couple months of Ott.

OR

STL gets: Miller as just a rental, Ott as just as a rental, significant playoff success, 2nd round pick 2014, 3rd round pick 2014

BUF gets: Stewart, Carrier, 1st round pick 2014, 1st round pick 2015

OR

STL gets: Miller locked up before the draft, Ott as just a rental, no significant playoff success, 2nd round pick 2014, 3rd round pick 2014

BUF gets: HalakStewart, Carrier, 1st round pick 2014, 1st round pick 2015

Opinion: Even better haul for the Sabres if it's just for rentals. It turns out that the price of success OR the price of signing Miller pre-draft for STL is the difference between a mid-low 2nd round pick (like pick 45-55) and a very low 1st round pick (pick 27-30) minus the cost of a high 3rd round pick (61-63) for and a who knows 3rd round pick (probably 75-85). A nice little bump-up for the Sabres. Ends up being something like Miller and a 2nd for Halak, Stewart, Carrier, and a 1st, plus Ott and a 3rd for a 1st.

OR

STL gets: Miller locked up after the draft, Ott as just a rental, no significant playoff success

BUF gets: Halak, Stewart, Carrier, 1st round pick 2015, 2nd round pick 2016

Opinion: Still not a bad haul, but a little less than the others. Something like 1st and 2nd and Halak for Miller long term and Stewart and Carrier for Ott.

Bottom line: We want that 1st round pick for the mid low 2nd and high 3rd, but if Miller doesn't sign until after the draft, we still get a free mid-low 2nd rounder, and that's better than a 3rd three drafts from now.

I wonder if this covers the scenario where Miller actually hits free agency and then decides to return.

I hope it would, and I think Tim Murray's smart enough to cover that loophole.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I hope it would, and I think Tim Murray's smart enough to cover that loophole.

I just wonder if you can make a trade conditional on where someone signs in unrestricted free agency. I would guess that once Miller's contract has expired, the conditions have been met. I'd love to see if there are any type of restrictions on what can and can't be made a condition of a trade.

I just wonder if you can make a trade conditional on where someone signs in unrestricted free agency. I would guess that once Miller's contract has expired, the conditions have been met. I'd love to see if there are any type of restrictions on what can and can't be made a condition of a trade.

Yeah, i can't see any legal way that a deal could be made and hold up, where they can put a condition on what happens to the player once their contract is fulfilled

Yeah, i can't see any legal way that a deal could be made and hold up, where they can put a condition on what happens to the player once their contract is fulfilled

I'm tempted to say, why not? The trade itself is a contract between two teams, not the player. True, the trade can't stop the player from doing whatever he wants, but it doesn't seem like there's much that couldn't be excluded from the contract between the two teams.

Official terms/conditions of the miller deal:

We get a 2014 first AND a 2016 third while giving them the 2014 Wild 2nd rounder and our 2014 third if Miller resigns prior to the draft, they make the conference finals or they trade Ryan Miller prior to the draft.

EDIT: For some reason my attachment isn't showing, Chz has it below.

Edited by Tankalicious

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.