OFFICIAL: Ryan Miller, Steve Ott to St. Louis for Chris Stewart, Halak, Carrier and two picks

Hoss

Hey, I made that image! Years ago, it seems.

Anyway, I'm officially over it now. Build me a Stanley Cup winning Sabres, please. Thanks.

I'm going to go smoke a bowl and have a piece of pie. Who's with me?

Way ahead of you :ph34r:

StL fans are incredulous that they didn't have to give up one of their top prospects. Miller had to be moved but I'm feeling like our rook GM got his lunch handed to him here.

They just have to give up their top prospect each of the next two years.....and Ottawa is about to give up 2 of their top prospects......

The fact that the Blues GM said that Stewart will be good "in Buffalo or SOMEWHERE in the NHL" is extremely telling to me. I think he knows that they had deep talks about the three-team deal and that Stewart likely won't play here.

Reading the comments on TSN, it's interesting the range of perspectives. There are people there who simply have no idea what they're getting in Ott and Miller. I think Miller will kick ass with that team in front of him. Ott should be a beast in the playoffs.

On the other hand, Stewart and Halak are getting a lot of love. I'm inclined to think this deal does weigh in Buffalo's favor, but that ignores that there is no set price for making a move that makes you a serious contender. When you're at that point, what good is a pick or a prospect, especially in the face of a move that may get you the Cup? I dig it.

I don't think this will be the last we see of Ott or Miller to be honest. I think Ott will return in the offseason and Miller may return to backup in Buffalo for a year before he retires. At age 39 if he's still up to it. At very least I'd wonder if he'd retire a Sabre through a 1 day contract sort of deal.

If Miller signs with them or they get to the Conference Finals while Halak is signed/moved I'd say it was a successful deal.

The irony is the one guy that could have probably plugged into Stewart for Stl was Ott..... It sounds like Stewart is out of here, but he's a blender of Stafford, Ott and Kassian. 26..... I think the Sabres did very well in this trade.

I can see Teddy getting quite a bit out of Stewart. I can definitely see Stewart getting flipped before Wednesday, but I wouldn't mind keeping him and letting Teddy work on him.

So long Ryan and Steve. You are character guys...I hope you win for the Blues and give us another #1. But I think the Sabres won the trade. I like stock-piling number #1s. Sounds like Sam Pollock and the old Mtl. Canadiens. I like giving Stewart a chance to be a star and Halak can actually come into his own if Buffalo is his kind of town. Or Enroth can finally come into his own. It's all good.

Well, if the Blues re-sign Miller, I think the Blues will have won the trade.

But Edmonton has no clue until this last year on how to rebuild that team. I just don't want to here about Sam Gagner to Buffalo any more. I don't want him.

Kinda depends on what the price is for Gagner, innit? Wouldn't you be OK with, say, McNabb and a #2 for Gagner?

As Kris Baker just put out: Carrier is AHL eligible next year even after being drafted in 2013.

Good info. Thanks.

I'm kinda psyched about Carrier.

Edited by nfreeman

Hey, I made that image! Years ago, it seems.

Anyway, I'm officially over it now. Build me a Stanley Cup winning Sabres, please. Thanks.

I'm going to go smoke a bowl and have a piece of pie. Who's with me?

I'm with you sizzle

Watching Vancouver vs Minnesota tonight makes me want a super goalie prospect more than ever. Two fantastic prospects turned young potential starters in Lack and Kuemper just put on a show in a 2-1 shootout game. No goals in the shootout until the seventh round.

I'll give Anaheim Ehrhoff for John Gibson.

Will Ottawa give us Chris Driedger for Chris Stewart?

Guest Sloth

I think it's been so long since this town had a winning team, we all forgot what it takes to make one.

So, how much are the Blues going to offer Miller? I'm thinking $27.5m X 5 years.

Lundqvist picked up a deal lasting 7 years and reaching 59 million. St. Louis would have to offer more than 27.5 million over a 5 year period. I'm guessing 33 to 35 million is what it will take to sign Miller. Wouldn't be surprised if it took more than that.

Edited by thanes16

In an ideal world they win the cup with the blues and come back and sign with us. :P

But im going to miss Miller time for real, I liked him more than hasek even, says enough for me.

As for Ott i never really cared much for him, but am going to miss his attitude.

edit:just been watching the interviews.

Seeing how gutted Ryan miller is, I think if we are contending in 3yrs, he'll want to be back.

Ott we might have lost forever, The blues have so many hockey friends for him he'll hang around.

As to what is coming back, Carrier seems to be a prospect Murray was following alot, maybe was higher on his list than Rattie.

He clearly stated he expected him to be a 1st rounder last year, but that fell back because of injuries. This is someone he has had his eye on for some time.

Halak + Stewart well it can't hurt to have an extra NHL level goalie this season, but i hope enroth gets his shot at #1 and he played like one tonight.

Stewart to me is an asset he can turn around this or next trade deadline as well.

Edited by Heimdall

Anybody opposed to Pegula building a statue out front of Hasek and Miller in a few years?

(Maybe at the same time of the unveiling, raising jerseys #30 & #39 together up to the rafters? No better way to honor two of the best Sabres of all-time.)

As for the trade...it is bittersweet. I couldn't be happier and more excited for Ryan and Steve, but I am not as happy about the return as I thought I would be, as I REALLY wanted Jaskin or Rattie. However, I think the draft picks could produce better prospects than either of those two guys. Tim Murray won me over tonight, that's for sure.

My question is...how does the conditional pick work, with the draft coming before free agency? I hope St. Louis makes the WFC so we don't even have to worry about it. I fully expect Murray to make another move before the deadline, to clear some space on his plate for the actual deadline day...which will be as hectic as we've ever seen.

I am excited, and just tweeted NBC Sports and NHL Network, that given Buffalo's TV ratings...it would be within everyone's best interests if they show as many Blues games on those channels as possible from now through the playoffs. St. Louis is now my second favorite team, and I would watch every game for the rest of the year.

Either way, Tim Murray is probably all like, "the future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!" :flirt:

EDIT: Removed controversial comment.

Edited by Bob Malooga

Super late and I don't think I have anything new to add, but I'm going to post anyway :P

I'm sad. As much as I'm on board with tanking and the long-term rebuild, I was a Miller fan...enjoyed watching him play, and loved his interviews more often than not. I didn't want St. Louis to win because of Hitchcock and their style of play, and a little because Brett Hull played there...but I'm rooting for them big time right now. Go Blues!

I like Stewart, have wanted to get him in a Sabres uni for awhile. That said, I fully expect he's gone before the deadline, so I won't waste time making a case for him. Overall I thought the trade was really good from a value perspective, although I didn't think we'd get much more than a 2nd and maybe a mid-level prospect for Miller, so that certainly influences my appraisal.

I totally understand people being dejected by this, and being unhappy with the prospect of a 3-5 year rebuild...but it was going to be 3-5 years anyway. I think there was an opportunity to make the team pretty good a couple years ago...but once Pommer was traded for futures, the writing was on the wall and this thing was being torn down. Whether Murray would have taken that initial step or not we'll never know, but with the team he inherited, there was precious little else he could do but see it through. Even if we sold all of our prospects and picks and grossly overpaid for a Paul Stastny in free agency...it's still just a bubble playoff team. That would be unwise IMO, and you simply can't get from the worst team in the league to a legit playoff team by trading Brayden McNabb and a few 2nds. This had to be done at this point.

Silver lining: it can be really fun to watch a bunch of kids grow up together into a force. We have that opportunity now. Those of you who thought this team could be turned into a contender without being torn down are optimists by nature, so I mean this sincerely, be optimistic with how enjoyable the growth can be if this thing pans out.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

That conditional pick definitely sweetens the pot. It must become a 2016 first if Miller signs after the 2014 draft then?

Could Stewart AND Moulson be enough to net Lazar?

Wouldn't that be overpayment for Lazar? I had a feeling that Miller had to be paired with someone to get the deal done. I still wish they could have landed Rattie in this deal. I don't know if it's such a great ideal if Moulson gets moved unless if we get a can't miss prospect or more in the deal. It should be an interesting deadline this year.

I hope I am wrong, but I just don't understand why so many think there is a good chance either guy will return to the Sabres, I suppose it is possible, but how often does that really happen? I am sad to see the end of a great Sabre career with Miller being traded. He was, unquestionably the heart and soul of this team. I will admit, before this current season, I had been a little up and down on him the 3 previous years or so...so unbelievably great at times, and then a bit underwhelming at others. What I always appreciated about him, was how much he cared... all that said though, I am actually a little sadder to see Ott go. He is the type of player that this franchise had been in need of for years now... I would love to see him re-sign, but I am not crossing my fingers. As somebody said tonight in all the analysis, an ex-player, when asked what it was like to be traded said.."you feel terrible at first...your being being separated from all your buddies, sent off somewhere you don't know anyone...but once you get there, you learn pretty quickly "I miss my old buddies, but there a bunch of great guys here too". And your real true friends, you keep in touch with"

I hope I am wrong, but I just don't understand why so many think there is a good chance either guy will return to the Sabres, I suppose it is possible, but how often does that really happen? I am sad to see the end of a great Sabre career with Miller being traded. He was, unquestionably the heart and soul of this team. I will admit, before this current season, I had been a little up and down on him the 3 previous years or so...so unbelievably great at times, and then a bit underwhelming at others. What I always appreciated about him, was how much he cared... all that said though, I am actually a little sadder to see Ott go. He is the type of player that this franchise had been in need of for years now... I would love to see him re-sign, but I am not crossing my fingers. As somebody said tonight in all the analysis, an ex-player, when asked what it was like to be traded said.."you feel terrible at first...your being being separated from all your buddies, sent off somewhere you don't know anyone...but once you get there, you learn pretty quickly "I miss my old buddies, but there a bunch of great guys here too". And your real true friends, you keep in touch with"

I have to agree Ott was a player that Buffalo needed. He's tough and plays hard every shift. I'm very sad to see him go. It would be nice to see him re-sign here but I highly doubt it.

Hasek' number is the only number is even kind of consider retiring until this team wins a championship. There's already way too many numbers up there for a team who hasn't won anything.

There are 3 guys who have a statue and their jersey's retired...who never won anything either.

That's not the point...you honor your best players, look how many players the Bills have honored, what have they won?

(They are 2 of the best players in franchise history, and by far the 2 best goalies we have ever seen wear the blue and gold.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.