• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

Halak and Elliott are UFAs, as is Miller. If they trade Allen, the Blues could be in a situation where they will not have anyone approaching NHL calibre, or potential, under contract come July 1.

Now I think there is a great chance that if Anaheim (his most logical UFA destination) isn't interested, Miller would be happy to sign a cap-friendly deal with the Blues.

But if you were Doug Armstong, would you take that risk?

Here's one from left field that makes some sense if you think about it a bit: Miller and Enroth for Allen and Halak.

Still doesn't make sense, the Blues could just keep Allen, offer Halak as part of the Miller Deal with picks/prospects and get to keep someone with a higher upside/future in Allen instead of taking on Enroth.

In any deal with the blues, the Sabres will have to take a goalie, either Halak or Elliot, back (unless part of a 3 team trade where the Blues can ship a goalie off somewhere else) to the Sabres. They won't be sending their future #1 back in the deal and leave themselves with 3 UFAs with miller, Halak, and Elliot.

I like the idea of getting Halak in return and re-signing him to be the #1 for now. He would be a bit of a downgrade in net, but it still a decent #1 that can be good enough while they continue the rebuild and can hold things down til one of the prospects step up or they can figure something else out when the rest of the teams ready. it would allow them to stay competitive while they rebuild

Still doesn't make sense, the Blues could just keep Allen, offer Halak as part of the Miller Deal with picks/prospects and get to keep someone with a higher upside/future in Allen instead of taking on Enroth.

In any deal with the blues, the Sabres will have to take a goalie, either Halak or Elliot, back (unless part of a 3 team trade where the Blues can ship a goalie off somewhere else) to the Sabres. They won't be sending their future #1 back in the deal and leave themselves with 3 UFAs with miller, Halak, and Elliot.

I like the idea of getting Halak in return and re-signing him to be the #1 for now. He would be a bit of a downgrade in net, but it still a decent #1 that can be good enough while they continue the rebuild and can hold things down til one of the prospects step up or they can figure something else out when the rest of the teams ready. it would allow them to stay competitive while they rebuild

Also very logical. I think Murray would want Allen was really all I was intending.

Also very logical. I think Murray would want Allen was really all I was intending.

I'm sure he would ask and try to use that as a starting point, but I think there is a better chance of the Sabres going on a Historical run and winning the cup this season then there is of the Blues willing to make a deal like that.

i would think it may be easier to make a deal with Anaheim to get someone like Gibson because Anaheim still has some other potential future #1s that are almost ready.

Sure, but the point of the post was to find a way to get Allen to Buffalo.

I'm high on Allen but Enroth is a more proven commodity than he he is, and he's better than Halak.

Basically Enroth is decent insurance if the Blues can't sign Miller, and an OK trade chip if they can.

Any talks with the blues begin or end on whether they think Miller is the missing link to a cup.

If they do, they should be willing to give up good assets. If they don't we will be looking at a disappointing return for our best player.

It's pretty much that simple and only Armstrong knows the answer.

Sure it would. Demko will probably be available at the top of the 2nd where we get to draft anyway so... use your first rounders on elite scoring.

Doubtful. Demko will probably be a first round pick this year. If we get the Isles pick this year AND a late first then I definitely take Demko if he's available with the third first.

Edited by Tankalicious

Doubtful. Demko will probably be a first round pick this year. If we get the Isles pick this year AND a late first then I definitely take Demko if he's available with the third first.

I wouldn't. Goalies are unpredictable and even Fucale last year fell to the 2nd round. The Sabres have no need to reach on a goalie when they can't even score at NHL rate. No reason at all.

We'll likely have an extra late first, too. Wouldn't hurt to lock up the top goalie in the draft.

My ideal draft would be Reinhart with our pick at the top, the Islanders defer, we get Ho-Sang in the teens thanks to a UFA trade and we take Demko with our third pick. Be perfectly happy if we blow all three seconds making sure that happens.

I wouldn't. Goalies are unpredictable and even Fucale last year fell to the 2nd round. The Sabres have no need to reach on a goalie when they can't even score at NHL rate. No reason at all.

Without Miller they won't be able to prevent goals at an NHL rate. Prospects taken in the second are YEARS away, so what is going on with the team RIGHT NOW is almost completely irrelevant. They'll have many years to draft/sign/acquire forwards. Do you expect them to take a forward with every pick for the next five years?

Sure, but the point of the post was to find a way to get Allen to Buffalo.

I'm high on Allen but Enroth is a more proven commodity than he he is, and he's better than Halak.

Basically Enroth is decent insurance if the Blues can't sign Miller, and an OK trade chip if they can.

Any talks with the blues begin or end on whether they think Miller is the missing link to a cup.

If they do, they should be willing to give up good assets. If they don't we will be looking at a disappointing return for our best player.

It's pretty much that simple and only Armstrong knows the answer.

Are you seriously saying Enroth is better then Halak?

The Blues don't want Enroth, and I highly doubt they want to give up their future #1 to take on Miller

The deal more then likely would be Miller for Halak and additional picks/prospects, with number and quality being determined on if they can sign Miller.

The Blues have other good assets that they can use to acquire Miller and not have to include Allen.

. Do you expect them to take a forward with every pick for the next five years?

This. I'm not going to debate the drafting a goalie high thing with LGR again; we will have to agree to disagree.

But we have so many picks, simple math makes it logical to use one on a goalie.

Looking around the league, the majority of high goalie picks like Allen and Gibson and Fucale remain top prospects.

Without Miller they won't be able to prevent goals at an NHL rate. Prospects taken in the second are YEARS away, so what is going on with the team RIGHT NOW is almost completely irrelevant. They'll have many years to draft/sign/acquire forwards. Do you expect them to take a forward with every pick for the next five years?

Goalies taken in the late first are years away as well. We won't be able to compete for years. I am all for a gt with one of our 2nds but no point in wasting a first on one when time and time again we and other teams are able to draft them in the 2nd round and later. Also don't get all stupid with "Do you expect them to take a forward with every pick for the next five years?" Of course I don't but considering they only drafted defenders in the first last year and we have a complete lack of talent in our top 6, they should focus on drafting high end offensive talent this year, especially considering the depth of wingers available in this draft and the sabres lack of said wingers.

So Thatcher Demko in round 1 for me is still a no.

This. I'm not going to debate the drafting a goalie high thing with LGR again; we will have to agree to disagree.

Looking around the league, the majority of high goalie picks like Allen and Gibson and Fucale remain top prospects.

Again I am perfectly happy with drafting a GT in the 2nd round and since that would be the 30th pick in all likelihood, its basically the 1st round anyway.

Are you seriously saying Enroth is better then Halak?

The Blues don't want Enroth, and I highly doubt they want to give up their future #1 to take on Miller

The deal more then likely would be Miller for Halak and additional picks/prospects, with number and quality being determined on if they can sign Miller.

The Blues have other good assets that they can use to acquire Miller and not have to include Allen.

I do think Enroth is slightly better than Halak. I see them both as goalies who can be adequate starters for good teams, but will always leave you wanting more.

As far as Allen goes, I agree the Blues have no reason to trade him and probably won't. They have a bunch of good young wingers and can afford to move one, and the Sabres need them.

To me, the simple math is we need a lot of help at forwards, and the more 1st round forwards you pick the more chance you hit on a few of them. BUt it's not that big a deal. If with the Sabres 3rd 1st round pick they take a GT it's OK, I guess, but it'll be interesting to see what skaters are picked shortly after that end up making it. I'm not talking about the 5th round Datsyuk, of course, since no one is betting on those guys.

Wow I would take that trade in a heartbeat. That might be superior to the guastad for a first trade a couple of years ago!

Just remember, any trade that is a no brainier wont happen. If your initial reaction is no or I'd have to think about it you are getting close to reality

To me, the simple math is we need a lot of help at forwards, and the more 1st round forwards you pick the more chance you hit on a few of them. BUt it's not that big a deal. If with the Sabres 3rd 1st round pick they take a GT it's OK, I guess, but it'll be interesting to see what skaters are picked shortly after that end up making it. I'm not talking about the 5th round Datsyuk, of course, since no one is betting on those guys.

Actually, that's not far off where I am either. Our most pressing need is clearly forward talent and that's where our highest picks should go.

I'm just saying that with all of our first and second rounders in this three-year stretch, it would be a mistake not to use one on a blue chip goalie. We've only done it once in 10 or 15 years and it shows. All those mid-round goalie picks over that stretch have yielded only one miller and no other NHLers.

And since the Devils don't have a pick we can pretend it was the last pick of the first round if it makes someone happy

I'm not saying we have to take him in the first round. I'm saying we should. I don't think he'll be available into the second. If he is then take him there. I just want to see us take him, I think he's got a very good NHL future.

His argument appears to be that you can't take a goalie in the first round because... it's the first round.

So it's basically just a mentality thing. Because the difference between a late first and early second is often minimal.

I am valuing forwards higher than GT based partially on position so yes.

And since the Devils don't have a pick we can pretend it was the last pick of the first round if it makes someone happy

Exactly

I'm not saying we have to take him in the first round. I'm saying we should. I don't think he'll be available into the second. If he is then take him there. I just want to see us take him, I think he's got a very good NHL future.

His argument appears to be that you can't take a goalie in the first round because... it's the first round.

I said you shouldn't take them not you can't. Again it is how I value goalies and how 1st round tenders pan out or don't. With how messed up the Sabres are I don't think they should do it this year in the first round. Second round go for it but 1st round should be devoted to getting offensive talent IMPO. Demko IMPO is not better than the top 30 skaters or the top 30 forwards IMPO. It is just how I value things.