Hired: Tim Murray, GM and Craig Patrick, Advisor

That Aud Smell

But I'm not so sure Patrick isn't past his prime. Yes, he's in the Hall, and yes, hockey people have heard his name. And yes, hopefully I'll be proven wrong because I just don't see him being anything close to a saviour.

Advisor's a good spot for him. He doesn't have to do anything but impart wisdom. See also: Scotty Bowman. And it's not like old guys can't actually do the job. See also: Glen Sather.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I nabbed this from the NHL article about the hires.

"Bringing Craig Patrick, I think, is a real special thing for him," LaFontaine said. "I said, 'Craig, why would you want to get involved still?' And he looked me right in the eye and said, 'Because I know I have two more Stanley Cups.' He said, 'I'm not done.' And when a Hall of Famer, a guy who's done what he's done, gold medal, Olympics, looks at you, he wants to help."

Tingles.

I nabbed this from the NHL article about the hires.

Tingles.

Wow, great catch, thanks for that. I'm so excited about what we can do over the next decade. We've got some real nice young building blocks (especially those two 1st from last year) plus a boat load of picks over the next two years. Now that it appears we have a legit front office, the sky is the limit. This really is a new era in Sabres history. I know I'm buckled in and ready for the ride....

Let's keep the Craig Patrick train rolling.

US HHOF, 1996: http://www.ushockeyhalloffame.com/page/show/828250-craig-patrick

....helped the Pioneers to NCAA Hockey Championships in 1968 and 1969.... 1980 gold medal U.S. Olympic hockey team in Lake Placid... He joined the New York Rangers ... became the youngest general manager in their history. ...As general manager of the Pittsburgh Penguins, his team won back-to-back Stanley Cups in 1991 and 1992 and have been continuous contenders in ensuing years...One of the game's brightest minds,

HHOF, 2001: http://www.hhof.com/htmlInduct../ind01patrick.shtml

...He played in both the 1970 and '71 World Championships for the United States while he was in the Army and also helped coach at West Point during this time...Patrick's administrative stock shot through the roof in the early winter of 1980 when the U.S. stunned the world with the famous "Miracle on Ice...he was named GM of the New York Rangers on June 14, 1981, at 34 - the youngest man to rise to that position and taking the same position his grandfather had had more than half a century earlier...He is responsible for hiring "Badger" Bob Johnson as coach, Scotty Bowman as director of player personnel, and drafting Jaromir Jagr...

Doesn't it?

Good: We should build a hotel and a parking garage across the street.

Better: With a bar to watch games.

Pegula: WITH TWO ###### ICE RINKS ON TOP!

Good: We should replace our head coach and GM.

Better: With some good honest names in Sabres history, like LaFontaine and Nolan.

Pegula: AND THAT GUY FROM MIRACLE!

You know, someone should send this to Pegula somehow.

This would be epic.

So if this is an 80s TV show, Murray is the no fun weapons expert, Pat is the guy with the funky plans, and Teddy is the affable wheelman. Now all we need is The Wild Card.

Especially the Wild Card.

You called? I would've responded earlier if I knew I was in such high demand but as you can clearly tell, I was out hunting for some Beef on Wecks for the presser.

Doesn't it?

Good: We should build a hotel and a parking garage across the street.

Better: With a bar to watch games.

Pegula: WITH TWO ###### ICE RINKS ON TOP!

Good: We should replace our head coach and GM.

Better: With some good honest names in Sabres history, like LaFontaine and Nolan.

Pegula: AND THAT GUY FROM MIRACLE!

hahaha this, :lol: :clapping: :thumbsup: +1

I'm stoked for this hiring. I love the combo, and after I get out of work I can do some more research and have a little more to say.

Any indication of a ceremony at the game tonight?

Good: We should introduce the new personnel to the crowd.

Better: And show some interview clips on the Jumbotron.

Pegula: WITH A FREE BEER!

Quick, name any other city where the fans would want to watch a press conference on the jumbotron.

Every now and then I'm really proud of the goofy fans in our city.

Finally the Sabres has adult supervision top to bottom. Pegula finally has a team in place that can and will build a good team. A GM who will assess his talent, move the dead weight and bring new faces. I expect the Sabres will finally be players in Free Agency.

Quick, name any other city where the fans would want to watch a press conference on the jumbotron.

Every now and then I'm really proud of the goofy fans in our city.

@BNHarrington: Video presentation in first timeout showing presser w/Murray & Patrick. And applause as they're shown in suite w/TBlack and TPeg.

I am so excited, and I know my Father is partying tonight...up in heaven. <3

My Pops passed away on June 18th, 2008...just shortly before the Sabres drafted Tyler Myers and Tyler Ennis. (My name is Tyler)

My Father was a business man, he lived in Pennsylvania, he loved Penn State...his name was Terry, he is buried in his Sabres attire.

I believe it is destined to happen...and I believe the odds got that much better today, and we are on our way! And when it happens, I will cry my eyes out...as it will be the most bitter-sweet moment of my entire life. (Some of my Father's last words to me were about how he could not stop thinking about how he would never get to see the Sabres play for a Cup, let alone another game, at all.)

But, I know he is watching now... ;)

Edited by DJshnooks

I am so excited, and I know my Father is partying tonight...up in heaven. <3

My Pops passed away on June 18th, 2008...just shortly before the Sabres drafted Tyler Myers and Tyler Ennis. (My name is Tyler)

My Father was a business man, he lived in Pennsylvania, he loved Penn State...his name was Terry, he is buried in his Sabres attire.

I believe it is destined to happen...and I believe the odds got that much better today, and we are on our way! And when it happens, I will cry my eyes out...as it will be the most bitter-sweet moment of my entire life. (Some of my Father's last words to me were about how he could not stop thinking about how he would never get to see the Sabres play for a Cup, let alone another game, at all.)

But, I know he is watching now... ;)

Great post! We share that feeling of destiny. It's why I get so mad at the jackasses who keep getting in the way! Maybe, just maybe, Terry is figuring things out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.