GDT: Buffalo at Toronto 12-27-13 at 7:30 PM EST

Doohickie

Nobody should be dissing Miller, he is one of the few bright spots on this team, even if he leaves i want to get a sabres jersey with his name.

Frak yeah i said it.

Drunkie going to bed now, in shame for putting a sabres game above boozing :D

Cheers. No harm in that.

Well the officials ( I'll use that term loosely ) saw fit to finally give us a powerplay in the dying minutes of the game. The second period when the Leafs ahem, stepped up their game, was when they were given the distinct advantage of a couple of bad calls against the Sabres.

The first goal - Girgenson was basically tripped up/interfered with, but luckily he was able to get it to Moulson.

Then I saw both Ennis and Stafford get their feet hooked out from under them with sticks. There were a couple other non-calls too - I think Girgenson might have gotten tripped up again. And a cross-check too I think. No calls. Sabres were getting called for every little thing, real or imagined (like the Erhoff penalty - what a joke!)

Miller was very strong tonight IMO.

When you give up 3 goals in regulation and 1 in the shootout, I dunno if "strong" is the right word. I thought it was average, somewhat decent. A spectacular, Vezina-trophy quality game played on his part and we would have won. However, if the Sabres had bothered to maybe play in the 2nd period, it would have made more of a difference in the outcome than Miller's play.

Great period for the Sabres - I hope they don't try to coast thru the rest of the game - play all 60 minutes, guys!

I'm a great prophet of doom and gloom, as the bolded is exactly what took place in the second period. :)

When you give up 3 goals in regulation and 1 in the shootout, I dunno if "strong" is the right word. I thought it was average, somewhat decent. A spectacular, Vezina-trophy quality game played on his part and we would have won. However, if the Sabres had bothered to maybe play in the 2nd period, it would have made more of a difference in the outcome than Miller's play.

goalie stats

8468011.jpg

Ryan Miller

9-17-1 SA: 42 TOI: 64:05 Saves: 39 EV: 32 - 34 PIM: 0 PP: 7 - 8 SV%: .929 SH: 0 - 0

A number of excellent saves among his 39 stops with none of the Leafs goals being softies. We just see it differently. :thumbsup:

I'm a great prophet of doom and gloom, as the bolded is exactly what took place in the second period. :)

I don't think the Sabres coasted in the second period at all. The Leafs are a playoff caliber team who didn't show up in the first period against the worst team in the league. Then they brought it balls to the wall. The Sabres just don't have the talent against teams that play like that.

These guys need help. No free agent is coming here and the Sabres are not trading for any legitimate stars. Only way they will add talent to this squad is the draft, and our best chance is getting Sam Reinhart. It hurts me so much when i see fans who see us win a game and get all giddy and start saying "screw the draft, keep winning".

Most of our "core" for the future isn't in Buffalo right now, anyways. They are in Rochester (Larsson, Armia, Risto), juniors (Zadorov, Bailey) or college (Compher, McCabe), so that whole losing is contagious worry that we all had when RR/DR were here is long gone by Nolan/PLF. Remain competitive, but losing is ok.

this is right on...

I don't think the Sabres coasted in the second period at all. The Leafs are a playoff caliber team who didn't show up in the first period against the worst team in the league. Then they brought it balls to the wall. The Sabres just don't have the talent against teams that play like that.

These guys need help. No free agent is coming here and the Sabres are not trading for any legitimate stars. Only way they will add talent to this squad is the draft, and our best chance is getting Sam Reinhart. It hurts me so much when i see fans who see us win a game and get all giddy and start saying "screw the draft, keep winning".

Most of our "core" for the future isn't in Buffalo right now, anyways. They are in Rochester (Larsson, Armia, Risto), juniors (Zadorov, Bailey) or college (Compher, McCabe), so that whole losing is contagious worry that we all had when RR/DR were here is long gone by Nolan/PLF. Remain competitive, but losing is ok.

Just was able to watch the recorded game...

Officiating was very biased, I'm not sure this decided the outcome, but it sure didn't help.

Sabres played 25 minutes of hockey tonight, they got passive and backed off for a majority of the game. Especially in 2nd and OT

Leino is a huge bust and a disappointment and I would like to buy him out this evening, also didn't like Omark's game tonight

Overall game was exciting, SO was annoying, but we got a point against a better team so I guess I'll take it

Just was able to watch the recorded game...

Officiating was very biased, I'm not sure this decided the outcome, but it sure didn't help.

Sabres played 25 minutes of hockey tonight, they got passive and backed off for a majority of the game. Especially in 2nd and OT

Leino is a huge bust and a disappointment and I would like to buy him out this evening, also didn't like Omark's game tonight

Overall game was exciting, SO was annoying, but we got a point against a better team so I guess I'll take it

Leino is perhaps the worst blunder of Regiers career. Blame should be shared with whomever was head scout at the time of this signing because this was more than likely a team decision. So far Omark looks extremely easy to push off the puck and seems to me a typical A.H.L. player in over his head. I'm not sure he is NHL ready at 26 yrs of age which makes me wonder if he'll ever be ready. Hopefully he adjusts as he gets used to the team and systems.

Leino is perhaps the worst blunder of Regiers career. Blame should be shared with whomever was head scout at the time of this signing because this was more than likely a team decision. So far Omark looks extremely easy to push off the puck and seems to me a typical A.H.L. player in over his head. I'm not sure he is NHL ready at 26 yrs of age which makes me wonder if he'll ever be ready. Hopefully he adjusts as he gets used to the team and systems.

I hope so too, but he is a fairly small player and doesn't seem to be very strong on the puck.... I'm not ready to baste him yet, new team and some NHL conditioning may help... Plus we gave up next to nothing for him.

Otherwise, I think most others have put forth a good effort.... Even Stafford lately, we just aren't good overall

I hope so too, but he is a fairly small player and doesn't seem to be very strong on the puck.... I'm not ready to baste him yet, new team and some NHL conditioning may help... Plus we gave up next to nothing for him.

Otherwise, I think most others have put forth a good effort.... Even Stafford lately, we just aren't good overall

I've been impressed with Staffs hustle but he still has hands of stone.

Sorry Jsixspd, don't take this as a shot, but anyone saying Miller was average or OK tonight either has a blind spot when it comes to Miller, or a radically different idea than I do of what constitutes good NHL goaltending.

His focus and positioning were outstanding. He was consistent throughout and he made some ridiculously athletic saves.

I've been on this board long enough to know I'm not going to change anyone's mind on Miller, but I just didn't see the same game.

you given Leafs no credit for stepping up their play in second, it rather the Sabres didnt give effort, sorry don't buy that. Guy come over to shoot box and talk all things culinary and more, to much analysis of games like tonight likely bad for us.

Don't care if you buy it, we've seen the same lacklustre eftort nighht after night for the better part of 7 years, so we recognise another period of it.

The Leafs are a better team, but they're not a 17-5 in shots better team, without the Sabres letting them have all the time and space in the world.

Sorry Jsixspd, don't take this as a shot, but anyone saying Miller was average or OK tonight either has a blind spot when it comes to Miller, or a radically different idea than I do of what constitutes good NHL goaltending.

His focus and positioning were outstanding. He was consistent throughout and he made some ridiculously athletic saves.

I've been on this board long enough to know I'm not going to change anyone's mind on Miller, but I just didn't see the same game.

I'm not a Miller fan, and even I thought he had a pretty good game tonight.

Now, with that said I'm going to use the argument people use against me when I defend Enroth. A star goaltender comes up with the big saves at crucial times in the game. Miller had 3 goals to work with, which is more than he's used to this year. That 2nd period flurry was key to Toronto's victory, whether Miller had a great game or not, he needed to come up big in the second half of that period. Even if he stopped one of those three goals. No team plays for a full 60 minutes more than a handful of times a year. The Sabres laid it on in the 1st, Toronto laid it on in the 2nd. Bernier won.

Very good post. In the second Toronto showed what they can. Of course our team does not look so good in this period, but we need to acknowledge that other teams can have a very good period too. Toronto played well and then additionally got the momentum working and had the support of their fans.

I love that our team was able to come back.

THE highlight of the game: Scotts goal of course. I was wondering if hell froze over in this moment.

Miller made some really spectacular saves especially at the end of period three. He held us in the game.

Girgensons is absolutely amazing.

We are missing Hodgson, he could help us. The Leino, Omark, Foligno line was not good.

In the end it was a good Buffalo game. Yes in the second Toronto was way over our head, but we came back and that counts.

What i find is interesting is, that when we won in every thread we cheer how good we are. For example in the 2:1 win against the Coyotes i did not like our play, we won it nevertheless. Today we generated lots of chances and cross crease passes which we could not convert, but i was excited throughout the whole game what is happening on the ice. The game agaisnt the Coyotes was nearly unwatchable so it turned it off after half of it. For me not the result is finally showing me if we had a good game. I believe you can see it only if you watch the whole game. The highlights also tend to not give you a good overview what happened.

I'm not a Miller fan, and even I thought he had a pretty good game tonight.

Now, with that said I'm going to use the argument people use against me when I defend Enroth. A star goaltender comes up with the big saves at crucial times in the game. Miller had 3 goals to work with, which is more than he's used to this year. That 2nd period flurry was key to Toronto's victory, whether Miller had a great game or not, he needed to come up big in the second half of that period. Even if he stopped one of those three goals. No team plays for a full 60 minutes more than a handful of times a year. The Sabres laid it on in the 1st, Toronto laid it on in the 2nd. Bernier won.

Anytime a goalie faces over 40 shots, if they even take it to the shootout then they have done more than enough IMO.

On the month of December Miller has a .940 save percentage, and the team is 4-4-2 (i think someone said that above). I think that shows it is the team in front if you require your goalie to be that good to even get to .500

Anytime a goalie faces over 40 shots, if they even take it to the shootout then they have done more than enough IMO.

On the month of December Miller has a .940 save percentage, and the team is 4-4-2 (i think someone said that above). I think that shows it is the team in front if you require your goalie to be that good to even get to .500

I agree.

Miller is not, and has never been the problem.

Having Leino and Omark both logging a little under 2 1/2 minutes in the OT is not going to produce many wins. I know they got trapped out there on their 2nd OT shift, but I don't think either deserved any ice time in the OT. Having a line of Leino, Omark and Foligno is a joke, they all should be sent down. Foligno is a huge disappointment, he has the ability to be the type of player that Zemgus is becoming, yet he gives no effort. The apple has certainly fallen far from the tree in this case.

goalie stats

8468011.jpg

Ryan Miller

9-17-1 SA: 42 TOI: 64:05 Saves: 39 EV: 32 - 34 PIM: 0 PP: 7 - 8 SV%: .929 SH: 0 - 0

A number of excellent saves among his 39 stops with none of the Leafs goals being softies. We just see it differently. :thumbsup:

.929 SP is about average for Miller - who for the season is .924. I'm just saying if he'd had an above average game.....

Having Leino and Omark both logging a little under 2 1/2 minutes in the OT is not going to produce many wins. I know they got trapped out there on their 2nd OT shift, but I don't think either deserved any ice time in the OT. Having a line of Leino, Omark and Foligno is a joke, they all should be sent down. Foligno is a huge disappointment, he has the ability to be the type of player that Zemgus is becoming, yet he gives no effort. The apple has certainly fallen far from the tree in this case.

I could not understand playing Leino so much in overtime - it was baffling, considering his total time on ice was under 13 minutes last night. When he is on the ice, it's almost like having 4 1/2 players on the ice. I saw a play in the 1st or 2nd period where Leino had the puck, was attempting to take it out of the Buffalo zone, and put it RIGHT ON the stick of a Toronto player who was standing about 6 feet from Leino, well inside the blue line - it was lucky that didn't end up being a goal.

There's a reason the guy has no goals, and is -6 in the +/- for the season. The Sabres would have been better not playing him AT ALL.

There's a lot to be said about ability to evaluate goaltenders. Some people just lack the knowledge to make sound judgment. It's why I don't bother fighting people about Miller anymore. Either you see it, or you don't.

You can't measure a goalie strictly by how many goals he gives up. You have to consider each goal. Was he beat or was he left to hang by his D? Miller has not been beat often. His shootout record is the best in the NHL. Not sure how much better you can realistically expect him to be.

PTR

The first goal - Girgenson was basically tripped up/interfered with, but luckily he was able to get it to Moulson.

Then I saw both Ennis and Stafford get their feet hooked out from under them with sticks. There were a couple other non-calls too - I think Girgenson might have gotten tripped up again. And a cross-check too I think. No calls. Sabres were getting called for every little thing, real or imagined (like the Erhoff penalty - what a joke!)

There were at least 3 instances where the Maple Leafs' players blatantly and obviously hooked the feet right out from under Sabres players - and right in front of the goal and the officials - they were NEVER called. But Erhoff gets called for 'interference' in a pile up while fighting for the puck? And then Moulson gets checked right into the goal post, and nothing called?? That was disgusting!!!!! What's big mouth Shanahan got to say about his officials??? They were clearly, overwhelmingly biased in favor of the Leafs.

The Leafs are soft. They brought their trademark inability to finish a game. I can't really be too upset about finally losing a shootout, as winning 4 in a row is pretty lucky. I love Gus, and I love that our guys didn't back down.

Hopefully this isn't how the team in front of Miller plays at the olympics against the speedy swedes and finns on the big ice.

+1. Also i get nauseous when I read about the return of the hardest working team in hockey. One, they aren't, Chicago, St Louis bring it every night for 60 minutes. Two, talent with comparable effort wins 90% of the time. Sure, I like to see effort, but prefer talent. After, watching the WJC, i want McDavid or at the least Eichel, then i will worry about wins.

Archived