Confirmed: Sabres Acquire Winger Linus Omark from Edmonton

26CornerBlitz

Will he get his shot with the Sabres right away or go down to Rachacha?? Maybe Leino will just retire already! He's invisible.

Leino played his most minutes as a Sabre tonight. And I have to think he'll be coming to Buffalo considering he said he'll leave the states if he doesn't get an NHL opportunity soon.

What a bargain! Really underrated guy that never got an actual shot at the NHL. He has talent by the boatload, excited to see how he pann out with the sabres. Everone in Sweden thought he would take the NHL by storm a couple of years ago, but it didn't happen,

Yup, he has puck skills, no doubt.

I'm hoping he suffered from Edmonton just being too young and build poorly, and can turn it around in Buffalo, cause he certainly has 1st line potential.

Yup, he has puck skills, no doubt.

I'm hoping he suffered from Edmonton just being too young and build poorly, and can turn it around in Buffalo, cause he certainly has 1st line potential.

There's a distinct possibility that this was the case, but what's different about Buffalo?

Feels like they stole a player for a 6th round pick. Be interesting to see if his showboating ways will be tolerated under TN

My thought is that, hell yes they will be tolerated.... as long as they don't lead to costly mistakes. This team is just finding itself, nothing wrong with giving it a little personality.

There's a distinct possibility that this was the case, but what's different about Buffalo?

Good point, but at least we got rid of the guy who put together this mess.

And I get the feeling we won't be standing pat in the off-season either, and with Regier gone and a the old "meh" mentality gone, I don't think players will be as reluctant to come here any more.

Sure, we may not attract top shelf FA's, but less can do the trick.

I'm kinda psyched about this move. They're dying for playmakers on offense and they're taking a cheap flyer on someone who has produced quite a bit of offense in 3 very good non-NHL leagues, and who didn't do badly in his one and only shot in th NHL -- which was for a highly dysfunctional franchise.

As for his age: he came to the US at age 23 in 2010-2011 and got 51 games in Edmonton. They had too many young skilled forwards ahead of him so they kept him in the minors for most of 2011-2012. He went home for the lockout year in 2012-2013 and returned to Edmonton this year. So it's not like a Mancari situation where a guy has been unable to get out of the AHL for 7 or 8 years.

His youtube clips show an undeniably high level of puck skills. It looks like he's a decent skater too. His AHL coach says he's really matured this year. And I'm not really concerned that Edmonton, which is a very poorly run franchise, has given up on him.

Teddy is going to turn him into something real.

Edited by nfreeman

Moves like this when you're tanking (I don't actually think they're actively tanking anymore, but they're experimenting a lot with the thought that if it fails it's okay) make too much sense. Either it helps your tank because the players doesn't pan out, or the player hurts the tank but turns into a building block.

And I get the feeling we won't be standing pat in the off-season either, and with Regier gone and a the old "meh" mentality gone, I don't think players will be as reluctant to come here any more.

This is going to be one of the most exciting and interesting off-seasons Sabres fans have ever suffered through. Already the GM, the coach, and the draft are on the table. There HAS to be player movement. The coaching staff, coach aside, will probably shake up a little. Harbour Centre will open. Lots and lots going on...

I'm kinda psyched about this move. They're dying for playmakers on offense and they're taking a cheap flyer on someone who has produced quite a bit of offense in 3 very good non-NHL leagues, and who didn't do badly in his one and only shot in th NHL -- which was for a highly dysfunctional franchise.

As for his age: he came to the US at age 23 in 2010-2011 and got 51 games in Edmonton. They had too many young skilled forwards ahead of him so they kept him in the minors for most of 2011-2012. He went home for the lockout year in 2012-2013 and returned to Edmonton this year. So it's not like a Mancari situation where a guy has been unable to get out of the AHL for 7 or 8 years.

His youtube clips show an undeniably high level of puck skills. It looks like he's a decent skater too. His AHL coach says he's really matured this year. And I'm not really concerned that Edmonton, which is a very poorly run franchise, has given up on him.

Teddy is going to turn him into something real.

It'd be interesting to see how many Miro parallels can be taken from this deal.

There's no downside to this trade, especially with the Cody^2 being out with injuries right now. Let's say his game isn't quite right. Sure, he might leave if you send him down to Rochester, but if he doesn't he'd fill in for Armia/Adam right?

Does this mean we finally get to hear some Vince Guaraldi at the Mmarena?

If so, I'm good w/ the trade.

It would be hilarious watching Miller bopping around the goal crease like Snoopy on a toy piano.

This place is special, exhibit 37a. I listened to that in my car, driving home, late last night.

Woke up thinking this could really be a case of right place, right time for us.

Guy with mad skills stifled by coaches who wanted him to conform, on a team with too many skilled forwards.

Comes to a team with a crying need with skill and coach whose core philosophy is getting players to just be themselves.

And, as many have said, there's nothing to lose.

Omark might be a douche. But Teddy did alright with Marchand.

Woke up thinking this could really be a case of right place, right time for us.

Guy with mad skills stifled by coaches who wanted him to conform, on a team with too many skilled forwards.

Comes to a team with a crying need with skill and coach whose core philosophy is getting players to just be themselves.

And, as many have said, there's nothing to lose.

Omark might be a douche. But Teddy did alright with Marchand.

Great fukcin' take right there, especially the bolded piece.

Wow, can we slow down a touch here guys? We didn't give up anything so it can't end up being a bad trade but I think it's way too premature to use the word steal. The guy has been a near AHL lifer, is already 26 and threatening to take his toys and fly back to Europe. I will give Patty props for making a zero risk trade like this. But this screams like another Luke Adam / D'Agostini type player. That video was a good watch but if he has that type of offensive skill, his D must be 50 times worse than Hodgson.

Edited by Derrico

Wow, can we slow down a touch here guys? We didn't give up anything so it can't end up being a bad trade but I think it's way too premature to use the word steal. The guy has been a near AHL lifer, is already 26 and threatening to take his toys and fly back to Europe. I will give Patty props for making a zero risk trade like this. But this screams like another Luke Adam / D'Agostini type player. That video was a good watch but if he has that type of offensive skill, his D must be 50 times worse than Hodgson.

I agree that it's not time yet to start popping the champagne corks, but, as I posted above, he is not an AHL lifer. He has had exactly one full AHL season, plus 30 games or so this year. That's it.

To me it doesn't matter if the Sabres *win* this trade. To me, they can't lose it.

A small skilled forward who could not crack the Oiler lineup, which is full of forwards even more skilled than Omark.

Props to PLF for doing something. Taking a chance. You can't win if you don't try.

This season is all about seeing what works. Omark might just work. Nolan will give him his shot and will coach him properly. Of that, I have no doubt.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.