Who or what is most improved under Nolan

SabresBillsFan

Who or what do you see has improved under Nolan?

I think Leino and Stafford are the most improved under Nolan. For all the people that wanted Stafford gone he might up his trade value if he keeps playing better. Leino also seems to be playing better of late now. Both players not deserving of the contracts they were given by Regier but nothing that anyone can do about that now.

As far as the team goes they are playing better but lets face it they are not good to begin with.

For specific players -- Myers and Stafford. Leino has also shown more life but has also taken 2 unacceptable penalties late in games with the Sabres down by 1, and in any case hasn't produced any scoring.

Team-wide -- they show up and play hard for most of the game, and don't start off the games looking beaten. They also generate more pressure on the forecheck and look less beleaguered in their defensive zone.

I think they've gotten just about as much out of Nolan as could be expected out of a coaching change.

Now they need to upgrade the roster. The top 6 wasn't nearly good enough -- and that was before they traded Pommer and Vanek.

Myers, and i like how Grigorenko is getting better to.

Stafford was already doing better before nolan came.

Definetly Myers. I'm still not seeing much from Grigorenko though. I'll keep giving him time as he's a rookie but I barely notice him out there.

Hmmm what would have a coach Nolan done when we still had Vanek and Pommers? With Hodgson and the new compete level we would have been contending for the playoffs. With a few upgrades maybe more could have been possible?

Maybe the core was not broken, maybe with a fresh management and coach directly after Tp took over we could have been a candidate for deeper playoff runs ( not a cup).

But whatsoever this happened 3 years later ( too late for the option above)

@OP question: They improved all over the board, Some( Myers, Leino) more than others ( Ehrhoff, who already competed before, he is just so professional) Is Nolan the hero who saves us? I don't know.I believe the new GM will choose another coach.

Stafford has been playing better but lets not pretend that all he needs to be is a decent hockey player in order to be tradable. He needs to be scoring goals if we're flipping him for something at the deadline.

The entire team gives a better effort on some nights, and I no longer have as many crushes on the team. So meh.

Hmmm what would have a coach Nolan done when we still had Vanek and Pommers? With Hodgson and the new compete level we would have been contending for the playoffs. With a few upgrades maybe more could have been possible?

Maybe the core was not broken, maybe with a fresh management and coach directly after Tp took over we could have been a candidate for deeper playoff runs ( not a cup).

@OP question: They improved all over the board, Some( Myers, Leino) more than others ( Ehrhoff, who already competed before, he is just so professional) Is Nolan the hero who saves us? I don't know.I believe the new GM will choose another coach.

You bring up a great point with Pommers and Vanek. If Pegula would have cleaned house when he took over the team things might be different right now.

:wallbash:

I disagree with all of this. The reason Regier had to go is because he had just poorly constructed the roster. In almost every way. Keeping guys like Pominville and Vanek (and still not having a legit top center) wouldn't have made this team any better. I mean this team, record wise, is just as bad/worse than it was before the change.

I disagree with all of this. The reason Regier had to go is because he had just poorly constructed the roster. In almost every way. Keeping guys like Pominville and Vanek (and still not having a legit top center) wouldn't have made this team any better. I mean this team, record wise, is just as bad/worse than it was before the change.

But they didn't have to get rid of Pommer and Vanek to add a good center and the other guys they need. They got rid of them because they decided they needed a complete teardown and wanted to accumulate draft picks and prospects.

Pommer shouldn't have been made captain -- that was Lindy's mistake. And the rest of it, as you pointed out, was Darcy's mistake. But unloading those guys, instead of ameliorating that mistake, exacerbated it.

That you disagree is fine, we won't have proof. The issue was that Ruffs massage was old, the players did not compete, Regier of course signed the wrong players. A new GM and coach could have changed the whole team. An extreme example are the Penguins before their cup run ( totally different team situation, but nevertheless an example). Every team has some proven stars. Maybe with the right compete level and some smart signings a lot more could have been possible ( or not, because it happened what happened)

But they didn't have to get rid of Pommer and Vanek to add a good center and the other guys they need. They got rid of them because they decided they needed a complete teardown and wanted to accumulate draft picks and prospects.

Pommer shouldn't have been made captain -- that was Lindy's mistake. And the rest of it, as you pointed out, was Darcy's mistake. But unloading those guys, instead of ameliorating that mistake, exacerbated it.

Agreed. You would be hard pressed to find a game that Jason Pominville slacked off in. He was the best two-way offensive player on the team and very much someone you could build around. Just saying it didn't have to be a complete burn down but DR lost his ability to accurately assess the teams needs and to fairly assess who was garbage and who wasn't.

That's pretty absurd. You don't jettison two 1st line players and somehow not get worse. The team may not have been good with them, but it assuredly would be better.

I think more than anything he has given the players a coach they can respect and trust. With RR they had no trust or confidence. RR screamed rebuild. Nolan gives the bench and the locker room some credibility.

The talent is what it is and the results won't be anything significantly better right now. I think moving forward the dividends will be huge.

Archived