Should the Sabres keep: Miller, Moulson, or Ott?

LGR4GM

Should the Sabres keep them?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Ryan Miller

• Yes, keep him
    • Maybe, if willing to sign a fair deal b4 trade deadline
    • No, get what you can and move forward
  2. 2. Matt Moulson

• Yes, keep him
  3. 3. Steve Ott

• Yes, keep him

So this being talked about in multiple threads but I wanted to see what the board felt like as a whole. Pat Lafontaine has already said that they will trade if the deal is right, before or after a GM gets hired.

Personally for me I would try and keep all 3. That may seem weird but I think Miller is worth more with a new contract and can be traded in the offseason if you can get him to resign (I doubt he will). Right now I think it is a crap shoot if we can get something for Ryan simply because of the market. Ryan is clearly playing like one of the best and would make just about any team better.

Moulson I actually really like. He is smart with his passing and quick with his shooting. His decision making is quite good and since RR and DR got fired after he was here only a short while, he wasn't tarnished by that fiasco. He gives us our only real, proven top 6 winger and I think should be resigned to something like a 5yr deal.

Ott is a must. Until Nolan came I was unsure but suddenly it is like Steve Ott has been resurrected from the dead. I wouldn't give him a huge raise because he doesn't contribute enough on the scoresheet to justify that but maybe you could convince him. 3.75-4mil for 4years or something like that. I have heard ppl on here toss out 5mil 5years but that is rediculous. He is a 3rd line energy guy with enough skill to be on the 2nd line when needed. So even if you look at him as a 2nd line winger, that puts him at most with his production at around 4mil with the current cap. Hard to tell with Steve but I hope he stays.

What say you?

Miller: He's gone, everyone just needs to accept it and move on. Get what you can for him.

Moulson: Definitely get what you can for him, he's going to a contender in UFA for sure, and I can't blame him either. Would be really nice if he re-signed for 3, but just don't see it happening.

Ott: Keep him, worth his maturity and compete level to have him around the young guys.

Miller: He's gone, everyone just needs to accept it and move on. Get what you can for him.

Moulson: Definitely get what you can for him, he's going to a contender in UFA for sure, and I can't blame him either. Would be really nice if he re-signed for 3, but just don't see it happening.

Ott: Keep him, worth his maturity and compete level to have him around the young guys.

3years or 3million?

3years or 3million?

3 for 4/4.5. If he can keep consistency with scoring. If not, then 3/3.5. I'm not concerned about a 3 year contract for 4 to 4.5 mil cap hit given how much is going to be coming off the payroll at the end of this season. It's good length and gives enough time to sort through the youth's contracts in 3 years.

I just don't see Moulson as the type of player to stick around to be a mentor/teacher of the game for the youngens. To much compete in him and I'd speculate he wants to win a Cup.

If Miller won't commit in season to a new contract then move him for whatever you get.

If we can convince Moulson to sign a 1st line LW deal I see no reason not to. It isn't like there is a 1st line LW waiting in the wings in our system to replace him.

If Ott will take 2nd line money I think he is a good re-sign. He may be a 3rd line player but he has intangibles that make him worth more than the typical 3rd liner.

A phrase I'm already tired of........compete level. Sorry, nothing personal.

I like the idea for the poll but I think the questions might need a bit of tweaking. The "maybe -- it depends on what they can get for him and his willingness to re-sign" option kinda swallows the question.

So it might be useful to include the assumption that the player is willing to re-sign before the trading deadline at a fair contract (i.e. the Sabres don't have to pay him 30% more than any other team would just to keep him).

Under that assumption, I voted to keep all 3.

I like the idea for the poll but I think the questions might need a bit of tweaking. The "maybe -- it depends on what they can get for him and his willingness to re-sign" option kinda swallows the question.

So it might be useful to include the assumption that the player is willing to re-sign before the trading deadline at a fair contract (i.e. the Sabres don't have to pay him 30% more than any other team would just to keep him).

Under that assumption, I voted to keep all 3.

So something like

Maybe, if willing to sign a fair deal?

o plz let us not lose our 1873871397th captain in the past 7 years again

sign ott, realistically speaking the org. may just part ways with miller, maybe trade moulson for picks but I actually like him wouldn't mind him being signed, and his home is close to BUF.. I don't think ott will re-sign though I think I remember someone say that he said he wants to go to a contender,,,.... but who doesn't? It's a really tough call. Glad I'm not the GM ;)

Bingo.

No, No, and No. Are we really talking about this? Every time the Sabres are set for a rebuild, we have to panic and try to hold on to what we have?

Miller is 33 and we're building around guys who are 23 and younger. Not a great fit and I think he's interested in making a run this year instead of spending the next few years hoping he can lead the kids to a playoff spot.

Moulson has no reason to want to stay in Buffalo and Ott is probably more valuable to us as a trade piece than as a long term solution to anything.

No, No, and No. Are we really talking about this? Every time the Sabres are set for a rebuild, we have to panic and try to hold on to what we have?

Miller is 33 and we're building around guys who are 23 and younger. Not a great fit and I think he's interested in making a run this year instead of spending the next few years hoping he can lead the kids to a playoff spot.

Moulson has no reason to want to stay in Buffalo and Ott is probably more valuable to us as a trade piece than as a long term solution to anything.

:clapping:

If Miller won't commit in season to a new contract then move him for whatever you get.

If we can convince Moulson to sign a 1st line LW deal I see no reason not to. It isn't like there is a 1st line LW waiting in the wings in our system to replace him.

If Ott will take 2nd line money I think he is a good re-sign. He may be a 3rd line player but he has intangibles that make him worth more than the typical 3rd liner.

joelarmia.jpg

My guesses on eventual destinations:

Ryan Miller to St. Louis for a first and Max Gardiner (talented young kid from Pegulaville aka Penn State).

Steve Ott stays beyond the deadline, but might walk in free agency. If he is traded, my guess is he heads to the Canucks for a first and third.

Matt Moulson to the Rangers for a first in either 14 or 15 and a 4th this year. (Rangers need scoring, and they know that Moulson would most likely extend as his family stayed in NY).

I wish things were different because I really like Miller, and I still think he has a good 3 more years left in the tank; however, crap, he is at the end of his career, and to be fair to him, he should be given a chance to win the Cup.

Can the Sabres be Cup contenders in 3 years? :mellow: It would be a miracle if they were.

To me, Moulson seems like the right guy , but the wrong time.

Steve Ott I think is the right guy at the right time; however, once again, he doesn't have a lot of years left, will he want to stay?

It doesn't sound like Miller is going anywhere, anytime soon.

Even though Ryan Miller has owned the Leafs in his career with a 30-15-1 record, Nolan said he wanted to see a game with Jhonas Enroth in goal. He wasn’t impressed. It sounds like Miller is going to get the bulk of the work going forward.

“Now we know,” Nolan said. “We have one of the best goaltenders in the league. We’re going to monitor some rest time and ride the horse.”

Link

Archived