Should the Sabres keep: Miller, Moulson, or Ott?

LGR4GM

Should the Sabres keep them?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Ryan Miller

• Yes, keep him
    • Maybe, if willing to sign a fair deal b4 trade deadline
    • No, get what you can and move forward
  2. 2. Matt Moulson

• Yes, keep him
  3. 3. Steve Ott

• Yes, keep him

I'd be happy to see any and all of the 3 guys mentioned extended if they were willing to resign before the deadline, unless we are blown away by an offer. Any of them that won't resign need to be traded though, preferably for prospects who will be ready to contribute sooner rather than later.

Miller is likely gone and I have scenario where he stays and its actually useful for us.

If Moulson is willing take 5 at 6mil before the deadline I'd keep him.

Ott needs to resign seeing as with the other two vets on the fence or in the other yard practically, we need vets to serve as examples to the youngsters.

All in all, if we end up trading all 3, I would expect Buffalo to heavily pursue at least 3 to 4 vets to help the team build. I don't want Edm has which is a bipolar hockey club with defensive troubles.

I really hope someone gets smart and gets Enroth out of the system regardless of Miller. I love Jhonas, but he'll never be an NHL starter.

I love him too, but I agree; his size is what kills him and in the modern NHL that is a major problem. I wonder if we could pry Allen/Fawst/Gibson from hteir respective teams and deal Enroth to a team in need of a goalie.

Nolan's not wrong. Nobody disagrees that Miller is the clear best goalie on this team and the workhorse. But it's not about that. And it hasn't been for a long time.

If there's any opportunity to re-sign Miller, I expect Lafontaine to sign him. He and Nolan don't seem like the type of guys to gamble with goaltending.

I like Jhonas as a backup, but not a long-term starter, Hackett has not impressed, and anyone in the system is at least three years away. If any of Ott, Moulson, or Miller can be used to pry a 22-year-old goalie ready to compete for the number one spot, it should be done.

I like Jhonas as a backup, but not a long-term starter, Hackett has not impressed, and anyone in the system is at least three years away. If any of Ott, Moulson, or Miller can be used to pry a 22-year-old goalie ready to compete for the number one spot, it should be done.

Which is why I would be ecstatic if Patty and/or new GM could talk Miller into a 4-5 year deal. I'd like him on this team until one of our younger goalies like Makarov or Ullmark is ready to challenge. For the record, Makarov is my bet. Extending Miller gives us time to find out.

If there's any opportunity to re-sign Miller, I expect Lafontaine to sign him. He and Nolan don't seem like the type of guys to gamble with goaltending.

There is no gamble. Miller will be on the decline by the time this team is even trying to be relevant.

If Moulson is willing take 5 at 6mil before the deadline I'd keep him.

I'm okay with overpaying to keep a guy like Moulson, but I wouldn't go over $5 mill.

Nolan's not wrong. Nobody disagrees that Miller is the clear best goalie on this team and the workhorse. But it's not about that. And it hasn't been for a long time.

Unfortunately, I don't expect the bolded is as true as it should be.

Maybe I've just caught this board at the wrong time, but it seems I've read a lot of posts stating that Miller needs to go to give Jhonas his well deserved chance to be a starter and he's as good as Ryan anyhow.

I really hope someone gets smart and gets Enroth out of the system regardless of Miller. I love Jhonas, but he'll never be an NHL starter.

He'll in all likely never be a quality starter, but he is a quality backup. Except for possibly Hackett, there's no one else in the organization that does grade out as a quality backup today. They won't get anything of value for him, so they might as well keep him until he decides to go back to Europe.

Now, if Miller re-signs, and Hackett looks ready for backup duty, then go for that 6th rounder or add him as filler in a bigger deal (kind of like how the Sabres got Hackett).

Incorrect.

Unfortunately, I don't expect the bolded is as true as it should be.

Maybe I've just caught this board at the wrong time, but it seems I've read a lot of posts stating that Miller needs to go to give Jhonas his well deserved chance to be a starter and he's as good as Ryan anyhow.

He'll in all likely never be a quality starter, but he is a quality backup. Except for possibly Hackett, there's no one else in the organization that does grade out as a quality backup today. They won't get anything of value for him, so they might as well keep him until he decides to go back to Europe.

Now, if Miller re-signs, and Hackett looks ready for backup duty, then go for that 6th rounder or add him as filler in a bigger deal (kind of like how the Sabres got Hackett).

Beat me to it. And I agree with the rest of this as well.

I vote yes, yes and yes ... keep them all

If it is true that the tear it down to studs program is over, then the rebuild needs some studs.

This.

According to a host of ppl this summer Enroth is better than Ryan Miller! However I think Enroth can be a solid high end backup but I think he lacks the consistency to be a #1 for more than a couple seasons.

Which is why I would be ecstatic if Patty and/or new GM could talk Miller into a 4-5 year deal. I'd like him on this team until one of our younger goalies like Makarov or Ullmark is ready to challenge. For the record, Makarov is my bet. Extending Miller gives us time to find out.

I will take the opposite. Ullmark will be the starting goaltender if he comes to NA. He has major skills.

According to a host of ppl this summer Enroth is better than Ryan Miller! However I think Enroth can be a solid high end backup but I think he lacks the consistency to be a #1 for more than a couple seasons.

I will take the opposite. Ullmark will be the starting goaltender if he comes to NA. He has major skills.

I'm not sure it was a "host" of peopel saying Enroth was better. In fact, I can only recall two or three very vocal folks in particular.

The only thing Enroth is better at than Ryan Miller is having a last name that sounds like a bad guy from Lord of the Rings. But Enroth deserves a shot to be the full-time guy. And if he struggles then he could still be a serviceable backup. But you're not getting anything out of Enroth in a trade.

The only thing Enroth is better at than Ryan Miller is having a last name that sounds like a bad guy from Lord of the Rings. But Enroth deserves a shot to be the full-time guy. And if he struggles then he could still be a serviceable backup. But you're not getting anything out of Enroth in a trade.

Disagree, It all depends on the situation another team may be in and what the Sabres would take for him. Your not going to get a bunch of high picks or a 1st from someone for him, but a 2nd, maybe a 3rd, or a mid level prospect may be something a team like Nashville could give up for Enroth to fill in until Rinne is back. A team in that situation, where they have a #1 already who is going to be out for a while but will be back this season won't be paying a huge price to get someone like a Miller or Hiller, etc. (Guys that are #1's) to fill in for a few months. With Enroth they get a young goalie with upside and potential who right now may be able to keep you afloat until the #1 is healthy, and then be a solid backup. You may even get more for Enroth right now then Miller only becuase there are very few teams right now who are looking for a new full time #1 goalie and willing to pay for it.

Problem now is that you don't let Enroth go if you can't convince Miller to re-sign here first. I would say with the front office change, and the new guys focusing on les suffering, and quicker rebuild, you might be able to convince Miller to stick around, and having a steady presence in net isn't going to hurt this team or a rebuild. They have enough picks already. The problem with Regiers plan was that it required ALOT of variables beyond their control to fall into place, and alot of hoping things go well and players develop. His biggest issue was not being aggressive and not willing to cut ties sooner, rather then later. No team has been successfully rebuilt using only the draft, even the Pens required an aggressive push into FA and some trades to build what they have and maintain it. The feeling I am getting now from PFL is that he knows they need to be aggressive and is looking for someone who has the same vision. they know they have alot of potential in the pipeline for the future, but he doesn't feel they have to be embarrassingly bad to succeed in turning things around

There seems to be a fairly strong feeling here that miller won't get much, some say a second at best.

There seems to be an even stronger feeling that he will be getting a huge contract as a UFA.

Those two scenarios don't add up.

If teams like the guy enough to throw a wad of cash at him, why wouldn't they pay for him in a trade too?

Or if they wouldn't give up more than a second for him, why would suddenly turn around a throw $30 million at him.

Miller is a difference maker. Guys like Jordan Leopold get traded for second rounders.

There seems to be a fairly strong feeling here that miller won't get much, some say a second at best.

There seems to be an even stronger feeling that he will be getting a huge contract as a UFA.

Those two scenarios don't add up.

If teams like the guy enough to throw a wad of cash at him, why wouldn't they pay for him in a trade too?

Or if they wouldn't give up more than a second for him, why would suddenly turn around a throw $30 million at him.

Miller is a difference maker. Guys like Jordan Leopold get traded for second rounders.

I agree, but I think supply and demand will play a big role too. I don't think there are many buyers for Miller in the pre-deadline frenzy -- but there are a ton of buyers for a decent defenseman like Leopold or a scoring winger like Moulson.

I agree, but I think supply and demand will play a big role too. I don't think there are many buyers for Miller in the pre-deadline frenzy -- but there are a ton of buyers for a decent defenseman like Leopold or a scoring winger like Moulson.

I basically agree with this. On top of that, the deadline trade market and the UFA market are not the same, and cannot be directly compared. I think what a team may be willing to pay Miller after their goaltending flops in the playoffs isn't representative of what they're willing to give up for him in a trade to possibly prevent the possibility of goaltending costing them a series.

There is no gamble. Miller will be on the decline by the time this team is even trying to be relevant.

I'm okay with overpaying to keep a guy like Moulson, but I wouldn't go over $5 mill.

There are several goalies who play well into their mid to late thirties. Do you think LaFontaine is planning

on a return to relavancy that takes 5 years? Miller will still be a contributor in this league at age 38.

Disagree, It all depends on the situation another team may be in and what the Sabres would take for him. Your not going to get a bunch of high picks or a 1st from someone for him, but a 2nd, maybe a 3rd, or a mid level prospect may be something a team like Nashville could give up for Enroth to fill in until Rinne is back. A team in that situation, where they have a #1 already who is going to be out for a while but will be back this season won't be paying a huge price to get someone like a Miller or Hiller, etc. (Guys that are #1's) to fill in for a few months. With Enroth they get a young goalie with upside and potential who right now may be able to keep you afloat until the #1 is healthy, and then be a solid backup. You may even get more for Enroth right now then Miller only becuase there are very few teams right now who are looking for a new full time #1 goalie and willing to pay for it.

Problem now is that you don't let Enroth go if you can't convince Miller to re-sign here first. I would say with the front office change, and the new guys focusing on les suffering, and quicker rebuild, you might be able to convince Miller to stick around, and having a steady presence in net isn't going to hurt this team or a rebuild. They have enough picks already. The problem with Regiers plan was that it required ALOT of variables beyond their control to fall into place, and alot of hoping things go well and players develop. His biggest issue was not being aggressive and not willing to cut ties sooner, rather then later. No team has been successfully rebuilt using only the draft, even the Pens required an aggressive push into FA and some trades to build what they have and maintain it. The feeling I am getting now from PFL is that he knows they need to be aggressive and is looking for someone who has the same vision. they know they have alot of potential in the pipeline for the future, but he doesn't feel they have to be embarrassingly bad to succeed in turning things around

The Sabres would be lucky to get a third rounder out of Enroth.

There are several goalies who play well into their mid to late thirties. Do you think LaFontaine is planning

on a return to relavancy that takes 5 years? Miller will still be a contributor in this league at age 38.

That's debatable. Most goalies don't consistently face 40 shots a night. And LaFontaine can plan for whatever he wants, but unless one of these young guys turns into a leader instantly it's going to be a few years. Miller has absolutely (not an exaggeration) no reason to want to be here. You can claim that maybe he wants to stay in buffalo for his career, but if that were really a factor he would've resigned a while ago.

That's debatable. Most goalies don't consistently face 40 shots a night. And LaFontaine can plan for whatever he wants, but unless one of these young guys turns into a leader instantly it's going to be a few years. Miller has absolutely (not an exaggeration) no reason to want to be here. You can claim that maybe he wants to stay in buffalo for his career, but if that were really a factor he would've resigned a while ago.

Well he couldn't sign until July 1 of this year. That being said DR made it clear in my mind, that Ryan Miller was not part of his future plan and he had intentions to move the GT. That is the way it always seemed to me reading btw the lines with how DR talked. I am not saying he will or wants to stay but I think until a new GM comes in Miller will be in limbo unless some team comes up with a great trade for him.

Lafontaine has to make a decision on Miller before July, so he doesn't have he luxury of waiting on the young guys development. My guess is that he's not following the Regier plan of a total tank.

My guess is that he figures that a majority of the five first rounders will be able to contribute in two or three years. Add to them a couple of smart trades and FA signings, throw in some gritty coaching. And the team could be competative again in 2 or 3 years.

At that time Miller will be 35. Still a viable age for good goaltenders. Poor goaltending could threaten that climb. So does he bank on A known commodity or does he play goaltender roulette. I think it's feasible that he views Miller as part of the turn-around.

Of course, he could get an offer he can't refuse, or Miller could decide he wants out. My guess is, though, that if LaFontaine makes him an offer, Miller will sign. Miller seems like a Nolan/LaFontaine type of guy.

Archived