Should the Sabres keep: Miller, Moulson, or Ott?

LGR4GM

Should the Sabres keep them?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Ryan Miller

• Yes, keep him
    • Maybe, if willing to sign a fair deal b4 trade deadline
    • No, get what you can and move forward
  2. 2. Matt Moulson

• Yes, keep him
  3. 3. Steve Ott

• Yes, keep him

I am extremely doubtful enroth would fetch more them miller! No matter what the scenario. It just doesn't make sense whatsoever

Its doubtful, I agree, but not unlikely

There are alot of things that can keep a team from being willing to give up alot for Miller

- Every day he is a Sabre is a day closer to him becoming a UFA, with no guarantees he will not want to test the FA market

- He is making $5+ million right now, and teams may not have the cap room to fit his contract in

- He has a list of teams he can't be moved to (unless he is willing to waive those teams and go anywhere) which limits the pool of possible teams

- The pool becomes even more limited when teams that would be looking for a rental for the playoffs is even slimmer because most playoff/contending teams have decent/good starting goaltending already

- The Sabres don't want to just give him away

Enroth may get more in a return because

- He is younger and has the always popular "potential" that may be reached if given a shot

- He is cheaper, and has shown at times he can fill in and play well for a bit which could be viewed as more valuable to playoff teams who have a starter who is battling injuries right now where he can fill in for the short term now, and be a reliable backup if the starter goes down again

The problem with getting any serious value for Miller right now is that there aren't many playoff teams looking for a new starter, or a REALLY expensive backup

Just look at the Luongo/Schneider situation last year. Everyone thought Luo was being moved, but the Canucks best return was to deal Schneider, the backup

Doesn't seem to contain any inside info. Sounds like a blog post of a guy who hopes the Blues can acquire Miller for cheap.

It was just his opinion column with a few facts basically saying that he wishes Miller could be moved to St Louis like any rumors may suggest, but that he doesn't believe that it will happen due to the circumstances he outlines.

It was just his opinion column with a few facts basically saying that he wishes Miller could be moved to St Louis like any rumors may suggest, but that he doesn't believe that it will happen due to the circumstances he outlines.

Ah, figured as much. A Blues blog recently had a debate about whether to trade for Miller and concluded that they should. They're one of the teams that always comes up. So that's likely why he felt the need to write it.

Major hole in your theory, so we have to pay these 3 guys(who already live in Buffalo and play with the team) 30% more then the next suitor. How do you propose we go into the free agency and sign all these huge '' assets" in the FA sign with us. They will be less likely to sign here and we will have to pay them 45% more by your logic

Sorry but I have read this 10 times and can't figure out what your saying.

Its doubtful, I agree, but not unlikely

There are alot of things that can keep a team from being willing to give up alot for Miller

- Every day he is a Sabre is a day closer to him becoming a UFA, with no guarantees he will not want to test the FA market

- He is making $5+ million right now, and teams may not have the cap room to fit his contract in

- He has a list of teams he can't be moved to (unless he is willing to waive those teams and go anywhere) which limits the pool of possible teams

- The pool becomes even more limited when teams that would be looking for a rental for the playoffs is even slimmer because most playoff/contending teams have decent/good starting goaltending already

- The Sabres don't want to just give him away

Enroth may get more in a return because

- He is younger and has the always popular "potential" that may be reached if given a shot

- He is cheaper, and has shown at times he can fill in and play well for a bit which could be viewed as more valuable to playoff teams who have a starter who is battling injuries right now where he can fill in for the short term now, and be a reliable backup if the starter goes down again

The problem with getting any serious value for Miller right now is that there aren't many playoff teams looking for a new starter, or a REALLY expensive backup

Just look at the Luongo/Schneider situation last year. Everyone thought Luo was being moved, but the Canucks best return was to deal Schneider, the backup

I see where your coming from, Miller would be alot harder to move and I agree with 90% of what your saying here! Loungo/schneider is a much different scenario because schneider was set to become a starting goalie where as enroth is not quite there yet, and Loungo was hard to move because of his ridiculous contract. The only thing I disagree with is enroth fetching more of a return. If we did move miller to a team that was a contender(not many but a few such as st louis) he would bring in alot more then enroth could(we could eat a portion of his salary to make it work) . Basically the point I'm trying to make is miller if traded is alot more valuable then enroth. There is no scenario where enroth would fetch more then Miller! However we would have alot less trouble moving him. Miller if traded would get us at least a 1st(worst case scenario) where as enroth would be a 2nd(best case scenario)

Sorry but I have read this 10 times and can't figure out what your saying.

Yeah they way I wrote it doesn't really make sense sorry. Let's try this: No big names in the free agency want to sign with a bottom dweller so the FA isn't much of an option for us at the moment! Where as Moulson, Ott and miller know our system and are the most likely(not the best choices) to re-sign with us. Let's not forget something called the cap floor. You were saying let's not overpay these guys by 30% but any other player will want that much of a raise to come to buffalo right now. I truly believe we should, and will re-sign the trio

I see where your coming from, Miller would be alot harder to move and I agree with 90% of what your saying here! Loungo/schneider is a much different scenario because schneider was set to become a starting goalie where as enroth is not quite there yet, and Loungo was hard to move because of his ridiculous contract. The only thing I disagree with is enroth fetching more of a return. If we did move miller to a team that was a contender(not many but a few such as st louis) he would bring in alot more then enroth could(we could eat a portion of his salary to make it work) . Basically the point I'm trying to make is miller if traded is alot more valuable then enroth. There is no scenario where enroth would fetch more then Miller! However we would have alot less trouble moving him. Miller if traded would get us at least a 1st(worst case scenario) where as enroth would be a 2nd(best case scenario)

Yeah they way I wrote it doesn't really make sense sorry. Let's try this: No big names in the free agency want to sign with a bottom dweller so the FA isn't much of an option for us at the moment! Where as Moulson, Ott and miller know our system and are the most likely(not the best choices) to re-sign with us. Let's not forget something called the cap floor. You were saying let's not overpay these guys by 30% but any other player will want that much of a raise to come to buffalo right now. I truly believe we should, and will re-sign the trio

I have changed my stance on this topic since my original post weeks ago. With the cap floor being an issue I think we have to sign at least 2 of the 3. We also need some veterans around here that actually belong in the NHL not the AHL. I think Miller is gone and we overpay Ott and Moulson to stay. Given our forwards (or lack thereof) I am ok with overpaying.

I have changed my stance on this topic since my original post weeks ago. With the cap floor being an issue I think we have to sign at least 2 of the 3. We also need some veterans around here that actually belong in the NHL not the AHL. I think Miller is gone and we overpay Ott and Moulson to stay. Given our forwards (or lack thereof) I am ok with overpaying.

Glad to hear it:) I really hope we can keep Miller, but I am doubtful. Also after re reading the post that didn't make sense I realized I came across quite rude and for that I apologize!

This board constantly says that Enroth is too small and isn't an NHL starter and that Miller is one of the best in the game... But then turns around and says the Enroth might get more in a trade.

Not "this board". One poster.

This board constantly says that Enroth is too small and isn't an NHL starter and that Miller is one of the best in the game... But then turns around and says the Enroth might get more in a trade.

How exactly did this board become a monolith? :huh:

Most (not ALL) here realize Miller is better than Enroth. ONE of those posters posited a theory for how Enroth COULD bring in more than Miller would and why he thinks that could happen. That doesn't mean everyone expects Enroth to bring in more.

I've seen multiple posts saying that we should move Enroth. Some specifically mentioning the Cory Schneider trade as evidence that Enroth would get more.

I'm pretty sure they all had apusczulowski as their author.

No way I am looking for the correct spelling of that mess of consonants.

The more accurate thing to say is that multiple posters bash Enroth and then say we should trade him and keep Miller. If Enroth is such garbage then he's not returning anything. There has only been two or three implications that Enroth would return more than Miller coupled with the claim that Enroth is terrible.

The more accurate thing to say is that multiple posters bash Enroth and then say we should trade him and keep Miller. If Enroth is such garbage then he's not returning anything. There has only been two or three implications that Enroth would return more than Miller coupled with the claim that Enroth is terrible.

Yeah. Opinions. Internet forums. Yada yada yada.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, where did I ever say that Enroth was garbage? I have never said that or felt that way, what I have said was that I don't think he is anyway as good as or better then Miller or that I think he is or should be the starter here

And just because Miller is better then Enroth, it doesn't mean in the real world/NHL Miller automatically is going to have a greater return if dealt. Sure in a perfect world, if you take away pending UFA status, salaries/salarycap, age, and demand for a starter or a fill-in goaltender Miller would bring in the better return, but there are other factors to consider that could make Enroth a better trade chip with a better return

But keep trying to be Mr. KnowItAll here and talk about the accuracy of other peoples posts and thoughts

You really need to learn how to pick up on the details in what people write instead of crafting wild exaggerations.

I wonder if the Sabres Mangement team is willing to make Ryan the highest paid player in hockey like they were going to do for Vanek, before they forgot to make that offer, and traded him.. LOL

I don't believe the report about the Vanek offer.

Ryan Miller is the ONLY star on this team.

without him, you can plan on finishing DEAD LAST for the next 3 years.

the key to Ted Nolan's hardest working team approach is a goalie who can stand on his head....ala Hasek.

you will need to make Miller the highest paid goalie in the league ($8 mil/yr for 8 years) or he will test free agency.....and be gone.

your going to have to overpay an all star caliber player to come here anyways.....might as well be him.

you build from the net out.

I dunno, papzoid. I think if Nolan had an offense to work with, part of the "hardest working team" approach would be to have significant offensive zone presence and puck possession. That would help out the D quite a bit, which, as a result, would help out the goalie.

Right now, on their bad nights, I think it doesn't matter MOST games which of the two is in net; if you're a goalie getting peppered with ~40 shots, and maybe a 5th of them are quality chances, some are going to go in.

Don't get me wrong, I would be happy if they re-signed Miller, but I don't know if, as the team is rebuilt, the Sabres would be bottom-dwellers for the next three seasons.

Archived