Should the Sabres keep: Miller, Moulson, or Ott?

LGR4GM

Should the Sabres keep them?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Ryan Miller

• Yes, keep him
    • Maybe, if willing to sign a fair deal b4 trade deadline
    • No, get what you can and move forward
  2. 2. Matt Moulson

• Yes, keep him
  3. 3. Steve Ott

• Yes, keep him

Lafontaine has to make a decision on Miller before July, so he doesn't have he luxury of waiting on the young guys development. My guess is that he's not following the Regier plan of a total tank.

My guess is that he figures that a majority of the five first rounders will be able to contribute in two or three years. Add to them a couple of smart trades and FA signings, throw in some gritty coaching. And the team could be competative again in 2 or 3 years.

At that time Miller will be 35. Still a viable age for good goaltenders. Poor goaltending could threaten that climb. So does he bank on A known commodity or does he play goaltender roulette. I think it's feasible that he views Miller as part of the turn-around.

Of course, he could get an offer he can't refuse, or Miller could decide he wants out. My guess is, though, that if LaFontaine makes him an offer, Miller will sign. Miller seems like a Nolan/LaFontaine type of guy.

I dont want him waiting until July to make a decision, my hope is hes either working on a deal or working on an extension. Either way you cant let arguably the best tender in the league take off for nothing.

And yes, i do think that given a sound defense in front of him he is still the best netminder in the league. You can't just let that walk for nothing.

I dont want him waiting until July to make a decision, my hope is hes either working on a deal or working on an extension. Either way you cant let arguably the best tender in the league take off for nothing.

And yes, i do think that given a sound defense in front of him he is still the best netminder in the league. You can't just let that walk for nothing.

Though I'd prefer the extension, they'd better be working both angles right now.

I vote yes, yes and yes ... keep them all

If it is true that the tear it down to studs program is over, then the rebuild needs some studs.

Has anyone said anything close to this? The rebuild will continue, they're just hiring a new carpenter. The firing of Regier was a major first step. it didn't eliminate the roster/talent issues and it doesn't immediately resolve league wide perceptions of this franchise. What we do have is a clear starting point. The next step is bringing in a GM.

It's June 30th. Miller is a King, Moulson is a Red Wing and Ott is a Duck. They have never been a Sabre. Who of those 3 would you want us to pursue on July 1 considering our current team and plan? In addition, you will most likely have to pay them 30% more than the next suitor.

My point is they are all basically FA's after the trade deadline. Lump them in with the rest of the FA's and I think you could spend your money more wisely. Use them to acquire as many assets as you can.

It's June 30th. Miller is a King, Moulson is a Red Wing and Ott is a Duck. They have never been a Sabre. Who of those 3 would you want us to pursue on July 1 considering our current team and plan? In addition, you will most likely have to pay them 30% more than the next suitor.

My point is they are all basically FA's after the trade deadline. Lump them in with the rest of the FA's and I think you could spend your money more wisely. Use them to acquire as many assets as you can.

All of them and sign the 1st two who agree to a contract.

Very interesting perspective. The team needs some players, and not just paper assets (draft picks), though.

Eggzactly

SickNFla's perspective is interesting indeed but I think overlooks one key point: we know quite a bit more about Miller and Ott (and to a much lesser extent, Moulson) than we do about the other UFAs who will be on the market on July 1. So the risk of uncertainty as to how each will fit here is not a factor -- i.e. we don't have to worry about a Leino-type mistake. That helps justify paying the higher price, if you are so inclined.

SickNFla's perspective is interesting indeed but I think overlooks one key point: we know quite a bit more about Miller and Ott (and to a much lesser extent, Moulson) than we do about the other UFAs who will be on the market on July 1. So the risk of uncertainty as to how each will fit here is not a factor -- i.e. we don't have to worry about a Leino-type mistake. That helps justify paying the higher price, if you are so inclined.

Are you talking about fit from a city/culture perspective or team perspective? If the new GM brings in his own coach, as I expect he will, then we can't be sure about the team fit any more than a UFA.

But what about the other side to this coin? We were all excited when Leino was brought in because we didn't know that much but he had "potential" to be really good for us. Moulson is a 3 time 30 goal scorer. Ryan Miller is a top flight GT. Ott is a physical force. So if we just looked at the player and knew little other than their numbers and reps, I think fans might be okay with some overpayment.

The biggest thing clouding up this discussion is that none of us are sure exactly what the new direction is going to be.

We all know Darcys plan was to rip the team down past the studs and foundation and start from scratch, selling off the remaining wood studs and basically planning on growing the forest/trees that they would use to make the studs from to rebuild. It was going to be a long process with no way of accurately being able to predict the outcome. In this case, Miller/Ott/Moulson would probably all want to get out of here ASAP if they want to see the playoffs, let alone a Championship during the remainder of their careers

From what it sounds like, Patty and Nolan would rather find a GM who can rebuild this team by using whats left and whats been stockpiled to rebuild, while going out to Home Depot to pick up the studs and other material they need everything is rebuilt at a much quicker pace. If they decide to be really aggressive (find someone who will deal parts of the collection of picks and prospects) they can turn things around rather quickly and make this much less painful, and this can also convince guys like miller/Ott/Moulson to stick around and be a part of the leadership needed to move things quicker.

Once they higher a new GM, and they all explain what the plans are, things should be much clearer and it will but much easier to say who should be moved and who should be kept

Are you talking about fit from a city/culture perspective or team perspective? If the new GM brings in his own coach, as I expect he will, then we can't be sure about the team fit any more than a UFA.

You are right regarding fit with the coach's system (although this isn't really relevant for Miller), but either way, we have information as to how those 3 fit in with their teammates.

But what about the other side to this coin? We were all excited when Leino was brought in because we didn't know that much but he had "potential" to be really good for us. Moulson is a 3 time 30 goal scorer. Ryan Miller is a top flight GT. Ott is a physical force. So if we just looked at the player and knew little other than their numbers and reps, I think fans might be okay with some overpayment.

Well, I wasn't referring to whether the fans are OK with a given UFA -- and I don't really think that matters. I meant the fit on the ice and in the locker room, and the related impact on hockey productivity.

As for Leino, he produced one good season -- in his contract year, unsurprisingly -- and the Sabres gave him a fat contract, just like they did with Stafford. And yes some of us were glad, but again -- the team should not be signing FAs to get the fans excited. They should be doing so to produce Ws.

• 1 month later...

Half way through the season, Ryan Miller is tied for 5th in the league in SV% among goalies with more than 25 starts, while facing 5-10 more shots per game than any other starting goalie. He has the worst team in the league in front of him.

Is Ryan, right now, in the Vezina conversation? Is he in the lead?

Half way through the season, Ryan Miller is tied for 5th in the league in SV% among goalies with more than 25 starts, while facing 5-10 more shots per game than any other starting goalie. He has the worst team in the league in front of him.

Yes.

Hard to say; picture will be clearer after Olympics.

I think it was during (or on the pre-game before) they were talking olympics and Miller and said that he is definitely in the conversation, and he could be the first winner in about 50 years to win the award for top goaltender on a losing team

I think it was during (or on the pre-game before) they were talking olympics and Miller and said that he is definitely in the conversation, and he could be the first winner in about 50 years to win the award for top goaltender on a losing team

The Paul Hornung of Goalies!!

Disagree, It all depends on the situation another team may be in and what the Sabres would take for him. Your not going to get a bunch of high picks or a 1st from someone for him, but a 2nd, maybe a 3rd, or a mid level prospect may be something a team like Nashville could give up for Enroth to fill in until Rinne is back. A team in that situation, where they have a #1 already who is going to be out for a while but will be back this season won't be paying a huge price to get someone like a Miller or Hiller, etc. (Guys that are #1's) to fill in for a few months. With Enroth they get a young goalie with upside and potential who right now may be able to keep you afloat until the #1 is healthy, and then be a solid backup. You may even get more for Enroth right now then Miller only becuase there are very few teams right now who are looking for a new full time #1 goalie and willing to pay for it.

Problem now is that you don't let Enroth go if you can't convince Miller to re-sign here first. I would say with the front office change, and the new guys focusing on les suffering, and quicker rebuild, you might be able to convince Miller to stick around, and having a steady presence in net isn't going to hurt this team or a rebuild. They have enough picks already. The problem with Regiers plan was that it required ALOT of variables beyond their control to fall into place, and alot of hoping things go well and players develop. His biggest issue was not being aggressive and not willing to cut ties sooner, rather then later. No team has been successfully rebuilt using only the draft, even the Pens required an aggressive push into FA and some trades to build what they have and maintain it. The feeling I am getting now from PFL is that he knows they need to be aggressive and is looking for someone who has the same vision. they know they have alot of potential in the pipeline for the future, but he doesn't feel they have to be embarrassingly bad to succeed in turning things around

I am extremely doubtful enroth would fetch more them miller! No matter what the scenario. It just doesn't make sense whatsoever

By Jeff Gordon jgordon@post-dispatch.com

For a host of reasons, the Buffalo Sabres may not trade goaltender Ryan Miller after all.

Miller has a commanding presence in goal. Although he has delivered just one epic NHL regular season -- in 2009-10, when he went 41-18-8 with a 2.22 goals-against average and .929 save percentage -- he has a take-charge personality.

He is making the most of a terrible situation in Buffalo this season and the Olympics could give him a chance to showcase his skills.

All of this has led many NHL experts to promote the Miller-to-St. Louis theory in advance of the Feb. 8 Olympics roster freeze.

But here are the factors working against such a Miller trade:

Hockey Guy: Will Ryan Miller stay put?

Major hole in your theory, so we have to pay these 3 guys(who already live in Buffalo and play with the team) 30% more then the next suitor. How do you propose we go into the free agency and sign all these huge '' assets" in the FA sign with us. They will be less likely to sign here and we will have to pay them 45% more by your logic

Archived