Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

5 players the Sabres could move on draft day

For the Buffalo Sabres, June 27 could be a franchise-defining day. They own the second overall selection and plenty of assets to move.

One of the biggest questions as we approach draft day will be whether the Sabres should trade current roster players for draft picks, prospects or established players. But who should GM Tim Murray consider trading? Who are the most likely players to be dealt?

Here, we examine the five most likely players to be moved:

Any chance somebody can post the article? It won't open here at my job. I'm having trouble thinking of 5 players they'd possibly move on draft day. Ehrhoff, Stafford, Stewart would be the one I think would be listed. Myers is probably on there. Leino should be a buyout candidate and has zero trade value. Who is listed? McBain?

Any chance somebody can post the article? It won't open here at my job. I'm having trouble thinking of 5 players they'd possibly move on draft day. Ehrhoff, Stafford, Stewart would be the one I think would be listed. Myers is probably on there. Leino should be a buyout candidate and has zero trade value. Who is listed? McBain?

Myers, ehrhoff,hodgson,grigs,staff

Define a bunch. Three mini-Ditkas would have to be the equivalent of at least 2 regular sized Ditkas.

Fair enough.

How many pull-ups could Ditka do? I'm going to say an even 1,000. Not because he could not do more, but because he would become bored once he hit the 1K mark, and there would be more important things requiring his attention at that point.

Thanks rakish and bunomatic. Not sure I agree with their list but all of them make at least some kind of sense. I'd definitely like to keep Hodgson even if they keep him on the wing due to his ability to play center and I wouldn't move Grigorenko because his value doesn't seem like anything we got back would make it worth while. I'd prefer to stockpile centers and push them to the wing as needed.

Tallon: Panthers have received ‘fair offer’ for first overall pick

The 2014 NHL Entry Draft is one of uncertainty. Not only is it not clear who will be taken with the first overall pick, but we can’t say with certainty which team that prospect will play for.

It has been known for a while that Florida has interest in dealing the first overall pick, but the prospect of that happening became a little more realistic after Panthers GM Dale Tallon admitted that he’s received a “fair offer,” per the Toronto Star.

If the Sabres were to trade with Edmonton and get the 3rd pick in the draft (giving them #2 and #3), what would you be comfortable parting with (picks, players)? Who would you like to see them take?

Well, if I'm Edmonton, the conversation starts with one of Buffalo's defensemen. Ehrhoff? Probably although I doubt EDM takes him straight up. You'd probably have to do something like Ehrhoff and Myers/Pysyk for #3 and maybe a young forward prospect. I might make that trade.

EDIT: need to add the Buffalo pick in the 20s too.

Edited by MattPie

If anybody's trading up to the #1 pick its Edmonton. It's become blatantly obvious their core has failed, to the point where the gm(owner?) sent out an apology letter to the fans. They need to make a big change, and quickly. I wouldn't be shocked to see them ship off two if rnh, Yakupov, hall, eberle and the #3 fr the #1

Well, if I'm Edmonton, the conversation starts with one of Buffalo's defensemen. Ehrhoff? Probably although I doubt EDM takes him straight up. You'd probably have to do something like Ehrhoff and Myers/Pysyk for #3 and maybe a young forward prospect. I might make that trade.

EDIT: need to add the Buffalo pick in the 20s too.

That's way too much to give up in this draft and the Sabres don't have a pick in the 20s.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.